SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brake lights backwards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake lights backwards? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
Yesterday I am at a four way stop. The car to my right, a black Chevy Malibu, goes straight. Then I turn left and I am now behind this Chevy Malibu.

I see their brake lights are on and I think to myself, "Ugh, another idiot riding the brakes." But over the course of the next mile or so at 45 mph the lights never go off. Until a car pulled out in front of them and they have to slow down and that is when the brake lights go off. As the other car accelerates and we start to resume normal speed, the brake lights come back on. I think to myself, "That was really weird, it's almost like they are wired backwards. The lights are on when no foot is on the brake pedal. But when a foot touches the brake pedal, the lights go off."

I follow this car for over another mile. We make one 90 degree right hand turn. And then at the next intersection, they make a 90 degree right and I make a 90 degree left. And sure enough, the brake lights were always on, except when the car slowed and that is when the lights went off.

Unfortunately, this was a two lane country road, so I could never get next to this car and warn them of their issue. I am assuming some wiring was installed incorrectly? But I would think that connectors would be made so this sort of thing wasn't even possible? How the heck does this happen?

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CAN it be wired this way ? Absolutely . Especially if it uses a relay . Normally open versus normally closed contacts .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity on my part, did a little searching, but without the year of the Malibu it may not apply. I enjoy automotive electrical problems and actually made a living out of it.
Everything is BCM (Body Control Module) now and each manufacture does it differently.
So to answer your question, Yes, they can work backwards, could be a bad BCM or open/shorted signal connection.
Here is a link to a Malibu forum, Lots of adds in it, It is so nice to be on Sigforum and not have to deal with advertising.
https://www.chevymalibuforum.c...ning-correctly.8519/

Posts: 1307 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
but without the year of the Malibu it may not apply.

Looking online, it was most likely 2008-2012, small possibility it was 2012-2016.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like this from behind?
I recall these having some issues with the LED taillights on the LTZ, could've been something like that causing it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Here is the TSB (service bulletin) from GM on it.
PDF File:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/t...MC-10126014-9999.pdf

Posts: 1307 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
Here is the TSB (service bulletin) from GM on it.

Well all be darned. There it is.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Now all you gotta do is drive around town until you find him and give him a copy of the TSB Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post