SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sea lion mistakes young girl for lunch. Hilarity does not ensue.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sea lion mistakes young girl for lunch. Hilarity does not ensue. Login/Join 
Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
I used to go snorkeling a lot in La Jolla Cove, which has a lot of seals and sea lions. The seals never really did much but sit there, but every so often a sea lion would just screw with you and not leave you alone. And it's really spooky floating in the kelp beds checking out the Girabaldi when this huge dark form comes rushing in at you and then body checks you.

One thing people don't realize is that they're big, and have quite the set of teeth on them. I always gave them a pretty wide berth. I was playing in their pool, after all.

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Odds are higher than you might think that the sea lion really did mistake, her, or actually something on her, to be his next meal.

The girl was wearing a solid white dress, but with red decorations, maybe flowers, on the front and sides. Notice on the hips are large red flowers. They had been feeding the sea lion, and then she puts that red, bite-sized image right there in front of it.

Carnivores, at least the ones in the water, generally know red might mean a feeding opportunity. Sea lions, most likely, are used to keying on red objects such as an injured fish. The one in the video likely lives near a wharf where red colored fish parts probably get dumped into the water daily. It might even compete with other sea lions to try to be the first one to get the part before it hits the water.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Odds are higher than you might think that the sea lion really did mistake, her, or actually something on her, to be his next meal.

The girl was wearing a solid white dress, but with red decorations, maybe flowers, on the front and sides. Notice on the hips are large red flowers. They had been feeding the sea lion, and then she puts that red, bite-sized image right there in front of it.

Carnivores, at least the ones in the water, generally know red might mean a feeding opportunity. Sea lions, most likely, are used to keying on red objects such as an injured fish. The one in the video likely lives near a wharf where red colored fish parts probably get dumped into the water daily. It might even compete with other sea lions to try to be the first one to get the part before it hits the water.

That's an interesting theory. Or another, maybe he wanted her out of the way so someone could feed him.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8914 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Favors Teddy Roosevelt...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yet another example of how hopelessly stupid the general population has become. Do I blame the little girl? Absolutely not given her age. Do I blame the morons standing around her when this happened. Absolutely!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Sea lions have canines the size of a German Shepherd's. They eat penguins. They are apex predators where they live, outclassed only by large sharks, Orcas, and of course, humans. Fortunate child.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
In continuing with the story, the sea lion returned a half hour later as it was still hungry.... Sorry, had to.
Yes stupidity by the parents.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The animal was frustrated. They get fed all the time, which is bad, but this as not predatory behavior.

My wife showed me a more complete vid of this incident where family members are clearly teasing this large predator, repeatedly pretending to feed it to get it to rear up out of the water. It got fed up with not getting fed up, and lashed out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
I know that every single one of you would have been in the water as fast as her relative. No thought to your own safety.

I would have been the one standing there in shock.

Dang, that was scary.

Having never been in such a situation, I really don't know what I would have done. However, I hope I would have been able to immediately leap to the girl's rescue (relative or not) were I there.

Many people today are conditioned to simply stand by gasping and gawking in emergency situations. There is a phenomenon whereby the larger the crowd, the LESS likely it is that anybody will get personally involved (be it an animal attack, auto accident, somebody stabbing their girlfriend to death, etc). It seems that the media and law enforcement are always preaching the "let the professionals handle it" line in these situations, so that people simply stand around waiting for somebody ELSE to come to the rescue. It is called "Diffusion of Responsibility," where people assume there is always 'somebody else' that will get involved.

I respect the heck out of that guy who immediately jumped in to save that girl. He's a real hero (and, of course, he didn't know if there was still a PO'd Sea Lion lurking there to attack him) when he dived in. That was a completely heroic selfless act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...on_of_responsibility
quote:
Diffusion of responsibility[1] is a sociopsychological phenomenon whereby a person is less likely to take responsibility for action or inaction when others are present. Considered a form of attribution, the individual assumes that others either are responsible for taking action or have already done so.[2] The phenomenon tends to occur in groups of people above a certain critical size and when responsibility is not explicitly assigned. It rarely occurs when the person is alone and diffusion increases with groups of three or more.[3][4]

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxYCDbRGJc

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55166 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I was at Glacier Park two weeks ago, Beautiful day, only allowed access in about 5 miles on the East side. We stop at Two Dog Flats and there's a Grizzly with two CUBS ...200 yds away.

Sure enough some folks stop and start walking out into the field! I assumed they may go a few yards for some pics. NO they are headed right out there. I yelled to them to get back and they did. A man and women from New Zealand.

I walked over and apologized for shouting at them and explained WHY I had done it. They were clueless of the danger. I asked them "how close would You have walked up to the bear"?

They both stated, close enough to get "good Photos" of the cubs!!

When it comes to wild animals the average person is an IDIOT.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Quick reaction by the rescuer.
Many people would have just stood there in shock.

I actually thought it a bit slow. But perhaps it takes a few moments to comprehend something so unusual.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
if you were a lifeguard on a beach and a large shark started devouring a swimmer 50 to 100 yds off the beach, would you go in to help them ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8914 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
There are many tourists in Banff, and the ones who get the closest to animals seemingly having no clue of the risks, are from China. The thing is, the risks are clearly posted, and they are even in Mandarin!

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope the rescuer was a relative and knew the girl, because the girl and the (mom?) woman just walked away without thanking him otherwise.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Damn sea lions. Last time I went fishing up in Sitka they would follow the boat around and go after the Kings we were reeling in. I hauled in a lot of salmon that were bitten in half that day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 20551 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
if you were a lifeguard on a beach and a large shark started devouring a swimmer 50 to 100 yds off the beach, would you go in to help them ?

Sharks are endangered and it would be wrong to interfere with their feeding.

Wink

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post