SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Current day Yamaha receivers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current day Yamaha receivers Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Wonder if i can have first hand opinions, please.

Wanting to update my 20 YO Yammy amp, had no better choice than to buy an RX-A2A. My first experience with HDMI and fancy electronics AVR. Because i am a lifelong fan of Yamaha, i stuck with the brand.

Got burned with the HDMI bug, first it’s bundled with the AVR and second there’s no hardware replacement program in my remote neck of the woods.
Then, two years after purchase, the single HDMI out just quit.
My AVR is almost useless without access to a display.

Now planning on redoubling my bet, i’m considering an RX-A4A. All this stuff costs double your regular down here. Expensive to say the least.

But looking at reviews for recent Yamaha receivers the constant seems to be they’re buggy little bastards to the point of being replaced or relegated to secondary in short periods. Quite upsetting .

My old Yamaha is 24 years old. It was sad to think that the new one would probably be my last AVR and am now, unhappily looking for a replacement.
The A2A will be fixed, if possible, and sold or turned to back up unit, and i need a new AVR.

Are other brands as complicated and buggy or it’s just Yamaha that dropped the ball?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12273 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In all my years of working with computers, monitors, TV's both personal and professional, I have never had an HDMI specific port issue.
However, doesn't mean it can't happen, guess it is the luck (bad as it may) of the draw. Frown
I have a Yamaha Receiver that was given to me (RXV667) by an IT client that was in the AV business.
I have had it for maybe 5 or 6 years and it makes it circa 2010 manufacturer.
Still works fine although I had to buy a remote and the tuning mic.
While it is in my main listening area ~ I have a replacement (Anthem) system that I haven't installed yet - this one destined to my office.

So on the question of Yamaha - my experiences have been excellent but that is only survey of 1.

Cannot the port be repaired?
Are you sure it is not a cable issue?
Or endpoint issue?

HDMI port issue seems rather unusual but you never know.

Hope you get it resolved but I am not going to recommend against Yamaha.
What other brands can you get?

Good Luck Smile

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I have been a Yamaha fan for many years.

Currently running an RX-A1080 in my home theater setup. I've had it for three years and not a single issue. It's a 7.1 system and the Yamaha app lets me fiddle with the settings from my phone while sitting on the couch. Really, really happy with it.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I replaced a Yamaha AV receiver that was part of a complete Yamaha system, after many years of faithful service. I replaced the receiver with an RX-V385, not a terribly expensive model, but it sure works well for me. My stereo is in my music room (no longer make use of the video capability). I’ve got a decent turntable and a CD changer connected to it. I really love the Bluetooth capability of the receiver. If I’m learning a song, I can go into YT and play it through the receiver - loud - and adjust to hear my guitar more or less.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Only good things to say about Yamaha for the last 40 years, but the half baked HDMI bug and the way they sort of ironed it out (insome cases) and now my recent unit failing give me pause.

I started googling dor answers or fixes and it seems a bit more complicated that i thought.
The first step recommended is to unplug the unit for a while.
If that doesn’t work, there’s resetting to factory settings.
I even found some older units have a hidden advanced menu, but you need a display
And my final discovery is the web based configuration, using a browser. Led me nowhere.

25 years ago, $4k was the price of Yamaha’s flagship. I’ll be buying a mid-tier top of the line soon for $2500 because the previous unit, another $2k failed catastrophically in the first two years of limited use. Couple of daily hours of xbox and the occasional movie.
Must have this solved before i update my TV.

Not happy.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12273 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post