SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good Tequila - How do you drink it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Tequila - How do you drink it? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Tequila in $100 range or so ( or better).

Brought a bottle of Don Julio 1942 to a friends and he broke out the shot glasses.

I said "NO" and told him to break out a 'sniffer' glass and he was a deer in headlights.

My goal was to "enjoy" the drink much like drinking Scotch not to get drunk at a high price.

Was I wrong? Confused

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Neat, room temperature, brandy snifter or champagne flute. If it burns, it ain't good tequila.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My version of expensive tequila is Patron Silver. I like it with a couple ice cubes and sip it.

Expensive anything should be savored, not shot. Can you? Sure, but shots are for cheap liquor and people who haven't grown up yet.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Snifter for me.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I put the money towards good scotch.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have not found a tequila I really like (including Don Julio 1942). The ones I have had just seem kind of bland and one-dimensional to me.

I have, however, really been enjoying good mezcal recently. Current favorites are Del Maguey Chichicapa and Del Maguey Tobalo. Mezcal Koch Madrecuiche is pretty good, too. All of those are somewhere around the $80-120 range.

Del Maguey Vida is surprisingly good for $33 a bottle where I shop.

None of the ones I have listed here are smoke bombs, but (of course) they do all have some smoke.

I would make a margarita with Vida, but it's still good enough to drink neat. The others I only drink neat, usually out of a Glencairn whiskey glass.

Also, if you make margaritas, do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. It is made the traditional way by steeping bitter orange peels in brandy and tastes FANTASTIC, not like the orange popsicle garbage that is most Curacao/Triple Sec. I think it's better than Cointreau and Grand Marnier, too.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree with neat and room temp... if you have to one cub of ice... but for sure that stuff is not for shooting or slamming but sipping.

the interesting thing I can't figure out is why high end tequila like you mentioned spends 3 years getting just right when bourbon and scotch take 12 or more.

I actually belong to a group that meets once a year at a convention that is called "friends of Don" and we usually pick a night and sit around and sample Don Julio. Really really good tequila you can drink straight.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
the interesting thing I can't figure out is why high end tequila like you mentioned spends 3 years getting just right when bourbon and scotch take 12 or more.

Most bourbons, except the super-high-end, are aged much less than 12 years.

I think the biggest reason Scotch takes longer is that the barrels are almost always already used.

To be bourbon, a spirit has to be aged in a new, toasted oak barrel.

Scotch is mostly aged in once-used American bourbon barrels (although there is a fair amount of experimentation with used barrels from other sources, frequently various wine barrels).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat. Last night was Montelobos enjoyed neat.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Don Julio 1942 is for sipping neat, or with a couple of drops of water. You don’t put 1942 in a margarita, unless money is no object to you!

A good anejo or extra anejo tequila is like a good whisky or bourbon. Just sip and savor the flavors.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m going to imagine that for most of you, “good tequila” means añejo and smschulz’s OP about $100 “or more” tequila would seem to add credence to that belief. I consider myself a tequila aficionado, and have been for many years. I don’t drink añejos at all because tequila aged in bourbon barrels doesn’t taste like tequila to me. I keep reposado around because I think it makes a slightly better margarita than blanco.

I drink blancos because I like the taste of agave. There are lots of great ones and I don’t like to pay more than $50 because there’s no need to. I drink them at room temp in either a caballito or a Riedel stemless.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Jack, that Clase Azul is dreamy stuff! I’ve had some of the reposado.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’m going to imagine that for most of you, “good tequila” means añejo and smschulz’s OP about $100 “or more” tequila would seem to add credence to that belief. I consider myself a tequila aficionado, and have been for many years. I don’t drink añejos at all because tequila aged in bourbon barrels doesn’t taste like tequila to me. I keep reposado around because I think it makes a slightly better margarita than blanco.

I drink blancos because I like the taste of agave. There are lots of great ones and I don’t like to pay more than $50 because there’s no need to. I drink them at room temp in either a caballito or a Riedel stemless.

My experience exactly. I prefer a good reposado any day.

Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I truly enjoy Sauza Hornitos Resposado. Room temp or over Ice equally- depending on mood.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Most bourbons, except the super-high-end, are aged much less than 12 years.

I think the biggest reason Scotch takes longer is that the barrels are almost always already used.

To be bourbon, a spirit has to be aged in a new, toasted oak barrel.

Scotch is mostly aged in once-used American bourbon barrels (although there is a fair amount of experimentation with used barrels from other sources, frequently various wine barrels).

Ambient air temps in Scotland are much lower than in Kentucky as well - lower temp changes and lower frequency of them means fewer cycles of the whisky moving in and out of the wood per year in Scotland compared to Kentucky. At least that’s what I was told on my Scotch tour a few years ago and made scientific sense to me.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I enjoy silver tequila as a Martini. Shaken with a dash of good orange liqueur. Served up with a lime wedge.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Neat. Snifter.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I just received this today. Neat, snifter.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Tequila - How do you drink it?

I have heard the answer to that is:

“Eventually, naked”

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post