SIGforum
This one hurts a bit, RIP Don Rickles

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4240072224

April 06, 2017, 02:08 PM
Sig2340
This one hurts a bit, RIP Don Rickles
Hockey puck.

Its one of my favorite descriptors for people.

I learned it from Mr. Rickles.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
April 06, 2017, 02:13 PM
Cliff
RIP Mr. Rickles. I get a good laugh whenever I watched him.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

April 06, 2017, 02:24 PM
NK402
Interesting to me how many comics, like Rickles, were good dramatic actors.
April 06, 2017, 02:25 PM
jbcummings
He and Johnathan Winters were probably the two quickest wits in entertainment. Either one of them could ad lib their way through most anything.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
April 06, 2017, 02:36 PM
kz1000
RIP

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gauYtZ8S1zs

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
April 06, 2017, 02:50 PM
SIGnified
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
He and Johnathan Winters were probably the two quickest wits in entertainment. Either one of them could ad lib their way through most anything.

Jonathan Winters is in a different class for me; more like Robin Williams then old-school poke 'em in the nose standup comic such as Rickles using insults as a key instruments for his comedy.

Jonathan Winters certainly was great at ad hoc or even prop comedy. Completely different styles to me; which doesn't devalue their entertainment capacity.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
April 06, 2017, 02:53 PM
DitchDoctor911
R. I. P. Certainly a legendary comedian.
April 06, 2017, 03:29 PM
k5blazer
When I was in high school he filled in as host of the Tonight Show. He was so funny. Quickly becamy one of my favories. RIP
April 06, 2017, 03:38 PM
LS1 GTO
Watch the Dean Martin roasts i mentioned a couple weeks ago.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

April 06, 2017, 03:55 PM
Sunset_Va
Remembering him mostly from my youth on shows, more than movies, this was back in the 60's.

Thanks for the laughs , Don, you were special.

I realize time moves on, and waits for no one, I am glad I grew up in his era.

美しい犬
April 06, 2017, 04:26 PM
darthfuster
Though we all knew this was coming, it doesn't lessen the sting. RIP, Don. Thanks for the laughs.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
April 06, 2017, 04:36 PM
oddball
Shit Frown

My favorite comedian of all time.

God Bless Mr. Rickles.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
April 06, 2017, 05:29 PM
Ronin1069

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
April 06, 2017, 05:54 PM
Floyd D. Barber
Don as a vampire.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

April 06, 2017, 06:00 PM
mrbill345
Just spent well over an hour on youtube watching him on Carson & the roasts. Time well spent.

RIP, sir. Death, you hockey puck.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”
April 06, 2017, 06:06 PM
justjoe
You knew there was not a malicious bone in his body, and that's why he could be insulting and funny. RIP

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
April 06, 2017, 06:21 PM
FishOn
Don was awesome. Seriously funny guy. His material that intersected with Sinatra and the Rat Pack was truly comic Gold. We'll never see the like again.

If I could transport myself back to the mid 60s to Vegas to a show at the Flamingo, with the Rat Pack with Don there.....just wow.
April 07, 2017, 10:28 PM
sigmonkey
Jimmy Kimmel had a nice eulogy.

Clicky thingy.

"I'll drop my pants and fire a rocket!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
April 07, 2017, 10:30 PM
Ronin1069
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Jimmy Kimmel had a nice eulogy.

Clicky thingy.

Thanks for that!!!

Here is embedded version:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
April 07, 2017, 10:34 PM
patw
I remember watching CPO Sharkey and laughed the whole show. I was wondering why they were playing so much of him on the satellite channels.