SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Clear liquids diet for colonoscopy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clear liquids diet for colonoscopy Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
I’m scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Jello and broth are okay, but I can’t help but think somebody here has figured out something extra good that still qualifies as “clear liquid”. I'm hungry enough to eat the crotch out of a rag doll.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vodka is a clear liquid. Seriously though, I don't know what to tell you to eat, but Godspeed Brother.

Posts: 733 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I ate lots and lots of Jello

That bag of Cheez-its and the can of Coke they handed me after I came to and was in recovery may as well have been a medium rare filet mignon and a glass of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, that's how wonderful they tasted.

Posts: 34268 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Its only for one day. You should have loaded up before you began the prep.

Jello and chicken broth was too much trouble to make.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19867 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there is no such thing as "extra good that still qualifies as clear liquid". Frown

I've done the Miralax/Gatorade prep for that exam. I've found that by the time I'm half way through the prep, I don't want to put another drop of anything in my mouth for the rest of the week. Eek

Best of luck with your exam.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1914 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should have loaded up before you began the prep.

I did.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
We always freeze broth from corned beef and cabbage (onions, carrots, celery, ...). Strain it well and it is clear enough.

One thing I really liked was popsicles. It seems like you are actually eating something if you chew them. Stay away from red!

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No there’s not. Don’t do what I did before my first colonoscopy. I drank the Mirilax, Gatorade, took the Ducalax. Waited, waited, nothing. I said to myself “screw this, I’m going to get some parts for my project car”. Crapped my pants at the register. It wouldn’t stop. It was a flood. Had to take my clothes off in the shower when I got home and wash them out. I’ve had two more since then. I stay home now.

Posts: 26 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucnik:
No there’s not. Don’t do what I did before my first colonoscopy. I drank the Mirilax, Gatorade, took the Ducalax. Waited, waited, nothing. I said to myself “screw this, I’m going to get some parts for my project car”. Crapped my pants at the register. It wouldn’t stop. It was a flood. Had to take my clothes off in the shower when I got home and wash them out. I’ve had two more since then. I stay home now.

Posts: 34268 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Suprep is the best colonoscopy prep. Trust me, I've had 4 of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16129 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good. Doc gave me Suprep. It wasn’t covered by my insurance, but the MD said it was worth the money.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
A little late for a homemade high fat beef broth but maybe some bullion cubes or canned broth and add 1/2 stick of butter. Sip throughout the day.

Posts: 3572 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had four of them. I subsist on lime or lemon frozen fruit bars during the day before. In the evening, after purging my system, I drink half a bottle of Chardonnay, which really helps my morale.

I always schedule the procedure for early in the morning.

Good luck!

Posts: 324 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prep/not eating is not pleasant but remember it is only for a day. That's the way I have looked at it when I have had mine done. Think of it as a cleanse. Wink

I wish I had the Suprep. I have had a couple things so far and both of them were super nasty. A couple times I had prescribed GoLytely and that is some of the most vile stuff on the planet. There was another prep/drink I had and came in 2 containers and was almost as bad as the "Go-Violently". To me, it doesn't matter if it is chilled or not.

Now if I want to clear my bowels, I have a couple cups of coffee and it works like a charm, almost too good.

Posts: 6987 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
What is one day in the big scheme of things??? And when instructed to not get too far from the relief facilities I highly advise that you listen to the warning.. The timing part of the treatment can be subjective as to when it will start to work. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2058 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
A little late for a homemade high fat beef broth but maybe some bullion cubes or canned broth and add 1/2 stick of butter. Sip throughout the day.

That sounds like a surefire way to screw up the procedure and have to come back. Butter? Fat? They specify clear liquids so you are clear and clean inside.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
You'll be fine. It'll be over before you know it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8454 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Nurse told me that a martini was not classified as a "clear liquid."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31126 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Watch a few colonoscopy videos, you won't be hungry anymore.. Cool

I'm due for my 4th one in September.
I just didn't eat anything, it's only 1 day and you DO NOT want to have to redo it...

Good luck to you..

Posts: 4400 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Banana popsicles

Posts: 4774 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post