SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stalag Symphony: Clair Cline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stalag Symphony: Clair Cline Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I can’t be the only one who had never heard this story before.

quote:
USAAF pilot, Clair Cline used scavenged wood—bed slats, table legs and aid cartons—to bring life to a model of the plane in which he was shot down, a B-24, as well as a violin. For both the model and violin, Clair worked with makeshift tools like broken glass and table knives, using glue scraped from the bottom of German mess hall tables for adhesive. It took Cline four months to finish his masterpiece, but he completed the violin in time for a concert in his barracks on Christmas Eve 1944…

Following the liberation of Stalag Luft I and the war’s end, the violin was part of an exhibition of POW life that traveled the country from October 1945 to September 1946. It was viewed by over four million Americans. In many of the venues, it was played by popular violinists.

WWII Museum Article

BYU made a film about Cline in 2017. It’s available on YT, I haven’t looked to see if it’s available on any of the other streaming services.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post