SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just landed in Boise, what to do?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just landed in Boise, what to do? Login/Join 
posted
No work for the day, what should I check out? I have a rental, not looking to make an hour plus drive each way, but something to kill the afternoon here in town. Also, any good restaurants for dinner I should hit up over the next couple of nights?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
Drive up to the top of Bogus Basin and check out the view. It's pretty decent.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll bet they've got, what, 15 or 20 giant potato monuments around there. Tour the tater statues. Yep.

Either that or ask a cabbie about the primo hookers in the area.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
unfortunately the Potato Museum is in Blackfoot, outside his "hour away" limit... Big Grin

The surrounding areas are more likely to be growing sugar beets there for the factory in Nampa than potatoes.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://museum.mil.idaho.gov/

I've never visited this site, but it looks interesting.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow.

Same as anywhere.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hell, you can even live inside a giant potato.

https://www.insider.com/giant-...ho-photo-tour-2019-4

Makes sense, considering the Idaho state motto: "You ain't spuds, you ain't shit"

posted Hide Post
Maybe the giant Potato truck is in town. Here is the LINK:

https://bigidahopotato.com/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if bendable has been there. It looks almost as interesting as the Matchstick museum in Iowa that he talks about.

The matchstick museum does have a new display. NO this is not a joke. Replica of Notre Dame Cathedral made of MATCHSTICKS!! Apparently getting lots of interest. Here is the news release:

It's a museum of amazing creations made by one man, and it has a perfect name. 'Matchstick Marvels.'

The incredible works of Patrick Acton are on display throughout this Tama County museum housed in Gladbrook, Iowa. Acton has created over 70 pieces, using more than seven MILLION matchsticks.

One of Acton's finely-detailed masterpieces that are getting a lot of attention right now is his Notre Dame Cathedral. Following the devastating fire at the world treasure earlier this week, tons of people have been calling the museum, wanting to see it.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
You can go to The Reveal costume shop at 7665 W Mossy Cup and rent a potato costume.

Then you can hit the local bars.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Don't know much free time you have but have ridden thru the Sawtooths, real pretty. https://visitidaho.org/things-.../sawtooth-mountains/

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Try their potatoes, They are amazing!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At 8:00 you can find a limo driver to take you to a show.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter what you do tonight but be sure to eat breakfast at Goldy's on Capital Blvd. downtown in the morning.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
At 8:00 you can find a limo driver to take you to a show.
Hotcha!!

Ask for Louise. Ask her if she likes gravy on her steak fries.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Hit the local fly shop, rent some equipment and a guide and go fly fish!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bogus Basin does have some spectacular views!

I’ll stay away from anything potato related, not sure I could handle so many eye looking at me.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Alive after 5 is going on downtown until 8PM every Wednesday. Live music, beer venders, food. It's free to attend. After you can walk around downtown. Bars, restaurants, stores, theater, etc.

Here's a calendar with the downtown going on's:

https://downtownboise.org/events/events-calendar

If you are staying for several days and want to do outdoor stuff, there are lots of outdoor things to do nearby. THe Internet searching can explain more than I can here.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
As mentioned the downtown is very active and a number of very good Basque restaurants. This old prison tour is very interesting also.
https://history.idaho.gov/location/old-penitentiary/

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Too late now, but both Chris Reeve knives and Milt Sparks holsters are in Boise.

The previously mention military museum in Nampa is supposed to be very good.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post