DMPD video news release that briefly shows the handguns:

https://www.facebook.com/DMPol...6734/?type=2&theater

Article:

https://www.desmoinesregister....shooting/5790423002/

Police: Robbery suspect dead after victim shoots in self-defense

by Philip Joens
Des Moines Register
Sep 14, 2020, 12:20PM

A robbery suspect is dead after being shot by a man in self-defense, Des Moines police said Monday morning.

Around 5:48 a.m., two people were shot in the 1400 block of 13th street, Des Moines police spokesman Sgt. Paul Parizek said. The caller told police he was approached by two armed men who attempted to rob him, Parizek said in a video news release. The man shot the men in self-defense, Parizek said.

Investigators found the men were armed with handguns, approached the man and demanded that he empty his pockets, Parizek said.

The victim of the robbery was a concealed-carry permit holder, Parizek said.

One person was taken to MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center, Parizek said. The other person was taken to Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Parizek said.

A suspect died later Monday morning, Parizek said. No charges will be filed against the robbery victim, Parizek said.

This story will be updated.

Philip Joens covers breaking news for The Des Moines Register. He can be reached at 515-443-3347 at pjoens@registermedia.com or on Twitter @Philip_Joens
September 14, 2020, 01:48 PM
cruiser68
Thanks for making my day!
September 14, 2020, 02:09 PM
HRK
quote:
Key takeaway: "No charges will be filed against the robbery victim..."

Well, it's IA not IL
September 14, 2020, 02:39 PM
bettysnephew
That is the second successful defense of life in Iowa in the last couple of weeks. I suspect the thugs are going to get the message soon, this is not an area in which to threaten folks, they will defend themselves. And with finality in both cases.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
September 14, 2020, 03:06 PM
tacfoley
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
That is the second successful defense of life in Iowa in the last couple of weeks. I suspect the thugs are going to get the message soon, this is not an area in which to threaten folks, they will defend themselves. And with finality in both cases.

Starting to sound liked Kennesaw GA was like back in the late 80's for a while, that is, until the local all gunned up.
September 14, 2020, 04:42 PM
18DAI
Too bad the two perps didn't go to the morgue instead of hospitals. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change
September 14, 2020, 06:57 PM
bettysnephew
One of them did get his just deserves. He is now being judged by a much higher power even though he was trying to turn his...

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
September 15, 2020, 08:40 PM
Sigmund
Slightly updated article. New info:

"16-year-old Des Moines resident Liem Deng died due to the gunshot injury. The other suspect, another 16-year-old Des Moines resident, is hospitalized and expected to survive.

The two teenagers, armed with handguns, approached a small group of people and attempted to rob them, according to the news release."

Complete article:

https://www.desmoinesregister....shooting/5790423002/

Police: Robbery suspect dead after victim shoots in self-defense

by Philip Joens and Robin Opsahl
Des Moines Register
Updated 3:34PM CT Sep 14, 2020

A 16-year-old robbery suspect is dead after being shot by a man in self-defense, Des Moines police said Monday.

Around 5:48 a.m., two people were shot in the 1400 block of 13th street, Des Moines police spokesman Sgt. Paul Parizek said. The caller told police he was approached by two armed men who attempted to rob him, Parizek said in a video news release.

The man shot them in self-defense, Parizek said. 16-year-old Des Moines resident Liem Deng died due to the gunshot injury. The other suspect, another 16-year-old Des Moines resident, is hospitalized and expected to survive.

The two teenagers, armed with handguns, approached a small group of people and attempted to rob them, according to the news release.

One of the people in the group approached was a concealed-carry permit holder, Parizek said, who shot in self-defense.

DMPD determined after investigation and consulting with the Polk County Attorney’s Office that the incident was justified as an act of self-defense. No charges will be filed against the robbery victim, Parizek said.

The robbery investigation remains open.

Philip Joens covers breaking news for The Des Moines Register. He can be reached at 515-443-3347 at pjoens@registermedia.com or on Twitter @Philip_Joens.
September 16, 2020, 06:11 AM
ThankGod4Sig
F'ed around and found out didn't they.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para
September 16, 2020, 07:24 AM
45 Cal
Well they did demand he empty his pockets,I can just think of their surprised look when he did. Big Grin
September 16, 2020, 03:14 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Well they did demand he empty his pockets,I can just think of their surprised look when he did. Big Grin

I wonder if Liem's final words were "Dude, you were supposed to say 'Empty your pockets, not empty your magazine.'"
September 16, 2020, 03:42 PM
John Steed
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

... stirred anti-clockwise.
September 16, 2020, 05:29 PM
Aquabird
Seems like an awful chance to draw on 2 men who are holding guns on you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
September 16, 2020, 05:37 PM
229DAK
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Seems like an awful chance to draw on 2 men who are holding guns on you.
quote:
The two teenagers, armed with handguns, approached a small group of people and attempted to rob them
We don't know how many were in the "small group of people" but I suspect the two thugs were focused on the 'goods' that were coming out of all those pockets rather than someone actually pulling out a gun and using it. I'm sure they were 'surprised', to say the least. Sixteen year olds in general aren't the brightest bulbs in the socket.

I hope, under Iowa law, the surviving perp can be charged with the murder of the dead perp.

September 16, 2020, 06:19 PM
bdylan
Seems like an awful chance to try robbing a group of people.
September 18, 2020, 03:39 PM
Sigmund
I have not seen any updates with new info, it's my opinion the media hates to cover a "good guy with a gun" story.

This article has no new info, but the photo (which I can't insert) shows about 24 evidence markers. Two may be for the bad guys' handguns and/or a mag, are the rest for brass??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...ustified/ar-BB192eER
September 18, 2020, 03:50 PM
Sure glad we live in free land, where folks can defend life and limbs and personal properties by getting rid of maggots without fear of being prosecuted and imprisoned.

Q

September 18, 2020, 05:02 PM
tleo205
quote:
I have not seen any updates with new info, it's my opinion the media hates to cover a "good guy with a gun" story.

They will cover those stories reluctantly, but always refer to the criminal as "the victim"