SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Acronyms - My humble suggestion for their use.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acronyms - My humble suggestion for their use. Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
Acronyms are a useful way to convey information in a kind of shorthand manner. Their meaning, while familiar to you & some others, may not always be clear to the rest of us.

Obviously, we all probably know many of them: FBI, DEA, DOJ, et cetera. However, even common ones have multiple uses such as BLM.

I make this suggestion when using an acronym. In the instance of its first appearance in a post, type out the acronym and the actual words it represents (in parentheses) so we can all enjoy your post without looking it up.

Extra points if you post it written out with caps and bold in the description.

Example: WDTSS (When Does The Shooting Start?)

If this suggestion is all wet or oversteps in some way, please disregard and/or delete.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para has clearly asked this many times.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
WWJD?

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yes, YES, YES!

I started a thread about this, a while ago. Can't remember whether it was here in The Lounge, or over in the rant section.

In all of the technical writing that I have done, it was always mandated that we either used your suggestion, or had the expanded definition of the acronym appear in a footnote on the same page where the acronym first appeared.

Bell Labs had manuals with their standards for technical writing; acronyms were used extensively in their documents, and the manuals had quite a bit to say about proper use of acronyms.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I agree. In the Air Force we were taught to spell out upon first use in any document, and use the acronym for subsequent uses. Except we would spell out the term with the acronym in parentheses: Base Communications Center (BCC), or Consolidated Base Personnel Office (CBPO).

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There are several "Manuals of Style," of which the Chicago Manual of Style (subscription required) is perhaps best known. When studying for my Masters, I was required to use the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. That's a pretty long mouthful, so the way to use its acronym is to place the acronym in parentheses following the full term. For example,

National Rifle Association (NRA)

Once so cited, the abbreviation can then be used without further explanation.

Old habits die hard, so I still tend to write this way. There are, however, some commonly used acronyms that need no reference. For example, LOL, STFU, mm, and so on.

Then, there's one I like to use, but doing so requires a bit of "insider knowledge:" LIMEDILLIGAFF (Look In My Eyes, Does It Look Like I Give A Flying Fuck?).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
AZMVD WTF?

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Someone should develop a list of commonly used Acronyms that don't need to be explain and have it inserted in the SigForum Waiver - recommend that it go in section E, page 18, subsection V-5. Or V-8, either way.

YMMV, JMO, TTYL.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I nominate RHINOwSO!!!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TL, DR LOL

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
FAGH (Fuxking ain't gonna happen)

However, it has honed my Google skills.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I make this suggestion when using an acronym. In the instance of its first appearance in a post, type out the acronym and the actual words it represents (in parentheses) so we can all enjoy your post without looking it up.
If this suggestion is all wet ...

It's not all wet. It's not even slightly damp Smile It's actually fairly common practice--for those who know how to write.

I do either that, spell it out and put the acronym in parenthesis directly afterward, or even "(hereinafter referred-to as <acronym> )," most times.

The only time I skip these is when, TTBOMK (*), the acronym will likely be commonly known.

(*) To The Best Of My Knowledge (**)
(**) And, more rarely, I do as illustrated here.

quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
TL, DR LOL

More correctly, in Internet lingo, "TL;DR" (note semicolon, no spaces).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Someone use to have an acronym I made up in sig, don’t remember who.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sitting here in my BVD's wondering why the BFD?

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Someone should develop a list of commonly used Acronyms that don't need to be explain and have it inserted in the SigForum Waiver - recommend that it go in section E, page 18, subsection V-5. Or V-8, either way.

YMMV, JMO, TTYL.

I tried that earlier titled Reference Tab?
Looked all over the forum and I think there needs to be an area for (an example) acronyms. I know what MM stands for and EDC but where (other than Google search) could I find this information?

Tinyman

Mine didn't get very far. Big Grin

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Sitting here in my BVD's wondering why the BFD?

OMG. Roll Eyes

Big Grin Seriously, though, I'm totally with the OP (original poster) on the request for people to explain their acronyms.

Not all SF (SIG forum) members have military or law enforcement backgrounds, and as vinnybass said, many of the acronyms and fun euphemisms aren't always clear to the Regular Joes (RJs?). I seem to remember V-Tail's thread about this topic.

I've said it before: I'd love for there to be a sticky, managed (as in, routinely alphabetized and maintained) thread for this. Every wise guy and his brother will counter with "just Google it, man" or some such retort, though.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
AZMVD

Arizona Motor Vehicle Department
Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
WWJD?

Mow my lawn and pick the oranges off my tree?

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

ISWYDT --> I see what you did there. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
I think there needs to be an area for (an example) acronyms.
No, what is needed is for members to type out what they wish to say in plain English.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post