SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworkers - Router bits needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworkers - Router bits needed Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I need to purchase some straight, carbide-tipped router bits with a 1/2" shank. Any recommendations for brands/sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been a while since I purchased bits, but I have had good luck with Freud.

Posts: 1085 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Agree

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Router bits?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
woodcraft.com sells only quality stuff. they aren't the cheapest thing going, but I know that whatever I get from them will be decent quality.

I have a local store of theirs too that is fun to walk around in...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
https://www.amanatool.com/products/router-bits.html

32 years in the cabinetmaking business.

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Whiteside is a domestic manufacturer of premium grade router bist. Yes, they are not inexpensive, but odds are you won't need to replace them unless you use them in a commercial shop.

I buy them at http://www.carbideprocessors.com, since they price match.

Its been a while since I needed to, Whiteside's bits are so good.

ETA: I found them when I was making a rocking horse out of Macacauba. That wood is incredibly hard, so much so it can take an edge sharp enough to cut you (yes, I cut myself on a piece of wood, that's how I know).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32057 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to do with the bits?

I have different straight bits for creating mortises, cutting grooves and rabbets, and also for use with templates.

I have had good luck with Whiteside and CMT brands.
Woodcraft's house brand bits, WoodRiver, although not made in USA have been okay as well.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I've got a few Freuds around and decided to try another brand or two.

Skins, that made me laugh.

XLT, that link will no doubt have me occupied for quite a few hours. Quite a resource.

Looks like I'll try out a few Whitesides. Right now, they'll be used for cutting some grooves when I don't have access to a table saw with a dado setup.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have religious d on Freud bits. But I have CMTs as well. Very good bits.
There are plywood thickness bits so be careful when you choose.
I second Woodcraft. I wish I was a millionaire!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post