SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What email provider do you use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What email provider do you use? Login/Join 
posted
My main email accounts are with Gmail and Hotmail.

I'm interested in email options which are less prone to data mining than some of the big tech options.

What are you using / what do you recommend?

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Proton

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7952 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My own mail server Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just started a tutanota email

Have gmail for others, sadly...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve used FastMail.com for more than 10 years. About $20/year for my service level.

* Supports IMAP & POP3 for downloads, SMTP for uploads.
* Supports aliases.
* Superb spam filtering.
* Near 100% uptime.
* No data mining.

I use the POP3 download protocol which supports only one email client. For me that’s an email client on my MacBook. But FastMail has an excellent web interface that I use on my iPhone. Most people seeing me use it would think that it’s an email client.

It’s great to have only one (reliable) email address. It’s the username for most of my accounts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8988 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
aol, gmail, .edu

I have a paid email / domain through ionos.com. It's $2 a month. $1 first year to set up the domain name and $10 a year after.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have one email service through my internet provider, though I don't use it much anymore. My primary one is gmail.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I use Xfinity Connect. It works fine for my needs in retirement.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My own mail server Smile

Same here but also have a handful of accounts for utility purposes with gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
My own mail server Smile

Same here but also have a handful of accounts for utility purposes with gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc.

I still have a Gmail address, but I don't use it for anything.

Google lately has been refusing to let my email app log in for "security reasons." Used to be I'd have that problem occasionally. I'd have to login via the web, confirm there was no problem, confirm again I wanted to let "insecure" apps access my gmail, and all would be good for a while. Last time it happened they still wouldn't let my email client login. So I simply deleted the gmail address from my email client.

I'm this >< close to deleting my Google account entirely. Problem is: When we still used Android I'd purchased around $100 worth of apps. If I delete my account those purchases will all go *poof*. There's a remote chance I may someday want to switch back to Android. Very remote, but not entirely out of the question. So I may just leave it active, but unused.

Or Google may find a new way to piss me off and I'll nuke it Smile

I'm mostly out of the IT business, so I've little need for utility accounts any longer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
My own mail server Smile

I still have a Gmail address, but I don't use it for anything.

Google lately has been refusing to let my email app log in for "security reasons." Used to be I'd have that problem occasionally. I'd have to login via the web, confirm there was no problem, confirm again I wanted to let "insecure" apps access my gmail, and all would be good for a while. Last time it happened they still wouldn't let my email client login. So I simply deleted the gmail address from my email client.

I'm this >< close to deleting my Google account entirely. Problem is: When we still used Android I'd purchased around $100 worth of apps. If I delete my account those purchases will all go *poof*. There's a remote chance I may someday want to switch back to Android. Very remote, but not entirely out of the question. So I may just leave it active, but unused.

Or Google may find a new way to piss me off and I'll nuke it Smile

I'm mostly out of the IT business, so I've little need for utility accounts any longer.
What would a consultation cost to help someone setup and secure a home email server?

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Protonmail for my private and personal email. I use Gmail for all my online ordering to keep Proton from filling up with spam.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My ISP. I have junk accounts with the usual suspects.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
yahoo, gmail and protonmail

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
yahoo, gmail and protonmail

Ditto.
Also worth mentioning I've had a proton account for months now, using a gmail as a in case of emergency recovery etc. for it, and not one spam message yet.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
GMail, ProtonMail, my own server (currently inoperative due to DNS problems), and I have a dozen or so accounts with various clients for testing and monitoring purposes.

WRT Mark123's query about setting up a "home server," I'd be happy to assist. It isn't complicated, but there are a lot of moving pieces, and much depends on your ISP's policies and practices. I wouldn't want to try it with a standard residential account where one's IP address changes at the whim of the ISP. Yes, there are workarounds, but it is a lot more hassle than it used to be. There is also the reality that many email providers apparently don't want to accept mail from arbitrary senders necessitating the implementation of SPF and DMARC. Again, not a killer requirement, but incrementally adding to the hassle. Dealing with spam is the biggest problem most of my client's have, and it seems like a never ending battle, pushing off the anti-spam measures to a separate, dedicated system seems to be the most effective approach (short of paying someone to handle it for you).

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yahoo. I've had the same e-mail address for 30 years and don't plan to change it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
My ISP. I have junk accounts with the usual suspects.

Yep. Works well, same email address for 23 yrs.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8355 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
GMail, ProtonMail, my own server (currently inoperative due to DNS problems), and I have a dozen or so accounts with various clients for testing and monitoring purposes.

WRT Mark123's query about setting up a "home server," I'd be happy to assist. It isn't complicated, but there are a lot of moving pieces, and much depends on your ISP's policies and practices. I wouldn't want to try it with a standard residential account where one's IP address changes at the whim of the ISP. Yes, there are workarounds, but it is a lot more hassle than it used to be. There is also the reality that many email providers apparently don't want to accept mail from arbitrary senders necessitating the implementation of SPF and DMARC. Again, not a killer requirement, but incrementally adding to the hassle. Dealing with spam is the biggest problem most of my client's have, and it seems like a never ending battle, pushing off the anti-spam measures to a separate, dedicated system seems to be the most effective approach (short of paying someone to handle it for you).

Yeah, I'd definitely go with the fixed IP business plan and I have no issues building a server and installing postfix. I just don't know what I'm doing with security and preventing getting blacklisted.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yahoo (through Uverse) two address, Gmail, & iCloud. I use the different addresses for different purposes. For instance, my yahoo account is my general email. It catches a lot of activity, so if I'm looking for a response from someone that I don't want to miss, I'll use my iCloud account since it sees very little traffic.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post