SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ornery shelter cats get 2nd chance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ornery shelter cats get 2nd chance Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I've heard about this before but this is the first article that I've actually seen. I guess you could call it a "Feel good story" for cat lovers. Wink

PHILADELPHIA — Gary wasn’t used to being around people. He didn’t like being touched or even looked at. If anyone came too close, he’d lash out.

He was perfect for the job. Because at the Working Cats program, no manners is no problem.

Philadelphia’s Animal Care and Control Team established the program about four years ago to place unadoptable cats — the biters and the skittish, the swatters and the ones that won’t use a litter box — into jobs as mousers at barns or stables.

The shelter recently expanded the program to move cats that were less-than-ideal pets into urban jobs at places like factories and warehouses as a sort of green pest control. The animals are microchipped, vaccinated and free of charge.

“Part of the reason cats became domesticated was to get rid of the rodent population,” said Ame Dorminy, ACCT’s spokeswoman. “We took advantage of their natural propensity to hunt and made an official program out of it.”

Cats identified as good matches for the program are kept in a separate aisle at the shelter in a row called TTA, time to adjust. On a recent visit, a low growl could be heard from a cage housing a male named Spike, whose intake sheet listed his qualifications: hissing, swatting, spitting, can’t be picked up. A few doors down, Prince was standoffish at the rear of his cage.

Just because cats don’t want to be petted or snuggle on a lap doesn’t mean they can’t have good lives, Dorminy said.

“A lot of these cats feel more comfortable when they can be themselves and use natural behaviors,” she said. “Then they’re more open to human interaction because they feel more confident.”

At Bella Vista Beer Distributors, mice were gnawing on bags of chips overnight, leaving a mess and forcing staffers to throw out about 15 bags a day, owner Jordan Fetfatzes said.

They tried exterminators, but nothing worked. An employee found ACCT’s program online, and Fetfatzes eventually decided on Gary, a white male with one blue eye and one green that had “behavioral issues.” Gary wasn’t accustomed to people and would hiss from the crate. At first, Gary would stay in the office and would only go into the warehouse after hours.

As the weeks passed, he warmed up to workers and customers, and has transformed into a sweet, playful mascot with free rein of the store.

“My only complaint is sometimes he gets in the way of a transaction,” said Fetfatzes, who describes himself as a “dog guy” who’s turned in to a cat lover thanks to Gary.

Neighborhood kids come in just to say hi to him, and he loves to play soccer with a worker who balls up cash register tape and kicks it around as Gary bats at it.

As for the mice, they vanished, seemingly repelled by Gary’s scent, Fetfatzes said.

“You’re not only saving your business money, you are helping save the life of an unwanted pet,” he said. “And in this case, we made a friend.”

A number of shelters around the country have working cat programs. One of the first, in Los Angeles, launched in 1999. Many focus on placing feral cats into barns and stables. Chicago’s Tree House Humane Society places feral cats at condos and suburban backyards. Pennsylvania’s Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals puts its feral cats to work in all kinds of jobs, from barns to breweries.

Todd Curry wasn’t exactly sure what was inside the dumpster next door to the Emerald Windows showroom, but it seemed like a free buffet for rats.

“It was almost comical,” he said, comparing it to a scene in the animated film “Ratatouille” with seemingly hundreds of rats streaming out of the dumpster.

Traps didn’t work, said Curry, the company’s vice president of sales, so they brought in Shelley from ACCT’s program.

Soon, dismembered rat carcasses started appearing. Now the rodents just stay away.

And Shelley, which was given to the shelter after biting her family’s kids, has come out of her shell, craving petting and attention, Curry said.

“The only reason she was here was for the rats, but it has turned into a lot more than that,” he said, adding she functions as a workplace stress reliever.

“It’s nice to see these cats put to use, not put down.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...043e57a22_story.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Cats are killer.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Great story.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
They do serve a purpose.

We have three that go IN and OUT at will. We now have minimal rodent incursion/damage in the garage, the machine shed and in the house.

Years back we would have a pack rat or mice get under the hood in the cars, the tractors, etc. Doing all sorts of damage. Last pack rat that stayed more than a DAY was several years back. And that was only because the cats couldn't get to him.

Good story from Philly.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Outdoors cats are loved by some and hated by others.

As someone who's had to replace a late model BMW engine wiring harness due to rodent damage, I don't have a gripe in the world about outside cats. Rodents don't last in my neighborhood.

But many see them as a nuisance. Outdoor cats, especially feral cats like to lounge on warm hoods and take dumps in gardens or sandboxes. There are many who take it personally if an animal walks on their lawn, as a violation of their property rights.

I don't have any children to worry about stepping in shit, nor any sandboxes to worry about and the only nuisance turds I've come across are too big to be from a cat. I do however own expensive boats, motorcycles, cars and trucks, and a shop full of machinery. I'm fine with our neighbors cats keeping my stuff safe from rodent damage.

I suppose if instead of all the toys and machinery, my pride and joy was my pristinely manicured lawn, I'd feel different.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
There are many who take it personally if an animal walks on their lawn, as a violation of their property rights.

I feel this way when the deer eat my landscaping. I wish whoever owned the long legged vermin would keep them in their own yard.

I have not seen any cats around but we do have fat, healthy looking fox and black snakes.

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, I just called a local animal shelter. They said that very aggressive/feral cats can't generally be adopted out as barn cats because the staff are unable to handle them for care like vaccination.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have three outside cats that have taken up residence around my house. One is totally feral, ugly as sin and wont come near us. One is skittish, less ugly, and will tolerate you a bit while she's eating the food you give her. And then one that's pretty tame. Probably used to live in someones home.

I plan to capture them and get them fixed and vaccinated. They are not coming in the house, but I've obtained styrofoam boxes with a hole that they give out for homeless cats. I'll line it with straw and put it in a sheltered place. Maybe I'll even put a golden rod in there.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
There's an animal (no kill) adoption center in my general area.

If you tell them you want a barn cat, they're eyes light up.

They specialize in feral cats ranchers and farmers trap and bring in.

I've a barn cat that I haven't seen in almost a year, yet food I put out gets eaten, water gets drunk so I know she's on the job.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
This has been happening for years by informal arrangement down in South Texas. The cats show up, they do their thing, and their population thins out as prey becomes scarce or the coyotes become creative. I'm all for farm cats, but I wouldn't pick up a barn cat on a dare.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Out of curiosity, I just called a local animal shelter. They said that very aggressive/feral cats can't generally be adopted out as barn cats because the staff are unable to handle them for care like vaccination.

My high school job was working at an animal hospital. They would inject feral cats with vaccines through the cage sometimes if they were too crazy to pull out. There's ways of doing it, none of which are enjoyable, but it's not impossible.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Part of the reason cats became domesticated....” said Ame Dorminy, ACCT’s spokeswoman.

Domesticated?

Cats aren't domesticated.

They are simply enjoying the free and easy lifestyle that their servant humans provide them.

They will kill and eat you in a New York minute if their other food supply runs out.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

My high school job was working at an animal hospital. They would inject feral cats with vaccines through the cage sometimes if they were too crazy to pull out. There's ways of doing it, none of which are enjoyable, but it's not impossible.

I guess the local shelter doesn't have the budget for long needles.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Our cat just brings her play-things inside and lets them go and then the chase is on.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Part of the reason cats became domesticated....” said Ame Dorminy, ACCT’s spokeswoman.

Domesticated?

Cats aren't domesticated.

They are simply enjoying the free and easy lifestyle that their servant humans provide them.

They will kill and eat you in a New York minute if their other food supply runs out.

A long time ago, I got to sit in on an hour long talk with William Bass. It was the most fascinating speech I've ever heard. I don't remember the exact numbers, but one of his tidbits was that if you die in your house and no one finds you, your cats will wait about 3 days before they start to eat you, while your dogs will wait around 10 days.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
if you die in your house and no one finds you, your cats will wait about 3 days before they start to eat you, while your dogs will wait around 10 days.

I'm with the cats. In 10 days, you would be too ripe for me to want to eat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post