SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting ready mentally for retirement.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting ready mentally for retirement. Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Money is important, of course, but if you have that taken care of...

Other than money, the 2 most important and valuable things in your life are TIME & HEALTH.

Ponder that, don't forget that.

We never know how much time we have left, or how our health will hold up, or not.

Do what you can to take care of yourself, and your spouse, Physically, Mentally, Emotionally and Spiritually.

We may be able to live to a really nice old age if we stay healthy, and thus we will gain more TIME, and thus a more enjoyable experience.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
I retired at 56 (mandatory for my career) and while I was prepared financially for it, the sudden change of pace of life was somewhat disconcerting.

I also retired with 32 years as a 2152. Maybe someday my wife will realize this ...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I just created a thread about retirement and Florida
Yea Flaaaarida. Any thoughts?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently dealing with moving my retired parents and seeing how they interact (or, not) with their friends.

- Big things I know is I for sure would reduce the size and commitment of my living arrangements. A full-house for someone getting into their golden years is too much. I'd likely move to a single-level townhome or, a condo, let someone else be responsible for buildings & grounds while I still retain equity.

- Reduce spending. Seeing recent retirees go on spending sprees right after they've retired I just cringe. Husband buys a new car or, new TV, wife gets her hair/nails weekly along with bi-weekly lunch with g/f's. After a decade of this, then the medical issues start to crop-up and doctor appointments start to run your life, you're going to miss all those funds.

- Take up healthy hobbies, gardening isn't uncommon. No need to dig-up the back-40 and think you're farmer John. Get a couple of planter boxes and try your hand at growing herbs or, vegetables. Get a fruit plant and nurture it along, in time, once it produces fruit, you can use them for creating cocktails.

- Don't get into collecting, collecting is only good if you plan at some point to either sell what you've gathered and get something out of it or, donate to someplace that will value it. Collecting can get expensive and you never really get it back unless you luck-out and someone is willing to pay for it.

- Take up some activity that you can do as you age. Hiking/walking is common and doesn't cost a whole lot. Birdwatching isn't uncommon...except those expensive binoculars, but a quality pair of binos is nice to have. Tennis and/or pickle ball has become very popular the last decade, especially with seniors looking to maintain an good activity level and social life.

- Working part-time at a low-responsible position give you routine. Good friend of mine retired about 5-years ago, he's worked at the local range as a Range Safety Officer, along with being a course marshal at a nearby golf course and worked in the retail shop, selling gloves, balls and beers; he keeps his weekly work routine around 24-hours max. It gives him some gas money, keeps him occupied and socialized. He figures he'll do it until he's close to 80, then he'll stop working entirely.

- Volunteer. Doesn't matter what it is, volunteering gives you routine, helps you socialize and of course you're doing something good.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post