SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you store an alcohol collection?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you store an alcohol collection? Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
I have recently begun collecting various bottles of alcohol nothing really special. Some of them I have had for quite a few years. A friend of mine was recently visiting and she is an avid collector of wine. According to her that anything with cork will start to evaporate over time. It is caused by the cork drying out. Is this the same for bottles of alcohol? Some of the bottles came in display cases so to store them at an angle would make the display box useless.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you are storing for a decade or so, then cork degradation is a thing. However, having said that, hard liquors don't really benefit from spending time in the bottle, so have a bottle out that you are consuming, and enjoy it with guests or by yourself and be happy with the good quality. When it runs out, go grab another one and share it. Heck the nicest liquor I ever drank was out of a crystal decanter with nary a bottle or box in sight. That being said, I had a bottle of brandy that was in a very fancy bottle. I toted it around for years looking for the right occasion to open it. After nearly a decade, I don't believe there was any appreciable loss.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My brother and I plan to make one of these next time I see the wine barrels for sale at the local Walmart (they had them last year.)

Posts: 7547 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If your bottle has a cork, wine or spirits, store it ON IT'S SIDE! Ask me how I know. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some just sitting on shelves:

The rest is in the “fancy bar” my wife found:

Once I added the lights inside, I think it looks impressive enough. Definitely a conversation starter when people catch sight of the thing!

Bill R

Posts: 1139 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT store spirits on their side. The alcohol content is much higher than wine and will destroy the cork over time. You have a nice whisky collection going and storing the bottles sideways will ruin the contents. Upright, with a good seal, and out of direct sunlight is the way to go. Once the bottle is below about a third full oxidation will play a bigger role and you might consider moving the contents to a smaller vessel if storing long term. Oxidation isn't necessarily bad but it will mute flavor over time. You can also use a wine preservation spray that uses inert gas to displace oxygen and stop oxidation but it's kinda overkill unless you're storing extremely rare and expensive bottles.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
What he said!
Wine or Champagne, keep on its side, cork down.
Hard Liquor, keep it upright.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I inherited from my mother a small hutch that she used to store/display china in. I use it as a liquor cabinet, I keep it pretty well stocked. Sorry I don't have pics of it, I'm not at my house for the winter.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Sadly I have nothing to add. My bottles don't last long enough for me to have any experience. Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5936 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:

Once I added the lights inside, I think it looks impressive enough. Definitely a conversation starter when people catch sight of the thing!

Bill R

That is very cool!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5936 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill R

The round bar is super cool. I gotta ask where did she find it? By the way nice collection.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
71 Truck's globe bar is a 1920's lightbulb tester....I just found it online but "unavailable " for purchase. I want one bad now Frown

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
71 Truck's globe bar is a 1920's lightbulb tester....I just found it online but "unavailable " for purchase. I want one bad now Frown

Restoration Hardware... otherwise known as “expensive frou-frou decorative”....

But if you are my wife, and have a sort of find the bargain superpower, you end up borrowing a truck with no notice (thanks, sarge!) driving an hour and a half, hitting an outlet center and then....

Then you try to figure out how you are getting this big ol metal globe thing down off a truck and into the house. Without ending up on a six month light duty list.

Archimedes said it, I just remembered, and somehow we got it up and off the truck.

The rest was easy!

Bill R

Posts: 1139 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Restoration Hardware... otherwise known as “expensive frou-frou decorative”....

But if you are my wife, and have a sort of find the bargain superpower, you end up borrowing a truck with no notice (thanks, sarge!) driving an hour and a half, hitting an outlet center and then....

Then you try to figure out how you are getting this big ol metal globe thing down off a truck and into the house. Without ending up on a six month light duty list.

Archimedes said it, I just remembered, and somehow we got it up and off the truck.

The rest was easy!

Bill R

Thanks

NRA Life Member

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
When I open a bottle of rare bourbon, I might not finish it for a few years. So once below about 1/3 full or if I like what I’m tasting, I’ll spray some inert gas preservative in the bottle to stop/ prevent oxidation. I prefer Bloxygen, it’s pure argon. I also keep an assortment of bourbon corks around to replace any that might fail, but you need to keep them hydrated. I’ve only ever replaced one. Some folks decant into smaller bottles with screw tops, but that ruins the display thing. I try to keep only 10-12 bottles open at a time, and store the bulk of my collection in a cool dark place. I have a friend who decants cheaper bourbon into his favorite bottles for display purposes, but keeps 200 bottles cool and dark.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
If your bottle has a cork, wine or spirits, store it ON IT'S SIDE! Ask me how I know. Frown

No sir.

Spirits will eat through a cork over time, unlike wine.

Store your Spirits rightside up, always.

And your wine on it's side, if it has a natural cork.

Wine with Synthetic Corks probably doesn't need it, just as it probably doesn't matter with Spirits that have Synthetic Corks too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT store spirits on their side. The alcohol content is much higher than wine and will destroy the cork over time. You have a nice whisky collection going and storing the bottles sideways will ruin the contents. Upright, with a good seal, and out of direct sunlight is the way to go. Once the bottle is below about a third full oxidation will play a bigger role and you might consider moving the contents to a smaller vessel if storing long term. Oxidation isn't necessarily bad but it will mute flavor over time. You can also use a wine preservation spray that uses inert gas to displace oxygen and stop oxidation but it's kinda overkill unless you're storing extremely rare and expensive bottles.

Well shit. By NOT storing an unopened bottle of bourbon from 2005 the cork disintegrated after a decade. I don't drink bourbon and had it in the back row.

Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I store mine in my belly!!

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14147 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you store...?

Perhaps should first ask, “Why do you store...?”

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post