SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas or Electric Clothes Dryer (with link to Speed Queen deal in 5th post)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas or Electric Clothes Dryer (with link to Speed Queen deal in 5th post) Login/Join 
posted
I always had gas before our current one.

Always thought gas would be better, but our current one does fine.

No gas where our current dryer sits, but won't be hard to run it there.

So I'm wondering if there's a difference?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ubelongoutside,

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If you already have gas service, gas is "generally" more efficient/cheaper to operate.

If you have to add the service to your residence, it's probably not worth the difference unless you do a lot of loads. If your house already has service, maybe a wash? (pun intended...) Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Correction:
Electric is near 100% efficient(high 90's at least); all energy is converted to heat.
Gas is generally 80% efficient.

The benefit is gas is usually less $/BTU than electric - hence you can use more gas and still be ahead dollar-wise.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Switched to electric a couple of years ago after a neighbor's house blew up. I noticed no difference in the power bill, that is, the total of my gas and electric then is about the same as my electric bill now.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what brought this to light in case anyone is interested.

Speed Queen washer and dryer. $749, and $699 respectively.

https://www.appliancesconnecti...cgkdv18i000b0av0mj2b

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
This is what brought this to light in case anyone is interested.

Speed Queen washer and dryer. $749, and $699 respectively.

https://www.appliancesconnecti...cgkdv18i000b0av0mj2b

Just an FYI, that is a commercial machine and it's technically a violation to sell it to anything but a business as it does not meet home water/energy consumption mandates. It also only has a parts warranty, no labor.

And that price is $20 over what dealer cost and they are shipping it free.

I honestly don't get how these on line companies are selling this stuff. Speed Queen is a stickler that you are either a servicing dealer or you have a formal agreement with a servicer to cover product you sell.

Posts: 11228 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
And to your question, you will pay about $80 to $100 more for a gas dryer but save up to $100 a year if you have natural gas. LP is a wash with electric. Over the lifespan of the product, you will do more service on a gas dryer.

Posts: 11228 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Over the lifespan of the product, you will do more service on a gas dryer.

Which is why I went electric even though I'm plumbed for gas plus 220V electric.

I was also afraid of Carbon Monoxide, but that's likely just a fear in my head and not a real fear. I've not heard of anyone getting CO poison from a gas dryer.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10930 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The $ energy savings for gas over electric worked out to about $40.00/yr.for wife and I. Which is neglible to me.

Theres a website that lets you punch in your pwr cost of kwh/$ and therm/$ and # of loads per week etcc..

I got a new higher end whirpool gas dryer for cheap and we were already piping for gas cooktop so did the gas dryer too..

Naive for me in thinking it would save me a lot of energy. I t doesnt unless electricity is real high. Gas dryers wear clothes out slower due to faster dry time. I'm sure that will save me lots, LOL.

I just got tired of Duke Power sending me letters saying how much more than average size house we were using in kwh..

I thought I'd show them. Well I showed myself what tunnel vision cost. The appliance are pretty though along with overhauled lawndry room.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post