SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    website hosting advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

website hosting advice Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Do you have your own websites? Can you recommend good hosting?

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: May 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have two and moderate a third. I'm checking with the host on some details, I'll get back to you as soon as he gets back to me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15265 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have a small outfit that hosts my sites. Service and uptime has been 100% and you get your tech support from the owner so no screwing around with outsourcing and voice mail and all that crap.

If you're interested, email me at the address in my profile and I'll hook you up with him.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15265 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
A can offer only limited advice. I do websites for my own firearms instruction website and other non-profits I have worked with.

Do not choose Site5 hosting. They were top notch and then got bought out. CS went down hill ... as well as their English capabilities. Russian spammers invaded the shared server and it took 3 months for any action.

I switched in 2018 to inmotionhosting and have been pleased so far. More expensive and less perks, but responsive and English chatting support.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
The "good hosting" question really involves knowing what your requirements are and meeting the needs of those requirements. Business sites have different needs than a simple blog or forum site.

For WordPress sites, I offer my own hosting to clients. (This is what I do full time.)

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some tips how to choose web hosting: know which type of hosting you need, determine what type of site you’re building, understand which and how many resources you require, understand how web hosting pricing works, think ahead: choose a host with which you can grow. Also I recommend to monitor your website work with this special service to avoid problems with it availability. It is very important nowadays, especially for business websites.

Posts: 11 | Registered: November 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve had nothing but good luck with Godaddy for my site.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about digital ocean.

Posts: 251 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I used Namecheap and was happy with the price and addons.

Posts: 17902 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
https://www.siteground.com/ has worked well for me.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’ve had nothing but good luck with Godaddy for my site.

Not to throw the Danica-lovers under the bus, but I HAVE had problems with GoDaddy. We were using a cheaper shared-IP plan, and one of the 80 or so other sites being hosted on the same IP address got hacked and started sending out all sorts of spam. Well, the block-lists quickly picked this up and added the IP address to their databases. That meant anyone using the block lists (which are very common tools used in spam filtering) was also blocking any mail from our domain or any others on the shared IP. It took a couple calls to convince GoDaddy to do something. Rather than doing anything about the hacked site, they switched us to a more expensive dedicated IP plan and gave us one year of that service free. Then I had to spend even more of my time getting our site off the various blacklists it was on. Very annoying.

While they did do something, eventually, they started out by saying there was nothing they could do and the only solution was for us to upgrade to a more expensive plan. It also bothered me that, when notified, they did nothing to shut down the site that had been hacked and was blasting out spam.

They aren't so bad I'd say no one should ever use them, but their support for the lower-cost plans seems to be, "Look it up on the website, or switch to a more expensive plan."

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
This is the same guy that posted a question about blogging back in May and didn't reply. Seems like someone if fishing for something.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...910028444#8910028444

Seems fishy.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have had a web presence since 1995. My web host is the same ISP who once ran a BBS system in the 80s. Solid, robust, secure, reliable.

That's what you want in a web hosting service.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
there was nothing they could do and the only solution was for us to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

I've heard that quite a few times from GoDaddy, hence I would never suggest their hosting. I don't even use them for domain names anymore ... too much marketing crap to wade through.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
I've heard that quite a few times from GoDaddy, hence I would never suggest their hosting. I don't even use them for domain names anymore ... too much marketing crap to wade through.

I am a long time GoDaddy customer, but have grown increasing disenchanted with their services. They gave me a good price on the web hosting, with a significant discount if I paid for 5 years. So I am locked into that until 2021, and I'm not prepared to eat that and move it for my tiny hosting needs. I did move all of my email and domain name registrations to OpenSRS (a Tucows company), and much prefer them for those services. They are much more professional, as well as being a long time registrar. I have time to shop around for web hosting. One of the shooting clubs I belong to moved their hosting a couple of years ago to InMotion hosting, and they are quite happy with the uptime and support. I am, too, as a client. It is more suited to a business class of hosting, though.

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post