SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Man Shoots Walmart Delivery Drone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Man Shoots Walmart Delivery Drone Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I could be wrong, but as I understand it, you own rights to the airspace above your property to a certain altitude. What rights that gives you, I'm not sure, but I would imagine that one has the right to deny any overflight from drones. I don't imagine that it allows you to shoot one down with a 9mm though. That is completely irresponsible. A shotgun is a much better choice.

You're incorrect. The FAA manages airspace, including airspace below the highest point of your home. Under federal law, it is a felony to willfully damage or destroy aircraft, including drones.

I'm in a box where I can not fly my drones 3 feet off the ground. (I'm near an airport) But I can go one block up the street to a 100' box where I can fly up to 100' with instant LAANC approval.

Now, will the FAA charge someone for shooting one down? They have not been jumping to do so. But I have seen some reporting where a drone was shot down and the person arrested for criminal mischief and prohibited use of a weapon. If the event is tied to something legit - like a drone tasked to search for a missing child or even pet - you can bet law enforcement will be looking into it.

There is certainly privacy concerns including incidents of voyeurism, but that has not yet been addressed by the FAA at the federal level. Some states have inacted laws concerning the subject. I think Pilot Institute is doing a pretty good job providing information on state and city laws.

https://pilotinstitute.com/drones/states/

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
You're incorrect.

Not uncommon. Big Grin

Even so...If you fly a drone over my property and spy on my shit, you can expect to lose your drone.

Posts: 20610 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Florida Man Shoots Walmart Delivery Drone

If the drone had been delivering meth to a trailer park, this story would have been like winning with a full bingo card.

Posts: 21380 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can it be a Florida man story without a pickup truck, alcohol, or an alligtor?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
9mm will kill someone on its descent trajectory.

Maybe. Maybe not. 'Will kill' is a pretty strong yet unsubstantiated result. But I agree it was a moronic move regardless.

How life-threatening a missed shot would be depends upon the initial angle of the shot and whether the vast majority of the bullet's travel speed is in the vertical axis rather than in the horizontal direction. If he missed that effin' @##!**@ pesky drone when it was almost directly overhead, then the bullet after it stops rising (gravity) and starts coming back to Earth (again gravity) will only accelerate to a max terminal vertical velocity of about 118 ft/sec due to air resistance, enough to cause a nasty bruise, perhaps a minor concussion and maybe some slight fracturing to the top of the skull in a head strike, but otherwise it's just not fast enough to even break skin. Now turn around and lob that miss far more horizontally (say when the drone is far down the street), then all bets are off.

-MG

Posts: 2227 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post