New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freezer Mats Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
So I finally decided to purchase a 5 cu ft stand-alone freezer, which is turning out to be wonderful. One question, how good are those "No Frost Anti Ice Freezer Mats"? Worth getting?

Freezer - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

Freezer Mats by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do they do?
I have not used them in mine.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54657 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now find a 1 1/2 inch thick piece of Styrofoam and cut it to the size of your lid.
Then put an old blanket on top of that to keep the Styrofoam against the lid top,

Thank me later.

To insure long seal life ,do not weigh the top down with "stuff".

Posts: 54657 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have had a 5 Cu ft. for about 14 years that I bought for $50 used off craigslist. It does get a build up at the top but it breaks off easy. I usually can get away with just doing a full defrost every 3 years or so.

It's been so little trouble that these pads I never heard of are not enticing to me at all. For me, I will skip 'em.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'd try them. My chest freezer sometimes sticks things to the floor.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
What do they do?
I have not used them in mine.

Supposedly you place them on the floor of the freezer, and frost will not form there. Mixed accounts of whether they actually work.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The frost on my 5 cubic foot chest freezer is always on the sides never on the bottom.

And defrosting the tiny chest, it takes literally less than 9 minutes.
You put your food in a ice chest then you set a fan in the basket blowing downwards and all the frost just Falls away,

but be sure to put a pan in the bottom to catch the ice in ,
because it's problematic digging it from the bottom of the chest so you just lift the pan out it's easy peasy.

I live in a very humid Midwest and I only have to defrost about once every 15 months.