SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could care less, or couldn't care less
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could care less, or couldn't care less Login/Join 
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted
Which one of these is correct? Majority of people I hear use it go with option 1.

1) I could care less. Sounds to me like you have more caring you could do, but does this in a round about way somehow make the point? It seems to imply you do care, somewhat. I think I've thought deeply on it once and kinda saw a way it works. That could have been a dream though, and I haven't figured that out again.

2) I couldn't care less. Sounds to me like no matter what, there's no more amount of not caring possible.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6977 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Couldn't

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Couldn't

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ll go with couldn’t also.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Couldn't" and it's not even debatable. "Could" is not correctly expressing the idea

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
"Couldn't" and it's not even debatable. "Could" is not correctly expressing the idea

This^. It's one of my pet peeves along with people who say "I seen."

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
2) I couldn't care less. Sounds to me like no matter what, there's no more amount of not caring possible.

Hit the mark. You're at the absolute bottom of caring, no more shits to give.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
IMO

#1 states, while you could care less, the subject matter (object) is not worth the effort to care less.

Although on the surface, is seems like an oxymoron or double negative (to some explanations I have heard folks give), I think is is said as in insult to the object.

#2 If you could not care less, the opposite is that you could care more.

Therefore, I say #1 has the more powerful intent of derision of the object, but that #2 is more widely used as it is understood as your definition is put.

But what do I know, I'm a monkey. All I can do is give or not give a shit.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Couldn't.

'Could care less' makes no sense.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
I could care less.

Under what circumstances would you want someone to know that you're capable of caring less about something? "I couldn't care less" is equivalent to "I don't care."

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You know, I could care less about this thread, but I won't. Smile

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
#2 is correct, but I have always interpreted #1 as typical American sarcasm.

It is not unlike telling someone "fat chance" when really one is saying "slim chance". In our sarcastic slang, fat chance and slim chance effectively mean the same thing. I interpret #1 and #2 in the same way.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
But what do I know, I'm a monkey. All I can do is give or not give a shit.
But you could throw it (if giving one).
...and I couldn't care less... Big Grin

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which one of these is correct? Majority of people I hear use it go with option 1.

Probably the same folks who write "would of", or "defiantly"... Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
IMO

#1 states, while you could care less, the subject matter (object) is not worth the effort to care less.

Although on the surface, is seems like an oxymoron or double negative (to some explanations I have heard folks give), I think is is said as in insult to the object.

#2 If you could not care less, the opposite is that you could care more.

Therefore, I say #1 has the more powerful intent of derision of the object, but that #2 is more widely used as it is understood as your definition is put.

So this is the deeper level of analysis I must have arrived at in my revelation and contemplation on the matter at some point, possibly a dream. I'm still trying to get my head around it though. It's working on a whole different level. Big Grin

Posts: 6977 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Both sayings are correctly phrased, the issue is how much the person using them cares.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
The listener gets the meaning, irregardless of which one is used.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Probably the same folks who write "would of", or "defiantly"... Big Grin

Or "irregardless".

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

the only other one that really gets me is the,

"9AM in the morning" folks.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
'Butt naked' or 'buck naked'?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post