SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The sound of freedom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The sound of freedom Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
Very unusual but there have been military jets flying around all morning. One just buzzed the house low and fast, by the time I heard and identified the noise it was already past and fading.

We have jets here with the Naval Air Station on the west side of town but they are usually just in transit here. They go offshore to unrestricted airspace to play.

I wonder if the Blue Angels are in town to practic.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3865 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When that happened in San Diego a few years ago, when a privately owned tactical jet was zooming around Montgomery Field, I heard an FAA man tell an Assistant that when the phone calls come in, tell them we’re calibrating the noise monitors.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We're buying a place in Scripps Ranch, Jim. Apparently you can hear not only the F/A-18's but also the automatic fire from the rifle range. It's all sound of freedom to me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18151 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
GAU 8.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We're buying a place in Scripps Ranch, Jim. Apparently you can hear not only the F/A-16's but also the automatic fire from the rifle range. It's all sound of freedom to me!

My home is ~5 miles west of the Miramar air station. I hear the F/A-18s frequently as they head out to the Pacific, before turning north to go to the Camp Pendleton range. But no unusual activity today.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9112 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I live in Virginia Beach and am used to hearing the F/A-18's all the time. It never gets old. It's actually been pretty quiet here the last few days.

Posts: 1222 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Pssshaaaawww.....

I live just a few miles off the main artillery range at Quantico

THATS the sound of freedom!

GO BIG GUNS!

(Ok, ok, I grew up an Air Force brat, I love the sound of jets as much as anyone...but dammit, I was in the Army, and there is nothing like the sound of 155s to lull you into a peaceful slumber...just so long as they are outgoing Smile )

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every day, FA-18's from Whidbey Island NAS fly over my house on the way to the Okanogan MOA. There are some people around here that don't like the noise. I would much rather see these:

Than these:

Flying over my house every day.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
here are some people around here that don't like the noise.

I would gladly volunteer the airspace over my house for maneuvers....I never get tired of watching those guys. Unfortunately rural Indiana is of little military significance and if I'm lucky we may see an ANG A-10 out of FWA about once a year. Even the KC-135s out of Grissom never seem to make it up our way. My in-laws live in Pensacola, and awesome stuff flies over all the time when we're down there.

Posts: 8761 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Pssshaaaawww.....

I live just a few miles off the main artillery range at Quantico

THATS the sound of freedom!

GO BIG GUNS!

(Ok, ok, I grew up an Air Force brat, I love the sound of jets as much as anyone...but dammit, I was in the Army, and there is nothing like the sound of 155s to lull you into a peaceful slumber...just so long as they are outgoing Smile )

Do you ever shoot at the base? I shoot matches there pretty frequently. They usually do a good job there. If you have never shot at a competition I highly recommend trying it at least once, especially since it's so close to home.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20917 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
I live in Virginia Beach and am used to hearing the F/A-18's all the time. It never gets old. It's actually been pretty quiet here the last few days.

Hell you see everything off Norfolk VA Beach!
It's the best! Ships subs, all kinds of aircraft and Choppers.
Love working in that territory...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8443 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sound of freedom was provided to me courtesy of 8 Pratt and Whitneys slung under the wing of a B52.
And a Lockheed Turboprop with Hamilton Standard propellers on the C-130.
Oh.... Freedom smelled like JP-4.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16180 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I did 2 years of college a Wittenberg which is in a very small town outside of Dayton Ohio and is in the flight path for Wright Patterson Airforce Base. They don’t have too much cool stuff up there just a lot of C-130s. Though from time to time some slick stuff came over.
I was there for 9-11 and Air Force One and a fricking squadron of whatever added convoy of fighters had flew over that sad day.
I was at the gas station filling up and heard them coming I knew all flight traffic had been cancelled so knew it was something serious. Everyone stopped got out of their cars and watched.

There was also a pretty big hurricane in 2003 Isabela maybe that hit the east coast. Prior to it’s arrival they brought tons of planes to Wright Pat and that was awesome. B1s were brought in and wow those are my favorite aircraft so seeing those was awessome.
They had every spare runway and possible space on the base loaded with aircraft it was so cool.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25499 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post