SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pistols rubbing your middle finger raw
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistols rubbing your middle finger raw Login/Join 
posted
I’m considering replacing my CCW so I stopped into a store today. Both the Glock and the Hellcat rub and irritate my middle finger where the trigger guard and front strap meet. It only takes a few seconds to realize that it’s not right for me. The Walter PPS had a nicely rounded junction and was very comfortable. Does anyone else have frequent issues with certain frames?

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I’m considering replacing my CCW so I stopped into a store today. Both the Glock and the Hellcat rub and irritate my middle finger where the trigger guard and front strap meet. It only takes a few seconds to realize that it’s not right for me. The Walter PPS had a nicely rounded junction and was very comfortable. Does anyone else have frequent issues with certain frames?

That's an incredibly common Glock "thing." In basic classes we see this with new shooters or recent Glock converts. It'll eventually callous up, but in the short term taping up the friction point (usually just distal from the second knuckle) works. By Day Ten the kids all look like they joined a cult that uses first aid or duct tape on the middle finger as a membership badge.

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The effect you describe is why I didn't enjoy shooting my brother's Glock a while back.

I discussed it with a P320 owner who grinned big and handed me a furniture sanding block (sponge). He'd run it over the trigger guard on his P320 a little bit. What a difference it made! Rub on the sanded area with your thumb a little, and the fresh sanding marks go away... can't really tell it's been done. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This bothered me so much shooting my first Sig, a P228, I decided to do something about it. Took down the edge a bit, then refinished over. (And you're right about Walthers, they seem to do that part right.)

Cutouts bottom by kpkina, on Flickr

Cutouts side by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Glock knuckle hurts until you get used to it. Gen 5 is much better than previous gens though.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I have that problem with about every handgun I own. I find it frustrating that gun manufacturers can't do a little more to alleviate that problem. They do just about everything else to make your grip more comfortable.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I think the reason gun manufacturers don't do much to alleviate the problem is that it doesn't affect that many people.

I've only met a handful of people who had that problem in all my years of shooting and even now, of the couple of dozen I shoot with on a regular basis, only one has that problem, and he has very large hands.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Most plastic framed guns have a small amount of flashing or mold mark in the center (side to side) that I trim down with an Exacto knife or razor blade. Some need a little sanding with a fine grit paper too.
I go completely around the frame of any new gun as it's also where the web between your thumb and index finger contacts under the beaver-tail and inside the trigger guard too.
Just a slight bit of that raised sharp edge does a job on the top or side of your finger where the skin is thin unlike the callus areas.

Posts: 9534 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have a callus there

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a sanding wheel on my dremel and just slooooowly made a cut. A little fine wet dry to smooth it out, presto all gone.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't seem to have that problem much. One of my best friends does, though. That's the main reason he hasn't bought a P320, yet. He likes it, but knows the trigger guard is going to irritate that finger badly.

ISTM it wouldn't be all that difficult on a "plastic" pistol to gently, neatly radius that a bit with a Dremel tool or the like?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I don't seem to have that problem much. One of my best friends does, though. That's the main reason he hasn't bought a P320, yet. He likes it, but knows the trigger guard is going to irritate that finger badly.

ISTM it wouldn't be all that difficult on a "plastic" pistol to gently, neatly radius that a bit with a Dremel tool or the like?

It should be pretty easy, and a dremel might even be too aggressive for the job. I can imagine it getting melty or taking way too much off too fast if you weren't really careful.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, does no one actually read thread posts anymore? Literally the post above yours clearly states I take a dremel with sanding wheel to my Glocks (or 320’s if I needed that) and if you go slow it’s easy and effective. Follow up with suitable wet dry sandpaper to smooth/match it up.

I guess I’m on ignore.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot a Hellcat enough to notice.

The Glock- trigger guard reduction solves that problem.

Ken / Kent at Polymer Refined did an excellent job at stippling and the reduction. However, he decided to close shop.

Dremmel tool with the sandpaper wheel and GO SLOW! Practice on something before you get to grinding away your Glock! Plastic, a piece of kydex...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Wrapping small pieces of progressively finer sandpaper around the correct size dowel works very well. Very little chance of taking away too much at once.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Thusly

On this note, I have a billet AR lower with a knife like edge on the machined it trigger guard. It's brutal, I don't know what genius thought it was a good idea. I'm getting close to taking a file to it.

Posts: 21111 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you recall, this is one of those easily missed details that Langdon did to their 92 frames on the LTT Elite. Added a bevel along the whole trigger guard.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
High grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a Sharpie does the trick in no time.

Posts: 4085 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m considering replacing my CCW so I stopped into a store today. Both the Glock and the Hellcat rub and irritate my middle finger where the trigger guard and front strap meet.
Have you actually shot them? My 3rd generation Glock 19 felt this way just holding it, but never gave me a problem actually shooting it. However, I have had a few guns gouge up my trigger finger. The worst offender was a CZ P-01. The sharply curved trigger gouged my finger so badly that it left a flap of skin hanging and stung for several days afterwards. It felt fine just holding it. I suggest, if possible, renting these guns.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not shot either of them. I can’t imagine wanting to. I’ve decided to go with the PPS. They seem well regarded, it fits nice, and I can get it with the F8 night sights.

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post