SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Mechanics - Some Help Replacing Dislodged Rear Mud Guard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Mechanics - Some Help Replacing Dislodged Rear Mud Guard Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
For reference, the vehicle is a 4WD 2013 Toyota Tacoma. It has factory plastic fender flares.

I backed over an unseen rock and knocked off my right rear mud flap / mud guard. It's not broken too badly at all and I think it will go back on more or less securely.

The three 10 mm bolts / screws will be easy to replace / reattach, but I am not familiar with the three plastic "push pins" (for lack of knowing the proper term).
1. Do you buy them at the Toyota Dealer?
2. Do you just push them in and they reattach into an unseen receptacle like magic?

Any help is appreciated.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with my 4Runner on a mound of frozen snow. As noted, the flap is secured with a combination of steel bolts and plunger type push-pin gizmos. After removing the flap to determine the extent of the damage, I discovered that not only were a few of the push-pin gizmos pulled loose, a couple of the plastic inserts for the steel bolts to thread into were also pulled from their mounting holes. Figuring these were both single use fasteners, I ordered new parts from Toyota then reassembled. Tip: When installing the plastic inserts for the steel bolts, examine the original holes for damage and rotate the inserts 180° from their original orientation. This will give the two tabs on the insert something to bite into.

L: Insert for steel bolt. R: Plunger type push-pin gizmo

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Thanks HJS, that is very helpful. Just seeing the parts gives me a much better idea of how they are installed.

I will go see my local dealer and order some.

Many thanks. As usual, this forum always comes through!

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can reuse them.
Pull the center up and it falls out, push it in to secure it.
New ones are cheap. https://www.autobodysupply.net/W-E-3362-p/w-e3362.htm

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pep boys stocks them by the body work area if you need a couple.

Don’t need to disassemble to remove. Just pop the center plunger up to release the expansion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me with my 2011 Tacoma except it was one of the front mud flaps. Ripped the part of the fender they attach to apart so that it can not be reattached. One of the rear mud flaps just disappeared. No idea what happened to it. Ordered another one with those plastic things in shown in hjs157's post and installed it with no problem. Plastic attached to plastic with plastic. Grrrrr

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
I got my new pushpins online from a Toyota parts place (a dealer selling on the Internet). First, go to ToyoDIY.com, create an account and enter your vehicle. This gives you access to the EPC (electronic parts catalog), with handy drawings of each section of the vehicle, showing each part with its part number, and the schematic shows how/where it goes. Having the part number (pushpin in this case), throw the number into a search engine and you will find lots of places to get it, sometimes even Amazon. If you order from an online dealer, expect to pay as much for shipping as for the small part itself. Better to find a couple of other things to order along with it, to ease the shipping cost pain. I usually get a new set of OEM wiper arms/blades.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a Lowe's nearby, they also have a small automotive section that has the plastic push pins.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure this is what you need.
https://parts.olathetoyota.com...VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D

They are quite longer and slimmer than the ones you see holding the trim under the hood.
If in doubt, just show the parts guy the vehicle itself and he will get what you need.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rear flaps are currently held on by just the bolts on my 2015. The only issue I have is where the mud flap meets the fender flare. Due to the movement of the mud flap, it has worn off the paint on the fender flare.

Posts: 230 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I went to the local Toyota Dealer and ordered the "Plastic Push Pin Rivets" (Toyota simply calls them "Clips"). I needed an extra one for the other side, since it is mysteriously missing just one. I better check and see that the screws are snug on that side.

For the other parts, I will see if what I have is still serviceable. If not, I will order knock-offs from Amazon.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
For a good fit get exact replacements from your toyota dealer, since none of those plastic clips of any kind from any brand of car are standard. All those guys are 200% proprietary. Any other solution has a 95% chance of 100% frustration.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post