SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations on personal steel targets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on personal steel targets Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing my first set of personal steel targets for range use. I'd obviously like to make this set as flexible as possible for both pistol and rifle. I'd like to get perhaps 2 or 3 8-inch steel targets as well as a 12" steel target that I can easily setup in downward-angled fashion for pistol work, but also setup as hanging gongs via chains or rubber on my 200-500 yard rifle range. The 1/2" AR550 targets seem to be very popular. I'm also considering some lighter-weight targets specifically for .22LR pistols. I'm curious what specific products people currently use and can recommend that would meet my needs. What else do I need to consider? Thanks for the help!

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Pricy - but fun:

Thanks. But I should have stated in my original post that I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. No, I don't have a budget yet. I'm still figuring out what's out there. Static targets are fine. No need for reactive targets. These are for pistol plinking and longer range rifle work.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Okay maybe a dumb question but is there a inherent risk of ricochet shooting at steel targets? I've just always used paper targets, cans, clay pigeons. Plus looking at the prices of those steel targets Eek

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay maybe a dumb question but is there a inherent risk of ricochet shooting at steel targets?

Yes. That is why you use quality steel, place targets at an approriate distance and angle them downward. It is nice to get immediate immediate feedback of your performance.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For anyone considering steel targets I highly recommend Action Targets’ steel targets resource guides. Angling is good with fixed targets but obviously won’t work with hanging targets that are commonly used with rifles. Much more important is ensuring that the steel isn’t cratered or otherwise damaged.

A couple of links:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...fx1115OOE1AT2SXf6R4f

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...tZbZk9dlHUan6RTxwrJ5

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
JC Steel targets are excellent.

http://www.jcsteeltargets.com/

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10543 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have purchased steel targets from JC, Action Target, and MGM Targets, and been happy with all. I also purchased some cheap ones from one of the online discount places (Sportsman’s Warehouse?, but I can’t be sure), and they ended up cracking around the hanger hole after moderate use.

The big problem I have found with rifle targets is their hanger systems, especially when using smaller targets at closer distances and I want a realistic challenge (12" at 100 yards isn’t it).

One errant shot will cut a chain and I’ve ripped small targets out of firehose hangers. Hangers made of rubberized conveyor belt are the best flexible hangers I’ve found, but a bullet that hits a top edge of the target will fragment and can cut a belt hanger almost in two. There are hook hangers that suspend targets from T-posts, but unless the target is larger than desirable, a 308 rifle hit will bounce it up and off the hook.

And if we’re shooting multiple shots for time, targets on flexible hangers take a while to stop moving, which is an annoyance.

Legion Targets has a new system that uses 2x4 boards in a tripod holder and rigid steel targets that can move a little back and forth, but don’t twist when hit. I haven’t used mine much yet, but I believe they will be the best system I’ve tried yet.
https://legiontargets.com/collections/legion

I’ve never tried to make the same targets do for both rifle and pistol shooting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have bought a number of steel targets at SHOOTSTEEL.COM
Also a few from Amazon
I bought all 3/8" armor500 and one that is 1/2" armor500.
A few small .22LR reactive targets from CDNN.

I made a couple poppers,not hard.

Rifles need to be shot at 100yrds (1/2"steel for 257 Weatherby and any other higher velocity rifles).
Handgun and shotgun (with target loads) at 30' or more.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use MGM and have been very happy. I have a number of different styles and they all seem pretty decent. Since I have access to unlimited amounts of fire hose I generally make up rifle targets using that and it lasts pretty well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I own a stable of steel targets ranging from cheap to expense ipsc pieces.

The best target and stand combo I have found in recent years is from https://laststands.com/

It's around $100 or so for a complete kit -- just add rebar for legs and cross pieces.

The steel has performed flawlessly, the stand does not require level ground, it adjusts for height very easily, and targets hang at the correct angle to deflect all bullet fragments safely downwards.

I add various small 1/4 pieces on homemade hangers to the crossbar to make fun 'know your limits' racks for my kids.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with this. Just some electrical conduit, brackets, hooks, and gongs. Got them all on Amazon. I have two sets...a 4" gong at 20m for pistol and this 10" gong at whatever long distance I'm doing that day.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I bought from Karl at GT Targets. I have been very happy with them. They were used at a MOAC week and performed perfectly.
Karl is a member here.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
On the cheap? A plate size of your choosing from whichever company is closest (for shipping) and a shepherds hook from Lowes.

Posts: 21378 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will second GT Targets. About 2 years ago bought several of his setups for my department. He invited to his shop, described everything, and made recommendations based off of our training objectives. Targets are of excellent quality and have held up very well!

Posts: 681 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these torso targets. It hasn't failed yet and I have had it for 2 years. Rated for up to 3000 fps. ETA - the upright is just a 2x4. I have to replace it every few thousand rounds as it gets eaten up by splatter, but that is cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 874 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
I have one of these torso targets. It hasn't failed yet and I have had it for 2 years. Rated for up to 3000 fps. ETA - the upright is just a 2x4. I have to replace it every few thousand rounds as it gets eaten up by splatter, but that is cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have some from them direct. Nice targets. The SuperHangers are also interesting but I have not tried them.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post