SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bye, bye Sears
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye, bye Sears Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Really a shame, I bought a lot of things there when we moved 20 years a go, fridge, washer dryer (still have the kenmore front loaders), mower, trimmers, tools, heck the last big tube tv a 36 inch I bought at Sears.

The one at the larger mall up by the interstate seems to be doing fine, the one by us not so good but that mall is failing as well.

They built an outdoor mall down south that has taken off like gangbusters, the traditional indoor mall not so good.

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
It seems a lot of malls are in trouble. I know walking into our local mall (Goldsboro, NC) is like stepping into an early 90's mall but in great disrepair.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money...s-BByFpjX?li=BBnb7Kz

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Sad. A happy memory is going into the Sears store with your Mom and Dad and smelling the warm nuts at the candy counter just hoping you could talk them into buying some. Sears literally had everything when I was growing up.

RMD
I remember that!

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
I can remember going to Sears with my dad and looking at J.C. Higgins rifles and shotguns.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Sears treated my mother poorly somehow about 30 years ago. I forgot what happened exactly but she was really angry at the situation. She said she put a curse on Sears. I've never heard her put a curse on anything before. She is a gentle, mild mannered nurse. That is when Sears started going down hill Smile.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My Sony Bravia was purchased at Sears.

Our local Sears is at the mall, and I still go in to shop when I visit the mall.

It's just now, at this stage of my life, my visits to the mall are rare.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
We depended on Sears (and Aldens catalog) when we were young newly weds. A few years later we rescued my wife's little sister from a bad situation and went to Sears to buy her a wardrobe for Junior High. Sears sold motorcycles briefly and we bought one made by Galera which gave good service. If a car needed tires or a battery we went to Sears. As time passed we gradually started buying elsewhere. Their high interest rate is one of the things that drove us away.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
My first ever firearm was a J.C. Higgins bolt action 20 gauge. I got it for Christmas when I was 10 years old. Still have it.

CW

Posts: 3208 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
When I was 12 I told my parents that I wanted to start collecting tools. Every Christmas and birthday my Dad would take me to Sears and let me pick what I wanted. I too have a small pension from Sears that I haven't started collecting yet. I called Sears Pension Services yesterday and they told me it was guaranteed by the governments pension service. Like the gov. ever gets anything right. Pretty much figure it's a 50/50 chance I'll get it.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough, in the night class I took on business management, Sears was the subject of a segment.

Sears would buy a few of an item, then buy more and more until a contractor had to hire more employees.

Eventually Sears would increase their demand for product till the contractor had to invest in new equipment and facilities to keep up. Whole factories.

Then, once the contractor was committed fully, Sears would lower the boom and tell the contractor how much they would pay for the product.

Sneaky!

The lesson was to diversify and have no one major customer.

I will miss Craftsman hand tools. That's all I have used in my business and personal life. Mine are all still 100%, but some day I will need to replace them unfortunately.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
My dad worked for Sears at Northwest Plaza in St Louis in the 1970s and 1980s, he worked in their credit department in some upstairs office area. I have fond memories of going there as a kid, smelling the popcorn being popped, raiding the vending machines for candy. He eventually moved on to another job but everything he bought was Craftsman and Kenmore. He has several Sears firearms that have little intrinsic value but great sentimental value. Sears stayed at that mall until they died together in the mid 2000s. Same thing with another one at Crestwood Plaza that passed on several years later. I ponder what memories our children will have... Sam's Club/Costco/Trader Joe's? Receiving Amazon boxes by drone? Having all the tools I need, I've moved on from Sears as their quality suffered. Kmart does a good job at almost giving away LEGO with their Shop Your Way rewards, so I still go there sometimes to pick up online orders. After Columbine they stopped selling anything useful in their sporting goods though.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
There's a Mall in a local City (Lima Ohio) that has on one end Sears, in the middle J.C.Penney, and the other end Macy's. Nuf said. Roll Eyes

Same here in the Sacramento CA area. The Macys actually has two locations in the mall, one for women's and one for men. When they all shut down, it's going to get ugly.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1543 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Maybe these malls can be turned into shooting ranges and active shooter training centers.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Have to go to Wally World.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I remember going to Sears in the early 70s. It was thriving - THE retail store to shop at.
The shoe department had the electronic shoe-sizer. You stuck your foot in a square and it would size your foot.
Allstate Insurance, which started in Sears, had agencies in the stores.
They still sold Allstate-brand tires.
There was a killer cafeteria.
Ted Williams-brand ball gloves, shotguns, hunting clothes.
It had a furniture department upstairs.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
There goes my lifetime warranty on my Craftsman tools.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
There goes my lifetime warranty on my Craftsman tools.

They sold Craftsman already. Black n Decker is supposed to honor the warranty, probably with replacements made in China.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I loved the cafeteria at Sears. I remember my grandfather taking me to the cafeteria after he picked me up from school. Sears was less than a mile from our house so we would just walk. I always got a hot dog.

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
They sold Craftsman already. Black n Decker is supposed to honor the warranty, probably with replacements made in China.

Bad news for you: they're already made in China and have for at least the past 4 years. That was the last time I looked at a Craftsman tool. It was early 2013 right as I was getting ready to leave Oklahoma and I was looking for a set of long beam wrenches. Went to the local Sears and the package said "Made in China" but the prices were still inline with them being made in the US.

I passed. If I'm going to buy a Chinese made tool, I'm going to pay a Chinese level price.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I loved the cafeteria at Sears. I remember my grandfather taking me to the cafeteria after he picked me up from school. Sears was less than a mile from our house so we would just walk. I always got a hot dog.

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Bad news for you: they're already made in China and have for at least the past 4 years. That was the last time I looked at a Craftsman tool. It was early 2013 right as I was getting ready to leave Oklahoma and I was looking for a set of long beam wrenches. Went to the local Sears and the package said "Made in China" but the prices were still inline with them being made in the US.

I passed. If I'm going to buy a Chinese made tool, I'm going to pay a Chinese level price.

That's why God made Harbor Freight. Cheap, semi-disposable tools.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Interestingly enough, in the night class I took on business management, Sears was the subject of a segment.

Sears would buy a few of an item, then buy more and more until a contractor had to hire more employees.

Eventually Sears would increase their demand for product till the contractor had to invest in new equipment and facilities to keep up. Whole factories.

Then, once the contractor was committed fully, Sears would lower the boom and tell the contractor how much they would pay for the product.

Sneaky!

The lesson was to diversify and have no one major customer.

Pretty much a true story. And it's also how WalMart destroyed Rubbermaid and a bunch of other companies.

Posts: 11285 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post