SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bye, bye Sears
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye, bye Sears Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I believe my Sears credit card was the first major credit card I had. I think that was 45 years ago.

I carried it for years and years.

My tires were Roadhandlers, my batteries were Diehard, my tools were Craftsman and my appliances were Kenmore.

No longer.

Mike

Sears was also my first credit card about 1979. Still thankful they took a chance on me.

Back in the old days, it was said;
"A Sears Card is for life."

I guess another truth gone bad.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Management was asleep at the switch when the World moved their cheese.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

--it happens.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I know that the current management bought Sears, and likely Kmart also, as a real estate play. Running out the existing retail operation, and making it go away, may be an explicit part of the plan. After all, even these chains not withstanding, b&m retail is not what it was.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Years ago I thought Sears was a little outdated, but I still shopped there for tools, appliances, lawn mowers and such. I remember thinking when they merged with Kmart "that's really dumb" they are both going downhill. I had to look it up but that was 13 years ago and it has all been downhill from there.

They were the Amazon of their day. If they had been able to see the future and redirect all of that catalogue/warehouse/distribution network toward the internet they would be one of the top 10 biggest company in America.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a Mall in a local City (Lima Ohio) that has on one end Sears, in the middle J.C.Penney, and the other end Macy's. Nuf said. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I know that the current management bought Sears, and likely Kmart also, as a real estate play. Running out the existing retail operation, and making it go away, may be an explicit part of the plan. After all, even these chains not withstanding, b&m retail is not what it was.

quote:

This is commonly said, but I doubt it. All those stores and merchandise would be expensive assets to buy just to get the real estate. Not to mention losses on operations. Plus, I would imagine that a lot of Sears stores were in rented mall locations and no RE is involved.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sad. A happy memory is going into the Sears store with your Mom and Dad and smelling the warm nuts at the candy counter just hoping you could talk them into buying some. Sears literally had everything when I was growing up.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My grandmother retired from sears. She receives a very small pension from them ~$300 a month or so.

Anyone know if that's in danger? It's about a 1/5 of her monthly fixed income.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
My grandmother retired from sears. She receives a very small pension from them ~$300 a month or so.

Anyone know if that's in danger? It's about a 1/5 of her monthly fixed income.

"Sears Holdings has an almost $1.6 billion shortfall in obligations to its underfunded pension system for nearly 200,000 retirees, the parent firm's public filings show. The company’s retirees also could face termination of life insurance policies that provide roughly $10,000 to $12,000 in benefits for some."

Here

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Sad. A happy memory is going into the Sears store with your Mom and Dad and smelling the warm nuts at the candy counter just hoping you could talk them into buying some. Sears literally had everything when I was growing up.

RMD

and Icees!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 996 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been in a Sears for years. Think it was when I snapped a handle on a 1/2 ratchet.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Sears couldn't keep up. Maybe you can blame a particular person, but I'd imagine it is more complicated than that. Decades of doing things one way made it a behemoth that couldn't be turned quickly enough. The market changed and Sears didn't.

That's a good point jhe, "decades of doing things one way". I walked the isles of the sears tool section at a local sears store this week, and it was like walking back into a time machine. It was nice because I have nice memories of those days, but you're right, nothing has changed it seems. I spoke to a lady that I did business with in the auto dept for 20 years, and she is retiring while she still can before it's too late, since she had seen this coming for a long time. It still seems to me that Sears could turn it around, but that seems possible only for my generation, since I don't know any young people who would consider shopping at Sears, and have zero history with that type of relationship with great brands in a great brick and mortar icon.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

Hot salted spanish peanuts. A good sized bag for 10 cents scooped up by a lady in a white bib with a hairnet. People all around, it was a Saturday night cultural event. My family did that as it could afford, but what a great memory.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Our local Sears store is still an anchor-store in a dead shopping mall. There are zero retail stores left in the mall - except for Sears. It's been an empty shopping mall, except for Sears, for about 15-18 years now. Imagine going to a dead mall just to go to Sears.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I remember when the buy out happened. This was explicitly discussed. The hedgie that bought them either has some secret master plan to make money off of their demise, or is just a complete idiot.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:

This is commonly said, but I doubt it. All those stores and merchandise would be expensive assets to buy just to get the real estate. Not to mention losses on operations. Plus, I would imagine that a lot of Sears stores were in rented mall locations and no RE is involved.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite store for so many years but many years ago.. Still buy jeans there and tools but less and less now. Sad to see it as it is now.

Use to ride my bike to downtown Durham as a kid to pay off my newspaper route visit my dad at his job and make my way down main street stopping by the rail yard to see the trains and eventually to the big sears store - 3 floors and the auto center. Learned to appreciate merchandising and merchandise at places like Sears Belk etcc.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
When I was a teen and started tinkering with motorcycles and such my Dad bought me a basic set of Craftsman tools...
Me too. 1975, though I had to wait another year to be a teen. I still have that toolbox and virtually all of those original tools, but now in a stack of three Craftsman branded tool boxes. With quite a few old Craftsman power tools in their own plastic boxes too. Jigsaw, multiple drills, 'Dremel type' tool, sander, plus more socket sets. I'm sure there's more.

Anybody remember 'Tuffskin' jeans? I think that's how they spelled it.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Our local Sears store is still an anchor-store in a dead shopping mall. There are zero retail stores left in the mall - except for Sears. It's been an empty shopping mall, except for Sears, for about 15-18 years now. Imagine going to a dead mall just to go to Sears.

Big shopping Malls are also dieing as small strip malls are popping up all over small towns and on the edges of Cities. Even Wal-Mart is feeling the pinch of people changing their shopping methods.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is very sad for me personally. As mentioned above, Sears was often the first foray into credit for many young people. Sears would give them the chance and their newest card holders would shop with them to positively affect their credit ratings. First purchase for most guys was tools (it was for me). I have no idea what the ladies' preference was.

Going back a little further to the mid-fifties, our "school" clothes every year came from the Sears catalog...2 pairs of jeans and 2 shirts. We'd get the Keds Redballs locally. Mom bought Sears jeans because they were double-kneed and would just about make it through a full school year. I can still smell those new jeans when Mom unwrapped those brown paper packages and handed out the goods.

Whether it's bad management or changing shopping preferences or a little of both, this is still yet another piece of our unique culture that will be gone forever and it's sad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post