SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bye, bye Sears
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye, bye Sears Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Big FCC filing yesterday stated they may no longer be viable.

No surprise to anyone.

Fast Eddie Lambert Has protected himself on the back end from the financial fallout, setting things up over the years as Sears largest creditor.

The guy destroyed an icon in 9 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/...y-business/99479726/

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Oh the destruction started decades ago.
When Brennan ousted Dean Swift is when it started.
I worked there then and we discussed it at length with the stupid changes that were enacted.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Big FCC filing
Typo? FCC or FTC?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Yep.

There has been some discussion in the JC Penny thread.

I worked for them as a district manager for four years...the best way to describe what Lambert did is this:

Remember in the movie Pretty Woman when Edward explains to Vivian what he does? He buys companies and sells them off, piece by piece, until nothing is left.

Lands End - sold
Die Hard - sold
Craftsman - sold
Hometown Stores - sold
Kenmore - working on it.

Zero investment in brick and mortar sites. It's all a real estate game, and every fall Lampert sells off a group of buildings (real-estate) so he can put money into an account to guarantee he can pay bills for Christmas Merchandise from vendors.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Big FCC filing
Typo? FCC or FTC?

Typo, yes. FTC, no.

SEC.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that Sears started off as a catalog store then couldn't/wouldn't transform back into what they once were.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My Dad started with Sears back in the '50s and worked his way up in merchandise management, finally retiring in the mid-'80s. He always said that Ed Brennan---who'd ironically started out working for Sears as a teenager---started the downhill slide by sacrificing its soul, vision, and customers for dividends and the greed of the big stockholders.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I believe my Sears credit card was the first major credit card I had. I think that was 45 years ago.

I carried it for years and years.

My tires were Roadhandlers, my batteries were Diehard, my tools were Craftsman and my appliances were Kenmore.

No longer.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sears died for me years ago. I remember when my dad would take me there on a Saturday morning to get whatever from the man sections. We would walk the tool aisles and touch everything. The store was bright and clean. The tools etc. were high quality made in America items. The staff was friendly, expeditious, helpful and there were plenty of them. The store was as busy as could be. Years later all of that changed. It is as if the thug culture swept through and left decay in its wake there too. I recently bought a new Craftsman ratchet online. I compared it to my older ratchets and the lower quality is glaring. Someone or something sucked the life out of Sears. It is just a toppling husk now. Watch for vintage Craftsman prices to skyrocket.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Interesting that Sears started off as a catalog store then couldn't/wouldn't transform back into what they once were.

Sears catalog might as well be used as toilet paper.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

That's a great point.

And I think Ronin gives a great explanation as to what happened.

Sears was also my first "credit card."

Sears passing may be unfortunate but if they can't keep up / change with the times, that's what happens. They will go by the way of Woolworth.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20021 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and the top 26 guys in the corp.
won't miss'em a bit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Big FCC filing
Typo? FCC or FTC?

Good catch. Fixed it.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Big FCC filing
Typo? FCC or FTC?

Good catch. Fixed it.

Technically it's an SEC filing. You may view here.

Posts: 1850 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now this is interesting:

"In 2017, Sears launched a pilot location in San Antonio for a DieHard-branded auto service franchise, DieHard Auto Center driven by Sears Auto. The brand is intended to operate as a standalone version of the Sears Auto Center locations attached to Sears department stores; the location was chosen because it was in proximity to a Sears location that had closed."

They are trying a stand alone auto center next to a Sears store that was shut down. Wonder who came up with that plan?

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I believe my Sears credit card was the first major credit card I had. I think that was 45 years ago.

My tires were Roadhandlers, my batteries were Diehard, my tools were Craftsman and my appliances were Kenmore.

No longer.

Mike

Sears card was all my Dad carried when I was kid and he owuld buy only diehard batteries based on "there's always a sears somewhere". When I was a teen and started tinkering with motorcycles and such my Dad bought me a basic set of Craftsman tools and told me to set aside some money and buy one new tool each paycheck...Great advice!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe, but in 2007 SHLD had a stock price of $192/share, with a market cap of $28 billion

https://www.fool.com/investing...-sears-holdings.aspx

I was like the rest of you; Home covered up with Kenmore, Craftsman, diehard, clothing, bedding, towels, Ted Williams... Damn good stuff, backed up and serviced by a once great company. RIPieces.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sears couldn't keep up. Maybe you can blame a particular person, but I'd imagine it is more complicated than that. Decades of doing things one way made it a behemoth that couldn't be turned quickly enough. The market changed and Sears didn't.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

No longer.

Mike

Sears was also my first credit card about 1979. Still thankful they took a chance on me.

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It is still fascinating to me that a company heavily founded on mail order was unable to profit in the digital mail order world. I guess there was just too much of a time gap and the knowledgeable people were long gone.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post