SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you cook bacon on just one side in a fty pan?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you cook bacon on just one side in a fty pan? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Is deep frying bacon a thing?

Don’t know, but chicken fried bacon IS a thing:

https://www.delish.com/cooking...-fried-bacon-recipe/

https://www.food.com/recipe/ch...w-cream-gravy-156010

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This link shows how to twist and bacon. I'm trying it tomorrow.

https://www.realsimple.com/syn...ok-trend-we-tried-it

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

This allows the grease to drip off and the bacon to cook from the bottom too as the hot air circulates under the bacon.

Whatchoo talkin'bout Wilis? I want my bacon in the grease for as long as possible. From pkg to cooking in grease to mouth with as few stops in between as possible. Allowing the grease to drip off the bacon - unthinkable. Smile

Dude! Silly Wabbit, I’ll never steer you wrong! Whatchoo do is save the Nectar of the Gods, the bacon grease. Pour it into a jar. Then use it for, among other things, frying the eggs, or to add to the cooking of fried potatoes or hash browns.

You can thank me later. Or now.

(guffaw snort lol).

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you put the bacon on a cooling rack with a pan underneath it you will have perfectly cooked bacon every time. The same heat goes around the bacon and since the bacon isn’t resting on a hot surface it doesn’t try and curl away from the heat so your bacon will come out perfect flat and evenly cooked. You also don’t need to use a paper towel to get the excess grease off because it all fell into the pan during cooking.

I have done it this way in the oven, on a flattop and on the bbq pit and you get the same perfect results no matter the heat source.

https://www.amazon.com/Baking-...b3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I usually do it on all three sides. Confused
You got some triangular bacon, babe?

The way the question was worded I was thinking if a triangular pan existed.

I usually only cook on one side of my pan, but both sides of the bacon. Unless of course its the 3rd round and enough grease has accumulated to cover, at which point I add an onion quarter to keep from burning the grease, but now we are just getting crazy!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same heat goes around the bacon and since the bacon isn’t resting on a hot surface it doesn’t try and curl away from the heat so your bacon will come out perfect flat and evenly cooked. You also don’t need to use a paper towel to get the excess grease off because it all fell into the pan during cooking.

....gonna have to learn how to do this style SOON.

We've done the baked-in-oven style for decades now, in preference to others we had learned long ago.

I have yet to find a way to produce satisfactory 'baked bacon' goodness in the BBQ in any way I've tried.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
This thread is worthless without some pics!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Slight drift: there is an iron griddle commonly used by Koreans for ssamgyupsal which is basically grilled uncured pork belly / bacon which you then wrap in red leaf lettuce and condiments. Anyway, the griddle is sloped to allow the bacon grease to drain out while cooking through a hole into a cup or container.

Ssamgyupsal is amazing to eat. Try it in a decent Korean restaurant if you can find it then replicate easily at home.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This allows the grease to drip off and the bacon to cook from the bottom too as the hot air circulates under the bacon.

Whatchoo talkin'bout Wilis? I want my bacon in the grease for as long as possible. From pkg to cooking in grease to mouth with as few stops in between as possible. Allowing the grease to drip off the bacon - unthinkable. Smile

Dude! Silly Wabbit, I’ll never steer you wrong! Whatchoo do is save the Nectar of the Gods, the bacon grease. Pour it into a jar. Then use it for, among other things, frying the eggs, or to add to the cooking of fried potatoes or hash browns.

You can thank me later. Or now.

(guffaw snort lol).
The bacon fat is great for popping corn, too. I also add a little to my cast iron skillet when I fry Spam.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you bake bacon, does it spatter?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slight drift: there is an iron griddle commonly used by Koreans for ssamgyupsal which is basically grilled uncured pork belly / bacon which you then wrap in red leaf lettuce and condiments. Anyway, the griddle is sloped to allow the bacon grease to drain out while cooking through a hole into a cup or container.

Ssamgyupsal is amazing to eat. Try it in a decent Korean restaurant if you can find it then replicate easily at home.

Interesting. Here’s one of those griddles on Amazon (but it’s aluminum):

Tabletop Center Raised Round Samgyupsal Grill Pan

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J...1ETXSHMB05GT7AR6B0M6

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

The bacon sizzles, but I do the above mentioned method using a baking rack over a large pan so all the grease falls off and can be saved for later use.

I just now finished baking/eating bacon while using the bacon grease from earlier this week to sauté the onions and peppers before adding my eggs.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

Nope. I never cover the bacon when I bake it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course it is. The first time I had it a friend's mother made it. They called it "flour bacon." It was dredged in seasoned flour and fried in oil. Very good.

When I cook bacon, it's in the oven on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like mine crisp, including the fat so it's in the microwave with lots of paper towels above and below.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of our CG cooks years ago would deep fry bacon. I didn't care for it, but that was probably because the crappy bacon he had to work with wouldn't have been that great anyway.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post