SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you cook bacon on just one side in a fty pan?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you cook bacon on just one side in a fty pan? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Thoughts? Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I usually do it on all three sides. Confused

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Never heard of a fty pan! But, you can do it in a fry pan if and only if you apply a press early in the cooking process, and that the press is constructed so that it gets to cooking temperature. It will still not turn out as evenly-cooked as flipping. Of course, if you like your bacon somewhat less than crispy through and through, you might be happy with the results.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Not a pan, but a cookie sheet and one side only...in the oven. Been doing this for a couple of years at this point and doubt I'll ever go back to pan cooking.

Cooking bacon in the oven creates perfectly crispy, delicious bacon. It’s also super easy, creates less mess than cooking it on the stovetop and allows you to multitask in the kitchen. If you’ve never baked bacon, give it a try!

So what do you serve your bacon with? Well, everything! Including my poached eggs, soft and hard boiled eggs and fried eggs. And you can’t forget my paleo pancakes (and dipping bacon in that maple syrup – yum).

Slices of cooked bacon on a sheet tray.

COOKING BACON IN THE OVEN
When it comes to the most perfectly crispy, evenly cooked bacon you really can’t beat cooking bacon in the oven. But it’s amazing how many people have never tried it. It seems the stovetop reigns supreme.

Today I’ll share with you why you should change your habits and cook bacon in the oven. And trust me, once you cook bacon in the oven, you’ll never cook it on the stovetop again!

Cooking bacon on the stove creates splatters all over your stove top and produces hot spots on the pan. This means certain pieces of bacon may cook faster than others. And it’s why you might have some bacon slices that accidentally charcoal a bit too much while other slices are still undercooked.

Cooking bacon in the oven cooks all of your bacon slices evenly as the heat surrounds them. They slowly sizzle, don’t splatter and end up evenly cooked. It’s a beautiful thing.

HOW TO COOK BACON IN THE OVEN
It’s incredibly easy! Though it always helps to watch a quick video tutorial. Watch the video below!

OVEN BAKED BACON – IN 5 STEPS
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Lay the bacon slices on the baking sheet.
Cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes or until it’s as crispy as you’d like.
Remove the bacon from the oven and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think it can get cooked sufficiently to safely eat.

But I usually prefer to fully render my bacon and have it be crispy on both sides. Usually, the bacon does not produce enough grease to submerge the bacon so I'll generally have to flip the bacon to cook it the way I like. I usually don't add extra oil.

Cooking in the oven I've found doesn't really require flipping....

ETA: what ^^^ said. Except I use 450-475F. And stress parchment paper and not foil. And a deeper baking pan (depending on how much bacon you're making).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Have done that Flash. it does work good but using the oven in the summer is not something I prefer to do.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've had success using the same method but using the gas Weber outside..... Get the grill good and hot (ie - 500F) but then turn it down when you put the baking sheet w/ bacon in. For me, medium is enough to keep the temp above 400F long enough to cook the bacon crispy.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I usually do it on all three sides. Confused
You got some triangular bacon, babe?

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Four sides, but I usually cut off one to keep the calories down. Wink

But to post a serious reply to the OP, I usually cook my bacon in the oven.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Triangle bacon, three times the goodness...

Smoke the bacon on the Traeger, 250 degrees until proper crispness is achieved.

Grease drips down through the grates and into the bucket, bacon comes out flat no waves. Make ya jump up an slap yo pappy.

Couldn't find any recent pictures, so I'll have to cook up a package of Costco Bacon tonight, just so I can share the image, not the bacon..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Package it up like Toblerone...

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the oven instructions, Flash. Never even thought to try it that way, but I will now.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
+1 for pellet smoked bacon, but I put mine on a rack, w. a cookie sheet underneath... And, go low and slow... (Well, sort of. Tried 180, and couldn't get the bacon to cook. Seems to need at least 225.)

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Slice the bacon lengthwise down the thin side, so you have two, much thinner slices of bacon. Then fry one and glue or staple it to the other side.

And Bob's your uncle, bacon fried on just one side.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I like to use a 1/4 size metal pan baking sheet with a wire rack.

This allows the grease to drip off and the bacon to cook from the bottom too as the hot air circulates under the bacon.

You can get a full size or a half size baking sheet pan with wire rack but I prefer the 1/4 size, it’s 9.5 x 13 inches, a perfect size for me.

Here’s an example Link

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

This allows the grease to drip off and the bacon to cook from the bottom too as the hot air circulates under the bacon.

Whatchoo talkin'bout Wilis? I want my bacon in the grease for as long as possible. From pkg to cooking in grease to mouth with as few stops in between as possible. Allowing the grease to drip off the bacon - unthinkable. Smile

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I broil my bacon (and other breakfast meats like sausage or Spam) in a toaster oven, with a foil cake or pie pan to catch, well, most of the grease.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Is deep frying bacon a thing?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Is deep frying bacon a thing?

I haven't tried it but I would be very wary of pops and splashes of oil.....

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I do it in the oven on a sheet pan. 12 slices on heavy duty foil. I'd have to take exception to using parchment paper at 475 degrees. I've seen pp catch fire.

I put it in a cold oven and set for 400. Start checking at 20 minutes and usually done at 22-24 depending on thickness. We usually use Wright's or Hormel thick sliced that comes in a 24 oz vac pack. Prefer applewood or cherrywood to hickory but it's all good. Drain on paper towels and add the grease to the jar in the fridge.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post