SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Awesome Find USMC Iwo Jima
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Awesome Find USMC Iwo Jima Login/Join 
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

4th Marines, or the 4th Marine Division?

This isn't my business but, the 4th Marines (4th Marine Rifle Regiment) are in the third Division. The patch in the Display is the 4th Division.

Correct. The 4th MARDIV fought on Iwo Jima, the 4th Marines didn't.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live not too far from the old cattaraugus knife factory before I moved west. Interesting how that region ( extreme southwest New York and north west Pennsylvania) had such a large concentration of knife makers. They contributed a lot of issue and private purchase cutlery in WWII.
Case, KA-Bar Ontario still around. Sadly most of the others don’t exist anymore

Great knife and story.
I myself wouldn’t restore it, but would clean it up a bit to prevent any further deterioration
And don’t store it in the sheath

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Great find, that's a family treasure to be passed down every generation

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I used to live not too far from the old cattaraugus knife factory before I moved west. Interesting how that region ( extreme southwest New York and north west Pennsylvania) had such a large concentration of knife makers. They contributed a lot of issue and private purchase cutlery in WWII.
Case, KA-Bar Ontario still around. Sadly most of the others don’t exist anymore

Great knife and story.
I myself wouldn’t restore it, but would clean it up a bit to prevent any further deterioration
And don’t store it in the sheath

I am really debating doing anything to it. I wasnt going to store in the the shealth but have it next to the sheath with the side my grandpa electro-pencil side his name facing out. I am considering something to apply to it to stop rust etc but not sure.

It actually has a faint smell of vinegar which may be the leather breaking down or maybe glues used in the leather stack handle. Either way probably not a good sign.

Really conflicted as to what to do but I am leanging toward leaving as is and just sealing it up in the shadow box etc. May put in some dessicate packets hidden in the box.

Ill figure it out. haha

I just wish I could get one of these knife is brand new condition. It is a really well balanced and tough blade. I have a modern KABAR and prefer this. I cant say enough about how good a job Cattaraugus did.

Posts: 1655 | Location: Steel City USA | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’d probably rub it down with Eezox or Brake Free Collector and leave it be from there.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would put it on a window sill for just a few days to let the sun and ultraviolet light dry out any humidity and kill off any mold or bacteria that would continue to harm the leather. Turn it over after a day or so to get both sides
Then maybe apply some Obenauf's Leather Treatment to the handle and scabbard to protect it a bit.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That is excellent!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
Good advice guys. I have some Eezox and that stuff is great and kills rust.

I will also treat the scabbard before sealing it up.

Thank you

Posts: 1655 | Location: Steel City USA | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had a knife and sheath just like that which had a USMC inscription on it.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So the way the pic looks, this knife would face front if worn on the left side, or face rear if worn on the right side?

Just curious, which side was the knife worn on, or was it dominant-hand dependent?

ETA: when I was in the infantry they'd gone to pseudo sharp (ish) bayonets, which IIRC we wore on the left side. Presumably this was since most are rh dominant you could fix bayonets more readily, but what do I know?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
So the way the pic looks, this knife would face front if worn on the left side, or face rear if worn on the right side?

Just curious, which side was the knife worn on, or was it dominant-hand dependent?

ETA: when I was in the infantry they'd gone to pseudo sharp (ish) bayonets, which IIRC we wore on the left side. Presumably this was since most are rh dominant you could fix bayonets more readily, but what do I know?

Pretty sure worn on the left. 1911 in typical WWII holster worn on the right. Plus thats what I see on the image search for Iwo Jima flamethrower Marines

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
That is some awesome history. I would not do anything to it. Maybe some 3 and 1 oil to inhibit rust, and some leather conditioner on the handle. Don’t clean it up, it takes away the history.

I recently had a reunion with a family member about 2yrs ago. And of course the topic of Marines came up. Her husband’s father was a Jarhead that got hurt on the third day of the assault, and was taken to a Navy medical ship. But he was able to see the raising of the flag at Mt. Suribachi.

I have seen the 2nd flag flown, still displayed at the USMC museum at Quantico. They have the original flag, but it is not displayed.

You have a piece of history…

Semper Fidelis.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Priceless !

That was a very uplifting story. My mom and dad were both WW2 veterans and I really love their stuff.

Posts: 345 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I would lightly, very lightly wipe it down with a wet cotton cloth. Let it dry. Just to get any grime off. Then use Renaissance Wax on all of it. It’s what the museums use.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
My Grandad , A WWII Marine on Iwo passed last year. I have some of his things as well, I believe he was with the 4th MAR DIV also. would love to see a pic pic of his 1911 you have!

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3320 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
My Grandad , A WWII Marine on Iwo passed last year. I have some of his things as well, I believe he was with the 4th MAR DIV also. would love to see a pic pic of his 1911 you have!

I had it but my grandpa wanted a cousin to have it so I made sure he got it. It still shot really well, was probably a arsenal rebuild by the time my grandpa was issued it. It is a rattle box and pitted all to heck. Looks as thought my grandpa had it re-parkerized in a black color.

Two oberservations about it are that the holster which I still have has the name of a serviceman stamped on the back that says HOYT unless that was the manufacturer. I never researched it. Second is the side of the 1911 that usually says Property of United States that wsa ground off, maybe at the time of refinishing.

Not sure why that was removed and if was on purpose or because someone was trying to remove pitting. Still has the original wood grips and they so worn and soft in the hand, its a really joy to hold. Almost melts into your hand.

It is a 1911 Colt not a 1911A1 like the RAND etc. Straight mainspring housing, correct hammer and mag release, slide release and safety for the 1911 etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I would lightly, very lightly wipe it down with a wet cotton cloth. Let it dry. Just to get any grime off. Then use Renaissance Wax on all of it. It’s what the museums use.

I remember hearing that stuff is great. I will do that after Eezoxing the blade. I just want to halt and rust on the blade but that Renaissance I have heard is great for leather etc.

Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
Got it all done. Put my grandpas EGA belt buckle he wore everyday, his dog tag and the black sand he brought back from Iwo Jima.

It will be preserved forever now.