SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    the 1942 USS Hornet photo with the bombers on deck....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the 1942 USS Hornet photo with the bombers on deck.... Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
can't find it now with search.

The photo is powerful. Does anyone have a link to just how they loaded those? And of course, just hos DID they managed to fly off the deck?

I thought I knew. The photo suggests more study is indicated.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were lifted on by crane, and were lifted off by crane when the HORNET got to Pearl. Saw the photo and story a few days ago but can't find it again. Photo was of the HORNET passing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
this thread? https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7620050184

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think they were loaded from a nearby wharf next to the runway.
The challenge in the Doolittle raid was the distance they would need to fly required a lot of extra fuel and that weight.

"The planes started to arrive at the Alameda Naval Air Station on the afternoon of April 1, 1942. Each crew was instructed to spend at least 1 hour in the sky to determine the flight worthiness of their aircraft. At least two of the crews could not resist the temptation of flying under such an icon as the San Francisco Bay Bridge. Both Captain Edward York and Second Lieutenant Dean Davenport guided their B-25s under the bridge. As they landed at Alameda, Doolittle asked each pilot how their aircraft was performing. Any issues, and the B-25 was directed to an area to be parked. Those without complaints were directed to taxi to a ramp by the wharf. Sixteen B-25s would be loaded on the Hornet. By 3:15, she would push back from the dock and head to Berth 9 in the middle of San Francisco Bay. The raiders would have one more night on the town."

This is a good article on the events.

https://b-25history.org/doolittle/raid.htm

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
They were lifted on by crane, and were lifted off by crane when the HORNET got to Pearl. Saw the photo and story a few days ago but can't find it again. Photo was of the HORNET passing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

They were loaded on with a crane in San Francisco, and then flew off days later to attack Japan. They never stopped at Pearl until after the Doolittle Raid.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

They were loaded on with a crane in San Francisco Alameda NAS , and then flew off days later to attack Japan. They never stopped at Pearl until after the Doolittle Raid.

FIFY

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
this thread? https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7620050184

So now we have a thread on the Picture of the USS Hornet Departing San Francisco Bay, 1942...

And... a thread to find the thread of the Picture of the USS Hornet Departing San Francisco Bay, 1942?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

They were loaded on with a crane in San Francisco Alameda NAS , and then flew off days later to attack Japan. They never stopped at Pearl until after the Doolittle Raid.

FIFY

Close enough. Oakland, Alameda - it's all San Fran to me.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post