SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Golf club set question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golf club set question Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I grew up playing golf with my dad and brother, but have not touched a golf club since high school. I recently decided I would like to play again. I think it would be a great way to spend time with both of them.

It's been a very long time and I don't want to spend crazy money on clubs. My goal is to keep it under $800 or so for clubs and bag.

Since it has been over twenty years I consider myself a beginner.

Would this set from Costco be a decent set?

https://www.costco.com/callawa...duct.4000230477.html

...with a bag like this?

https://www.scheels.com/p/call...gid=psearch&src=golf

Just looking for advice. Thanks!

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4254 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
IMO, the best thing to do is check Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace.

You can likely get a really nice set of recent clubs for a very reasonable price.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
IMO, the best thing to do is check Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace.

You can likely get a really nice set of recent clubs for a very reasonable price.

Any particular ones to look for?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4254 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm so far out of it now, that I don't know what's hot anymore. I have an old set of Ram FXII that I love, but they are far from the latest tech; Hell, they are probably close to 30 years old now.

Callaway, TaylorMade, Wilson, Ping, Ram, Mizuno, and Cobra are all well regarded brands.

I'm sure there is someone on here who is much more knowledgeable than me about the current state of golf. I haven't played much in years, and am looking to get back into it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Get used stuff.
Used Callaway rates their stuff VERY generously. Their “very good” is what I would call, “like new”. Their like new is for all practical purposes, “new”.
Global Golf is another outlet I’ve used as well as 2nd Swing.

If you can find a used set that will also include a fitting, (like 2nd Swing), GO FOR IT!
I’d take a used brand name set over a new Costco set any day of the week.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3891 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Get used stuff.
Used Callaway rates their stuff VERY generously. Their “very good” is what I would call, “like new”. Their like new is for all practical purposes, “new”.

If you can find a used set that will also include a fitting, (like 2nd Swing), GO FOR IT!

KMitch is right on. The last two sets of clubs I've bought were online from Global Golf and 2nd Swing. There are two or three other online sellers as well. I went and got fitted, and that helped narrow down my choices.

Posts: 4574 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Get used stuff.

This!

War Eagle!

Posts: 132 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No matter what you get, if you can try out, demo, hit to get a feel it would be beneficial.
Of course a fitting would be better but now you are on the path to spend a bunch more money.
The Costco deal looks fine but clubs are personal and may or may not be a good fit.
Most golf stores have hiting bays to try out clubs as well may have a lot of used clubs at a good deal.
Being a golf fanatic myself, I can tell you that it is a never ending search for the perfect club(s).
It just takes time playing, hitting to know what works best for you.
Good Luck.
There are some really great used deals put there if you know what to look for.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Our daughter and her husband just installed a new simulator in their outdoor garage. It was rediculously expensive, but they love golf. While our season here is 12 months, their season, in Montana is half of that.

I’m absolutely amazed at what a top end simulator can tell about every aspect of your swing. If I were looking at clubs, I’d want to hit them on a good simulator to see if they fit my swing. They’d lots of these around.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4280 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I have players in my foursome who have entire sets sourced from the used Callaway web site mentioned above. They love ‘em.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Maybe your dad & brother might have some extra clubs for you to use to start out or I've heard you can rent clubs at some golf courses (I don't golf). You might decide golfing is not a thing for you so don't buy clubs until you get your feet wet again.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4253 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there is a Play it Again store in your area, give it a try.

My clubs got lost in transit, so I bought a $100 full set with decent bag; played that day and shot the best score of my life to date!

It is not the tool; it is the craftsman!

Have fun with whatever you acquire - golf is a lifetime sport!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2162 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a set of Costco clubs for my son and played a couple of rounds with them. You will be fine with that set. PROMISE. You'll love the putter. Bag? If you walk, a big deal. I can't walk up and down courses any more but weight is a big deal for us old hackers.

Posts: 7690 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother just started shopping the Goodwill and various thrift stores, got a bag and all the clubs he needed (over a 6 month period) for around $50. And he was pretty selective. Apparently there are lots of used clubs out there.

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post