SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone’s Emergency SOS feature
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone’s Emergency SOS feature Login/Join 
posted
This was news to me. Here is how it works:

To activate the SOS feature, hold the power and volume button down at the same time. Users can also tap the power button five times. It only works if the Emergency SOS feature is turned on in the phone’s settings.

The phone then automatically dials 911.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The single press and hold to initially activate it also locks the phone to require your passcode to open back up.

So if the Po-leeeece are closing in on you and you don’t want them to be able to get into your phone with a fingerprint (which can be forced legally) then press and hold and Lockity-lock.

I might be a bit paranoid Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my iPhone XS, holding the right button (power) and volume down brings you to a screen where you can either shut the phone off, or you have to swipe for the SOS feature.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
This feature also has a medical ID section that can be accessed by others. This doesn't give access to any part of the phone just a screen that will show info you put in the ID section.

In this section, you can put whatever you want. Such as name and phone number. Emergency contact names and numbers.

This is good if you walk your dog or do other activities outdoors without your normal ID. Also good for elderly people that use an iPhone.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Make sure you go into settings and add emergency info. You can add emergency contacts, name and age, blood type and a few other things that might be useful.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This happened locally here a few days ago. God Bless Smile

Iphone SOS Feature saves woman at bech from sexual assault

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Didn’t know these things.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
A lot of 911 calls having Police searching for the callers.
They bump the two buttons while putting the phone into a pocket or elsewhere. Then when sliding the phone into pocket it swipes the display and if no response to cancel it will send a emergency call to 911. By then the phone owner has no idea 911 dispatcher is asking what your emergency is. No response the cell phone is tracked to your location and local police called.
Police respond to area looking for unknown trouble. This happens a lot in the county I work in.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That's how you do a screenshot on my phone. Power + vol down. Glad I never tried to do screenshot on wife's iPhone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Apple Watch also has a fall detection setting that will send a call to 911.

Been to quite a few of the inadvertent SOS calls from the phone and one for the fall.

A few serious collisions have set off the fall detection as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
That's how you do a screenshot on my phone. Power + vol down. Glad I never tried to do screenshot on wife's iPhone.

Isn't a screenshot pressing the power button and home button?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:

There's no "home" button on newer iPhones, starting with the X model.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Been to quite a few of the inadvertent SOS calls from the phone and one for the fall.

A few serious collisions have set off the fall detection as well.

I was splitting wood recently and stumbled over a log and almost fell. It was enough that my iWatch logged it as a possible fall and tapped my wrist to confirm. I was okay but it took two tries to confirm that no fall occurred and I was okay.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

This feature is not on the earlier versions. Not on my watch, which is a Series 2.

I believe that it started with the Series 3, not positive.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

This doesn't do anything on her phone, I tried it, you need to press the power button five times I think. Hers is an X.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I found out about it one day. A female voice coming from my phone in the cup holder of the car was asking if I was ok, if I could respond. Evidently, it wedged in there just right and 911 dispatch called me back after getting a phone call of just driving noise. I explained what happened and apologized profusely while assuring her I was indeed alright, aside from being a total moron tying up emergency resources. She laughed and assured me it wasn’t a problem. I felt incredibly silly.

I don’t put my phone in the cup holder anymore.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

This doesn't do anything on her phone, I tried it, you need to press the power button five times I think. Hers is an X.

On the newer iPhones, without no home button, you can do as Skins says and press the power(left) button five times or hold the power and volume up buttons together. After a second or two the SOS screen will pop up.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
On my iPhone XS, holding the right button (power) and volume down brings you to a screen where you can either shut the phone off, or you have to swipe for the SOS feature.

The 5 press is good if you have to call under duress, say the phone is in your pocket and you can’t swipe.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

The 5 press is good if you have to call under duress, say the phone is in your pocket and you can’t swipe.

It will sound an alert while it counts down by default.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will sound an alert while it counts down by default.

That can be turned off in settings.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post