SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Needed. Which 2nd Language?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Needed. Which 2nd Language? Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Espan~ol.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Very glad I learned German in high school.

I have no need of more French than it takes to read labels and order wine. Spanish is perhaps practical due to our demographics but eventually we will wise up as a country and get English training for immigrants back as a priority, and that advantage will diminish.

For my interests - European history - Latin and German were the top choices and since my HS didn't offer Latin, the choice was made for me.

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I would vote for Spanish big time, especially if the kid was interested in becoming an LEO.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
He should take Latin, in case he does business in Latin America.

Wink

It's a funny ol' thing, but, I read that Latin is making a comeback.

I've studied Spanish, French and Dutch. Speak none of them. Understand some Dutch.

My wife was, at one time, fluent in Dutch, English, German, French, and Spanish, and could understand a good bit of Latin. Still can understand those last four, but, is no longer fluent, for lack of use.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Spanish. Duh.

(Especially since he speaks Chinese already.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post