SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boss Hogg was a CIA Agent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boss Hogg was a CIA Agent Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Pretty cool...

https://m.warhistoryonline.com...g-sorrell-booke.html

The Dukes of Hazzard spent seven seasons regaling television viewers with the antics of a group of southern cousins as they dealt with everyday life that somehow involved leaping over ramps in a banged up but iconic car.

Opposing the cousins with all the skill of Barnie Fife on valium stood, among others, Commissioner Boss Hogg, a corrupt and greedy politician that managed to embody every southern stereotype while still being a beloved character to many who watched the show.

Played by long time actor Sorrell Booke, the man himself had a much wider range of skill and talents than the bumbling Boss would have some believe.

Born in Buffalo, New York, on January 30, 1930, he started acting before he was ten years old. Despite the early start to his long acting career, Booke took some time off to earn an Ivy League education from Yale and Columbia Universities. During that time he became fluent in five languages, including Japanese and Russian.

These linguistic skills were put to good use when the United States led United Nations forces during the Korean Conflict. During the fighting, Booke served in counter-intelligence, utilizing his mastery of languages to fight persistent intelligence efforts by Communist forces.

Like most who engaged in such work, his actual efforts during the conflict remain hard to discern specifically. Generally, however, counterintelligence efforts included debriefing returned and escaped American prisoners of war, observing terrain favorable to enemy and allied movements, and keeping tabs on enemy intelligence efforts in Korea and Japan.

The Korean Conflict was a hodgepodge affair, and its intelligence efforts were no exception. A source on the matter noted that despite these problems, “The system of arrest, detention, and thorough interrogation was effective in that many of the controlling enemy agents were removed from circulation.

The transmittal of vital information and free liaison between enemy agents and North Korean authorities was controlled and curtailed, and espionage operations by North Korean agents in general was retarded.”

Despite such success, Korean intelligence and counterintelligence was just as ad-hoc and seat of the pants as the overall conflict. Conducting operations, obtaining evidence, and coordinating with fellow agencies while often working against them complicated matters to almost satirical levels.

Through it all agents like Booke did what they could to support the soldiers on the ground and pilots in the air, making sure they could conduct operations without risk of sabotage or ambush.

Ironically, Booke appeared in a show that brought to light just how ludicrous some of the Korean Conflict’s antics were. In two episodes of the satirical comedy turned dramady M*A*S*H, Booke appeared as General Barker.

Though he did not appear in an episode featuring CIA Agent Colonel Flagg, Flagg’s efforts, oftentimes counter to those of the Army Counterintelligence Corps (CIC), no doubt would have struck a chord with the man.

Like many who served, Booke remained humble about his activities during the conflict, to the point that many noted astonishment of his 007-like efforts during the conflict after he passed away. A humble, jovial, intelligent man, Booke reminds us all of the heroes serving our nation.

Sorrell Booke in trailer for Devil Times Five (1974)
Though he may not have fought on the front lines, storming Inchon or the hills of North Korea, his efforts were no less laudable and no less worth noting.

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and though Booke needed a fat suit for his role on Dukes, the thought of a white suited, corrupt county commissioner counter-spying Russian, Chinese, and North Korean spies is almost as inspiring as his actual efforts during the war. Thanks to him, the North Koreans learned that when you grab a bull by the horns, you best be ready for a ride.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Very cool, indeed.

Thank you for sharing this Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Damn. a good read about an extraordinary man.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7660 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of folks around who just do their duty and move on...no one the wiser.

There's a lady here in town, the mother of one of our employees, who was a Colonel and Schwarzkopf's secretary. You'd never know.

Another gal, secretary for a bigwig in town, was a Marine. You'd never know.

They, we, just did their/our duty and went back to life like Mr. Booke and so many others. No need to wear it on your sleeve every day.

Interesting read.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Umm ... no, not CIA.

Army counterintelligence is/was not the same as the civilian CIA (Central Intelligence Agency). During the Korean War the Army organization was known as the CIC (Counterintelligence Corps). In the early 1970s Army CI still had a lot of power in Korea with much autonomy and little oversight. Although the official term had changed, we still referred to ourselves as the “CIC” with Korean authorities because it was a potent word that they were familiar with.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Umm ... no, not CIA.

"I'm with the CID; although I told your boss I'm with the CIA. It throws people off who think I'm with the CIC." -Col. Flagg

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
Very cool. A favorite show of mine growing up. Never would have guessed he was such a brilliant man.
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very cool. A favorite show of mine growing up. Never would have guessed he was such a brilliant man.
Thanks for posting.

Yep.
Loved the show...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
"I'm with the CID; although I told your boss I'm with the CIA. It throws people off who think I'm with the CIC." -Col. Flagg

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe in one MASH episode he told Henry to give Frank Burns a high colonic and send him on a 10 mile hike.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post