SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying new furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying new furniture Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I have to buy new living room furniture. Any recommendations on fabric, etc.?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Slick leather is nice if clothed but it you sit in shorts, boxers, etc you get stuck to it.

We’ve been happy with Layzboy imitation reclaimed leather. It’s a cloth material that feels like soft bomber jacket material. I think it is supposed to have some leather ground up in it but it is a cloth.

Posts: 17900 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Something that matches your painting of Elvis on black velvet. Smile

Posts: 22929 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with microfiber. Current sofa and loveseat came from Ashley. Good for the $$$

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids or not??

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
check craigslist. store margin on new furniture is crazy

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
check craigslist. store margin on new furniture is crazy

This is what I did. Found the bedroom set I wanted from Ashley, then looked on Craigslist and found a distributor. They delivered and installed it for about $1000 less than what Ashley wanted. The furniture even came in an Ashley box.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Kids or not??

Just an elderly cat at this point.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Something that matches your painting of Elvis on black velvet. Smile

Nothing can match that! Razz

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just bought a new (cheapo) recliner for BiL yesterday.

We got there a bit early and sat out front waiting for the doors to open and I was looking at the Adirondack chairs they had on display. These were made of some sort of composite material vs. painted wood which makes a lot of sense to me for outdoor furniture.

Cheapest one was $299. Per Chair! They went up to $499. Each. I was speechless. People will actually pay that kind of money for a stinking plastic chair? I'm in the wrong business...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15256 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under no circumstances do you buy an expensive TV armoire! You will find out 15 years later that even solid wood ones are about as desirable as having a rear projection TV. Mine now functions as a storage cabinet in the back yard. Lol.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Just bought a new (cheapo) recliner for BiL yesterday.

We got there a bit early and sat out front waiting for the doors to open and I was looking at the Adirondack chairs they had on display. These were made of some sort of composite material vs. painted wood which makes a lot of sense to me for outdoor furniture.

Cheapest one was $299. Per Chair! They went up to $499. Each. I was speechless. People will actually pay that kind of money for a stinking plastic chair? I'm in the wrong business...

People will pay a lot just for the name! Don't ask me why.