SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a heart rate monitor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a heart rate monitor? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I'm looking for a basic but good heart rate monitor; chest strap style, transmitting signal to wrist band display. I thought I'd decided on this one https://www.amazon.com/Polar-H...XDNRZGXKAPDCYXB1MCB8 but I learned from the reviews, the strap battery cannot be replaced. How poor a design is that? Anyway, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Not looking for a bunch of functions, heart rate is most important. Thanks!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with specific chest strap/wrist display combinations, but will say that I don't like the chest strap kind. When I started regularly exercising on a Peloton home spinning bike and needed a heart rate monitor to connect to it, I bought one of the optical arm-worn monitors (a Wahoo TickrFit) and it has worked great.

All that is to say that if you're looking for a HR display on your wrist, I might look for one of the watch-type units that has an optical HR sensor built in, rather than requiring an external chest strap.

The optical units do require more power to run, so they're usually rechargeable and do need to be charged regularly.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd look for a Polar M32 with chest strap on eBay. Both watch and chest strap have replaceable batteries. The instructions will tell you they're not, but they are. I've done it. The watch is a bit tricky to do.

The only problem with that chest strap is the snap connectors tend to corrode--and quickly. Rinse thoroughly under warm water and dry thoroughly after each use to avoid that problem.

I occasionally treat mine with DeoxIT, as well.

There's an M32 listed as "New, other" for $14 + $12 shipping, right now. Seller has 100% positive feedback.

Ask the seller, but I would expect both parts will need batteries right out of the gate. I bought my first M32 in 2006 or so. Because I hadn't realized what was going on with the chest strap until it was too late, I bought a "New, other" one, where the seller had replaced the batteries, in 2010.

I'd snag another one, myself, but, when my current M32 dies I'll probably upgrade to something that will talk to my iThings so I can maintain history.

Be careful with non-Polar devices if you want to use the displays on gym equipment. Most of them will receive Polar HRM signals, but not Garmin or any others.

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
All that is to say that if you're looking for a HR display on your wrist, I might look for one of the watch-type units that has an optical HR sensor built in, rather than requiring an external chest strap.

The optical units do require more power to run, so they're usually rechargeable and do need to be charged regularly.

Chest-band HRMs are far more accurate, far more consistently, than wrist-based HRMs. Every last test/review I've ever read has reflected that, as has my own test.

I have an Apple watch. First time I used it while doing cardio I wore my trusty old Polar M32 with chest band to check it. Much to my surprise: Unlike what I've read in most tests of wrist-based HRMs, it stayed w/in about 2 heartbeats/min. of my Polar even at high exertion levels... when my arms were motionless. If my arms had been pumping, like they would be while running or using an elliptical trainer, it would be wildly inaccurate. And it would take time to get back to reality. It's not like you could briefly hold your arm still to get an accurate reading.

I think it's ok on a rower, though. Don't know, for sure, as I've never A/B'd it against my Polar on a rower.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Scoshe Rythm+ for about 6 weeks now. It’s work on the upper forearm under the elbow and it’s been fantastic. Battery life is good and they are as accurate as chest strap versions without being a chest strap.

I sync it with my phone via the Wahoo app as I’m not concerned with knowing my heart rate in real time. That being said, it has a LED that’ll turn colors to tell you what HR zone you’re in.

It is waterproof and transmits Bluetooth and AMT+ so connectivity shouldn’t be an issue. The only downside is it has no internal storage and has to be connected to a display or a recording device like your phone. This hasn’t been an issue for me except now I want to start swimming as well. So I just ordered the Rythm24. It has more LEDs, better battery life, but most important, internal memory. It’ll record a record for later uploading to my phone which means I can track swimming.

Exit: so far I use while at my physical therapy sessions, weight lifting, walking, and on the treadmill. It hasn’t skipped a beat, pun intended.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Chest-band HRMs are far more accurate, far more consistently, than wrist-based HRMs. Every last test/review I've ever read has reflected that, as has my own test.

I have an Apple watch. First time I used it while doing cardio I wore my trusty old Polar M32 with chest band to check it. Much to my surprise: Unlike what I've read in most tests of wrist-based HRMs, it stayed w/in about 2 heartbeats/min. of my Polar even at high exertion levels... when my arms were motionless. If my arms had been pumping, like they would be while running or using an elliptical trainer, it would be wildly inaccurate. And it would take time to get back to reality. It's not like you could briefly hold your arm still to get an accurate reading.

I think it's ok on a rower, though. Don't know, for sure, as I've never A/B'd it against my Polar on a rower.

Interesting. The one I use doesn't have a display and can be worn at the wrist, but they recommend wearing it just below the elbow, which is what I have done. It matches up closely with a chest strap monitor when I have worn both and never sends an obviously wonky heart rate since I switched to only using it.

On a spin bike, your arms obviously don't move a ton, although there is some movement, especially when you're out of the saddle.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Garmin watch. Chest straps are uncomfortable and watches have gotten pretty reliable. I have a Garmin 235 (now my wife's) and a 645 with Music. Both are pretty great.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please look at “Wahoo TICKR X”.
Have used it for several years, very reliable, long battery life. Batterie can be replaced easily.
Compatible with many apps, not expensive.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies. Everything I've read about them indicates the chest strap style is the most accurate. And I want to be able to monitor my heart rate as I exercise so I can ramp up (or down) my pace to fit the goal rate. But now now I also wonder how inaccurate the wrist monitors are? I used to have a fitbit and liked it okay, but never used it as a HRM. If I want to maintain 60-65% max hear rate, is a wrist monitor good enough? If I up that 75-80%....still accurate enough +-???

I noticed in one of the ratings articles, the Wahoo was VERY good. And I can also appreciate the arm straps convenience, but still want to monitor the rate as I'm exercising.

ensigmatic, I took your advice and purchased the M32 on eBay. For the price, I figured it would get me going. I assume I'll be replacing the batteries.

I do see the convenience and advantage of others functions in a wrist-worn monitor and may eventually go that route if I can determine if the inaccuracy is within the +-5% range.

Thanks again for your replies.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'd go with a Garmin watch. Chest straps are uncomfortable and watches have gotten pretty reliable. I have a Garmin 235 (now my wife's) and a 645 with Music. Both are pretty great.

My experience has been different. I have worn a 235 for the last few years and got a HR chest strap in January. Same exercise and the HR monitor is about 15 beats per minute off from the wrist strap. Based on how I'm feeling during the workouts, I'm trusting the chest one a bit more.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
I personally use a Garmin HR strap that transmits to my Garmin bike computer...I'm using it for cycling.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have a Polar H10 chest strap that i monitor on my phone. Works great.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I’ve been using a Scoshe Rythm+ for about 6 weeks now. It’s work on the upper forearm under the elbow and it’s been fantastic. Battery life is good and they are as accurate as chest strap versions without being a chest strap.

Have you ever actually compared it in a side by side test to a Chest Monitor? I suspect NOT. I have. Picked up the Rhythm Plus to have something quick to ease on when taking the dog for a walk. Found out on the very first walk it does a LOT of Estimating. 200 feet from the house it had my HR reading 132 bpm while my Garmin Chest band and watch were showing a HR of 84 bpm. The Rhythm Plus only started to line up with the Garmin near the end of a 2 1/2 mile walk.

BTW, due to a bad Mitral Valve and some clogged arteries I've spend a total of 6 weeks in the past year wearing a Cardiac Event Monitor and my Garmin Chest band has matched those portable EKG machines perfectly. I have also found out that only the Garmin Chest band was capable of producing an accurate Heart Rate during an attack of Afib while the LED wrist or arm monitors just read a normal HR.

In mine, and both my Cardiologitst and Primary Doctors opinions the LED monitors sold to the Consumer market are pretty much useless and for the doctors a PITA due to all of the false readings that are way high. People get these things and assume they are actually accurate when they are showing a Heart Rate in the 150's or higher and call their doctors in a panic. BTW, many Doctors are now telling their patients to call for an ambulance if there is any potential for a heart attack or something serious. Note, when you hit the ER for a non Emergency, such as a false Heart Rate reading, you are immediately liable for the cost of the ambulance and the costs accrued in the ER and most insurance plans won't cover a penny of that bill. Basically you can drop 2 to 5 grand over a false reading produced by a crappy and inaccurate Heart Rate monitor. Tip here is to learn how to read your own heart rate or purchase a basic blood pressure cuff that can provide a decent result. Note, Afib will "confuse" a blood pressure cuff with a resulting error shown on the display. So, even if you don't know your actual HR that cuff can guide you in deciding to call 911.

So, if you want a Heart Rate Monitor that is acutally as accurate as medical grade equipment they the ONLY answer is an electrically based monitor such as the Garmin Chest Monitors or the Polar HR monitors. In heavy use (4 hours a day) the batteries will last about 2 years and the monitors will last perhaps 3 years. Yeah, the chest monitors do tend to salt up internally and eventually the circuits fail. Which Is why I would NOT be concerned by a totally sealed unit without any provision to replace the battery. Because Chest monitors are relatively cheap. Personally I rotate my Garmin Chest units when the battery starts to fade because I know from experience that about 6 months after the battery fades corrosion will kill the monitor. Note, then the batteries do start to fade you will see inflated HR readings, so know how you respond to exercise and when the HR doesn't line up then pull out a spare and start using that.

Now for gear. Polar and Garmin's chest monitors both have the same snap patterns so the straps can carry either brand of monitor. I use the Polar straps because they are less salt effected than the Garmin straps. Means you can go 3 or 4 days between washes with the Polar straps while Garmin straps need to be washed every 2 days. Since I've been using Garmin products since the early 90's when I wanted a fitness watch with HR capability and GPS I went with Garmin. Currently I have a Garmin Forerunner 15, a Forerunner 235, and Fenix 3 HR. BTW both the 235 and Finix 3 have LED wrist monitors that are nearly 100% useless, they are only reasonably accurate when you are sitting at a desk pecking at keyboard. During actual exercising, even walking slowly, the LED monitors are 100% USELESS. Use a chest band every time you exercise without fail because any HR track from the LED will be JUNK.

Final notation. Wearing a chest monitor for ALL of my exercise sessions is what led me to seek attention for possible heart issues when I started to have Tachycardia attacks. End result is my use of an accurate Chest Monitor probably saved my life.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Scooter123, As I noted, above: I've found my Apple Watch to be w/in ±2 BPM of my Polar chest strap at all times, except when my arms are moving rapidly, such as when running or using an elliptical trainer.

If I remember, I'll bring my Polar HRM with me the next time I'm going to be using a rower and check the two against each other on that.

I know they track ±2 BPM on an upright stationary bike.

Btw: My testing was done during High-Intensity Interval Training, not aerobic-level cardio. It is during exertion that most wrist-based HRMs fall down.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Back when I rode a lot (cycling), I used a Polar HRM exclusively and went through a couple. Don't recall the chest strap battery ever running out - the battery dies in the wrist unit first. Decades ago, getting my max HR was always fun. Seem to recall the instructions stating that sometimes due to dryness you have to moisten your chest area before putting on the strap and did that now and then.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I use the Garmin HR strap in conjunction with my Garmin Vivoactive HR. The strap is more accurate than the watch alone.

I wear my HR strap when running or riding my mountain bike. I’ve had it for a couple of years now with no issues?

Um, I’ve never washed my strap! LOL

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
what did you get 6guns?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Got a Polar FT1 off of ebay seller hrmusa. Will report back after using.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
f2, sorry, I never saw your post in this thread.

I ended up getting the Polar M2 that ensigmatic suggested near the top of the page. I've really been enjoying it while biking and jogging.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I ended up getting the Polar M2 that ensigmatic suggested near the top of the page. I've really been enjoying it while biking and jogging.
cool! hooked up the FT1 for this morning's ride.