SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Phone Gurus, a moment of your time.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phone Gurus, a moment of your time. Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted
It's about time for me to replace my aging mobile phone. I have an LG that's over 5 years old.

I using Virgin Mobile and I'm satisfied with the service so I don't intend to change carriers. I can purchase a phone from them or get one they don't offer and just pay $10 for a sim card.

I would like to stick with Android and I'd prefer not to spend more than $200. I don't need to have the latest and greatest; just looking for a good value.

My knowledge of phones is about zero. What do you recommend?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Check with Frequencycheck.com to see if a given model of phone is compatible with a given carrier's network.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Looking at the virgin mobile site, my pick for an Android phone would be the Moto G6 Play, has a larger than average battery, decent camera, 5.7" screen, $130:

https://www.virginmobileusa.co...ails#/phones/moto-g6

It doesn't show if the storage capacity is 16gb or 32gb, I'm guessing for the price - 16gb; but it does support microSD for additional storage.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my Samsung S8 plus.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Virgin Mobile is CDMA so this samsung will work o. That network.

I got this for my daughter this phone works well for a 13 year old who uses it a lot.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAAM84SB0257

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you like your LG, look into their SV30 phone. Its a sweet heart and quite a good camera. When I can afford a new phone, it will be the SV30 or 40. Just saw a new SV30 sell for $200.00 and the week before it was priced at $250.00.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I am woefully out dated on phones. I recall seeing phones at COSTCO where they were advertised with all sim cards, and according to the signs there, would deal with any provider.

Other than that, have nothing to offer.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I have been very happy with my Samsung S8 plus.

Which model case are you using? If you use it on duty, it would need to be tough. That might roughly translate into being kid-safe, too. Roughly. Smile

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I have one of these leather type cases that folds over the screen. Also a gorilla glass screen protecter

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
If you like your LG, look into their SV30 phone. Its a sweet heart and quite a good camera. When I can afford a new phone, it will be the SV30 or 40. Just saw a new SV30 sell for $200.00 and the week before it was priced at $250.00.

Another option would be the LG G6. I love mine. It's a lot of bang for the buck. The biggest complaint I have with it is that LG is a little slow with upgrades but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:

I would like to stick with Android and I'd prefer not to spend more than $200.

This past January I was in the same boat. My 6 year old LG was overdue for replacement. Popped for the Huawei Honor 7X for $199 shipped and haven't looked back. They upgraded it OTA to Android 8.0 from the 7 it was delivered with. Been getting monthly security updates too. Solid well featured phone.

Yeah I know that there is a lot of negative press about them of late, although mostly about their push to be the dominant 5G hardware purveyor.

ADDENDUM: Just saw your Virgin Mobile is CDMA... the Honor won't work with that, so.... sorry.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If $200 is your budget, you'll find no better option than this new Motorola G6 Phone. Don't believe me, watch the YouTube reviews. This phone would be a huge leap forward for you while not breaking the bank.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Take a serious look at the Motorola Moto G6.

Here is a review from cnet.com:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/motorola-moto-g6-review/

You can buy it from several retailers, such as Amazon, Costco, and Best Buy. It will work with any provider. Simply pull the SIM card from your old phone, and put it in the G6 if you want to stay with your current provider.

It won't come loaded with all "bloatware," that would be loaded on a phone you get from a service provider. Although, it should be noted if you buy the "Prime Exclusive" from Amazon, it will come loaded with a bunch of Amazon apps.

It is set up for memory expansion using a microSD card, which is much less expensive than buying upgraded built in memory with high end phones like the Google Pixel or Apple iPhone.

All in all its a great phone, at a great price.

I have a Moto G4 Play, that I got two years ago. If broke, or was lost, tomorrow, I would run over to Costco and replace it with a G6.

FYI, if it matters to you, Lenovo bought Motorola several years ago. It's not a big deal IMO, but some folks get their knickers in a knot about it.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got the Moto G6 for my wife. Great bang for the buck.

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

I would like to stick with Android and I'd prefer not to spend more than $200.

This past January I was in the same boat. My 6 year old LG was overdue for replacement. Popped for the Huawei Honor 7X for $199 shipped and haven't looked back. They upgraded it OTA to Android 8.0 from the 7 it was delivered with. Been getting monthly security updates too. Solid well featured phone.

Yeah I know that there is a lot of negative press about them of late, although mostly about their push to be the dominant 5G hardware purveyor.

ADDENDUM: Just saw your Virgin Mobile is CDMA... the Honor won't work with that, so.... sorry.

Not for me, no thanks. If the federal government warns me another nation is selling phones that may possibly spy on me that's enough for me to stay away from their products.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the Moto G6 is the winner. I have a Costco membership so I'll try getting it there. Hopefully, it's still on sale.

I guess I just take the sim card out of my old phone and I'm ready to rock and roll?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the Moto G6 is the winner. I have a Costco membership so I'll try getting it there. Hopefully, it's still on sale.

I guess I just take the sim card out of my old phone and I'm ready to rock and roll?
When I checked a day or so ago, Amazon was less expensive than Costco (I'm a member too).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I checked a day or so ago, Amazon was less expensive than Costco (I'm a member too).

B&H usually has great prices on the Moto phones, but not at this moment.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barring anything unusual that's exactly how it should work.

When I got my G4, I swapped SIM cards, and was up and running right away.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind there are different size SIM cards, so you might not be able to do a simple swap. Pretty easy to look up what size a particular phone uses though. I believe Moto G6 uses nano sim.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post