SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone use a Chirp wheel, or other yoga type back wheels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone use a Chirp wheel, or other yoga type back wheels? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Do these help ease back stress? Just a scam? Anyone with experience?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever works, I've got a friend who swears by using the Wheel. Keeps his back limber and doesn't stiffen-up.

I've found those thick medieval looking rollers works for me. I started doing planks in the AM & PM and found they help a lot.

Posts: 14673 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't use a chirp wheel, but I have used an exercise ball and currently have a foam core cylinder that works great. You can get them for less than $15 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonB...a-284647030497&psc=1

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

https://gochirp.com/products/chirp-wheel-plus-product

Checking to see any there are any more recommendations.

There are similar wheels on Amazon for half the price but they don’t have the spine grove.

Gimmick or real deal?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I'm a nut for these kind of body therapy devices. I have a collection of at least 20 rollers - the large cylinders that you roll on the floor and the handheld rolling pin type.

Short answer is, I tried the Chirp and wasn't impressed w/ it, b/c it didn't do anything better than other rollers I already own.

Things to consider in a roller:

Diameter - a larger diameter gives a better stretch. A smaller diameter is better at targeting specific spots. You use a rolling pin type roller to hit spots a floor roller can't reach.

Density - your bodyweight & pain threshold will affect how dense of a roller you like. A denser roller is generally better for working deeper into tissue.

Texture - like condoms Big Grin, there's smooth vs ridged. Ridges & raised knobs are better for working into trouble spots and breaking up fascia. A lot of users find knobs pressing into their spine uncomfortable though.

The Chirp wheel rates large in diameter, medium-low on density, and smooth in texture w/ a channel to keep pressure off the spine. It's better for stretching your back than for working into muscle tissue.

Compared to other rollers, the Chirp is much narrower. That may be good for transport, but when you use it, you have to balance yourself much more. It also means you can't shift your weight or lean if say, you want to hit one side of your back more than the other.

The Chirp isn't useful for anything other than rolling straight up & down on your back. I prefer tools I can use all over my body and in different directions. If I want a good back stretching tool, a physio ball or inversion table works much better. If you want a massage tool, firmer, smaller diameter rollers and handheld rollers work better.

Since it seems you prefer something that keeps pressure off your spine, here are two devices I own and recommend over the Chirp:

MuuvSport Stealth Align foam roller

At 8" diameter, it is larger than most rollers, which helps w/ back stretch. It's wide, so there's no balancing issue like w/ the Chirp. The density is about the same as the Chirp. Even though Chirp uses a PVC core, it is thin and flexes a lot compared to other PVC core rollers.

EARTHLITE Wooden Massage Back Roller
or this
Ma Roller

If you have trouble spots between your shoulder blades or in your lower back along your spine, this will hit them like no other. It's solid wood, so it's as dense as you'll find.

If you're a 'crack addict' and want something that will pop your back, in my experience either of the above work better than the Chirp.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
Op. It is one additional tool in the tool box. I used to use a standard foam roller that "worked" well enough. However it couldn't quite get the hot spots I was suffering from between my shoulder blades. I gambled on the Chirp Wheel set when it went on sale for $99.00.

I have used it quite a bit and for me it took some getting used to. Like Iron said, balancing on it is required, so if you're not able or comfortable with that, then skip it.

The first time I tried it, I used the large wheel and eased into it. I found that the center spine channel made it more comfortable for me over the flat surface roller. I was able to get actual movement of my vertebra similar to a chiropractor "crack" which surprised me. I use it a few times per week to keep limber.

I have tried the medium and small wheels and they do provide more "force" into your back due to the smaller diameter. I have been sticking to the large wheel, since it seems to accomplish most of what I need.

I have kept the plain foam roller for things that the Chirp can't hit like off to the sides of my spine, thighs, etc.

I also got sucked into trying Acumobility balls. They are part rubber ball and have a flat surface so they stay put. The provide acupressure to knots quite well. I like them for an occasional release of a hot spot.

Back to the Chirp wheels, they worked well for me, but balancing on them is a bit tricky.

Good luck with the decision.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post