SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Barrett's Esophagus disease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrett's Esophagus disease Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
If you have it, what do you know about it and what are your plans to mitigate medical risks ? If you're an MD, or a patient, do you believe in the "wait and watch" medical type of advice, or would you rather try to seek surgery early before it turns to esophageal cancer ? I was just diagnosed with it, after I asked my gastro doc to followup with another upper endoscopy from a few years earlier. My suspicions were correct. It pays to pay attention to your medical risks. I don't always trust contemporary medical practice, after seeing people get sick or die after following the advice of their doctor contrary to what their common sense or gut judgement was telling them.

What do you think ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I had some swallowing episodes a few times a year for the last 5-6 years. When I went for my first colonoscopy, they did an upper endoscopy too - a two-fer. They stretched out my schlotzky ring and said I'd be fine. Nine months later I had an episode that was so bad, I ended up in the ER with another endoscopy. They put me on Omeprazole and it's been fine ever since. Never want to go through that again.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
They put me on Omeprazole and it's been fine ever since.

That was me. Throat spasms with difficulty swallowing. I also have a small hiatal hernia. I was put on Omeprazole indefinitely. All the problems stopped. But it didn't work out long-term for me.

Omeprazole is not supposed to be taken daily forever. It is good for treating inflammatory conditions in the esophagus from acid reflux, but it does have side effects. For me, it screwed up my liver enzymes. That has the visible effect of turning your turds tan instead of brown. I and my doctor decided it was just better to avoid quantities, and types, of food that were hard to swallow instead of dealing with messed up liver enzymes, which can result in long term liver damage and reduced function. I stopped taking Omeprazole. Within a month of so my liver enzymes returned to normal, which had the visible effect of having brown turds again.

After that, I had an episode of getting a piece of chicken stuck in my throat and having to got to the ER to have it removed. Two weeks later i had my throat stretched. I still have occasional difficulties, but I decided to lose weight and work out 3 days a week and that has help as much as the Omeprazole. I still have a hiatal hernia that needs to be fixed. But I am off Omeprazole. (BTW, I had a biopsy done at the time of the endoscopy and did not have any signs of Barretts. Just scar tissue from years of refux.)

Just watch your bowel movements. If you see an obvious lightening in your turds, it is likely that your liver is acting up. The lightening effect is because your liver stops production of bile which is needed for fats digestion. Bile gives your turds the dark color. Omeprazole reduces bile production in addition to reducing stomach acid production.

Instead of Omeprazole, you might want to try Zantac on an as-needed basis. And just watch what you eat and exercise and lose weight. Maybe that will work for you, maybe not. It worked for me.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good info. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. All symptoms disappeared with Omeprazole, and the doc reduced my dosage. I'm due for another EGD, putting it off cause I hate anesthesia. Will go in soon.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I've been on Nexium for a long time now, Barretts has checked out ok. I literally cannot go for more than 24 hrs without Nexium.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have chronic GERD and have been dealing with it for 25 years. Like Micropterus, it started with difficulty swallowing caused by a restriction at the distal esophagus. I had to be scoped and dilated twice before this issue was resolved. It’s probably a fair assumption that punching through the distal esophagus can worsen reflux issues, and I have it pretty bad. Fortunately, it has never advanced to Barrett’s Esophagus. I made it a practice to have an endoscopy at the same time I had a colonoscopy, and it’s always looked good. The first Rx I was put on was also Omeprazole, but it produced some side effects that I didn’t like, so I switched to Lansoprazole (Prevacid) and have been using it ever since. I take 15mg/day and it controls the reflux very well. I understand that there may be long-term issues with PPIs, but I have to have it. All the best in your treatment of Barrett’s, obviously, it’s nothing to mess with. I have no advice for treatment going forward, but hope that there is a non-surgical Tx that works for you.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Before I knew Omeprazole was OTC, when my first script ran out, I let it slide for a while, wanting to see if the issues would return. I definitely noticed a difference without the Omeprazole. So I went back on it after about a month. All seems fine now. I've had blood work done once since I got on it, and all came back fine. But I'm due to get bloodwork done again soon.

I also started out, believing this was a hiatal hernia issue. I had the barium swallow test done and the doc just said to lose some weight. I lost 25 lbs. on the keto diet and that made a difference. But that one episode that put me in the ER was bad. I was thin and in shape when that happened. While doing my blood work before scoping me, they said my triglycerides were high. I said that couldn't be, as I hadn't touched a grain of sugar or carbs for the last month. They said it could be caused by job stress too. And I was in a pretty bad spot in my job then and very stressed out.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Before I knew Omeprazole was OTC

I used to buy it OTC, but then got my PCP to prescribe a 90 day supply, for which I pay $12 copay. Much cheaper than the OTC prices.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be hesitant of taking protein pump inhibitors. I have a friend who died of Kidney disease caused by the little purple pills.
I have minor kidney problems and I believe it was caused by those as well.

On the flip side, my brother is being treated for Esophageal cancer right now, chemo and Radiation.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long term PPI use should be supplemented with Magnesium and B12

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I've never had a full blown episode of food getting "stuck", I have noticed that an episode of night time reflux will result in a bit of "tightness" or slow transit when swallowing for the next few days. My solution has been to significantly cut down on food intake in the evening. I usually pop a Tums before bed to neutralize things even a bit more.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
My mother just died of esophageal cancer. She was diagnosed six weeks ago. Drank too much and smoked. An especially cruel way to go. The chemo was aggressive and she just wasn’t strong enough. Untreated, the tumor would have suffocated her. I have GERD and am at risk of Barrett's. I’m on Prilosec for a couple weeks until I get my diet straightened out.

I don’t smoke, and I’m quitting alcohol just to be safe.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
My mother just died of esophageal cancer. She was diagnosed six weeks ago. Drank too much and smoked. An especially cruel way to go. The chemo was aggressive and she just wasn’t strong enough. Untreated, the tumor would have suffocated her. I have GERD and am at risk of Barrett's. I’m on Prilosec for a couple weeks until I get my diet straightened out.

I don’t smoke, and I’m quitting alcohol just to be safe.

Sorry for your loss. I'm curious about how long she may have had this condition before it was diagnosed. Seems to me, this stuff starts out pretty small and long before it becomes terminal. And it's kind of hard to ignore the warning signs, well, in my case at least. Had she really had no issues at all, then one day had one, got checked out and first learned of it all then? I made sure to ask 1) at my barium test, 2) first upper scope and 3) second upper scope if they saw any signs of lesions or esoph. cancer. All negative. But it's obviously something to keep an eye on. I drink more than a moderate amount, smoke at most a pack per week, sometimes with months of nothing in between and exercise religiously.

Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Ear ache she ignored in February. Then a constant cough, hoarseness. I kept telling her to go in. She kept putting it off. When she was finally diagnosed, the tumor was stage 4 and 8 cm.

But yes. There were obvious signs something was wrong. Especially given her history. Such a waste.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post