SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which free DAW(s) for new audio interface?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which free DAW(s) for new audio interface? Login/Join 
posted
Have just acquired Focusrite 18i8 3rd Gen audio interface. I am completely new to the whole idea. Came about because I wanted a way to use my xlr mics with a webcam for zoom conferences, and learned that you need an audio interface to do so. Would not have gotten one, or one this capable and versatile, if it weren't for the fact I also play music, and figured I would enjoy using it to record myself and friends.

Enter the DAW. Unit comes with a couple of options in the software bundle, but I know there are lots out there. A bewildering number, in fact. Any knowledgeable audio/musical sorts here care to make suggestions? Ease of use would be a good thing, as I am somewhat tech-challenged. I did my last musical recording on a reel-to-reel tape deck (when I wanted better than my cassette deck), to give you an idea of my background.

I do have midi keyboard, and the 18i8 has loopback, so DAW(s) that utilize those would be good, too.

I want to start with free, because it will probably have way more than I'm capable of using to begin with; I can pay for more later if I know what I'm doing and need something free does not give me. TIA.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Cakewalk by BandLab is the one I’m currently using.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

That's one I'm looking at. You like it, I guess? Easy to use?

posted Hide Post
Further question: There's no reason one can't download and switch around among several, is there? I think the Scarlett would let you select from a list, right?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Yes, but it’s really the other way around - in whatever DAW you open, you can select the Scarlett as the active audio interface to use (as long as another DAW isn’t open and using it in “exclusive” mode where no other software is allowed to use it).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:

It’s fully capable. I like it better than Studio One that came with my interface.

Is it easy? For me, no. However, the only one that is easy is GarageBand but you need a Mac. There are tons of YouTube tutorials for all of them though. Take a few days and go through some of them.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Check out Reaper:

reaper.fm

It does everything ProTools can do at a fraction of the price. You can start with the free version, but the full home version only cost $60.

Reaper can handle audio, video, and midi. They have a long list of excellent video tutorials and an online forum moderated by the program's developers.

Reaper is also highly customizable so you can configure it to your own needs.I use Reaper to mix recordings of my band's practice jams. I've been using it for about 5 years and I've barely scratched the surface of what Reaper is capable of.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1907 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
Check out Reaper: ...
Do you like it better than Cakewalk? I found reaper difficult to use and a little bit buggy. It was a few years ago so I'm sure they addressed the crashing on startup issues.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Yes, but it’s really the other way around - in whatever DAW you open, you can select the Scarlett as the active audio interface to use (as long as another DAW isn’t open and using it in “exclusive” mode where no other software is allowed to use it).

Right. Got it. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:

It’s fully capable. I like it better than Studio One that came with my interface.

Is it easy? For me, no. However, the only one that is easy is GarageBand but you need a Mac. There are tons of YouTube tutorials for all of them though. Take a few days and go through some of them.

Have heard of Studio One; don't know much about it yet.

Yes, GarageBand is out; no Mac here.

Tutorials; yep, more than you can count. I'm already saturated with them; but I'll be watching more.

Thanks for replies.

DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Check out Reaper: ...
Do you like it better than Cakewalk? I found reaper difficult to use and a little bit buggy. It was a few years ago so I'm sure they addressed the crashing on startup issues.

I've never used Cakewalk so I really can't say how it compares. I used to use Ableton, but I found that program a bit confusing.

As for the crashing on start-up issue, that often has more to do with faulty or incompatible effects plug-ins than with the Reaper program itself. The Reaper forum is a wealth of knowledge about the program - much like SigForum.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1907 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check out Reaper:

reaper.fm

It does everything ProTools can do at a fraction of the price. You can start with the free version, but the full home version only cost $60.

Reaper can handle audio, video, and midi. They have a long list of excellent video tutorials and an online forum moderated by the program's developers.

Reaper is also highly customizable so you can configure it to your own needs.I use Reaper to mix recordings of my band's practice jams. I've been using it for about 5 years and I've barely scratched the surface of what Reaper is capable of.

Reaper is one that is high on my list. One of the YouTube tutorial makers that I have been learning from mentioned that he was using it. I'd be happy to pay the $60 later if I was using it and liked it. Thanks for the input.

P.S. I'm an old DeadHead, too. Saw a couple of great shows at St. Louis' old Fox Theater back in the early seventies, from about third row center. Five- or six- hour concerts, one that opened with NRPS, Jerry playing pedal steel with them. Unbelievable show.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
... As for the crashing on start-up issue, that often has more to do with faulty or incompatible effects plug-ins ...
I had lots of trouble with it from a fresh install, no plug-ins. IIRC, it started up well on my Mac but crashed on Linux. Not sure I tried it on Windows. But it was a long, long time ago and I'm sure that's all worked out by now.

Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
Have you ever considered "low cost" instead of "free"?

FL Studio is cheap and legit.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teombe:
Have you ever considered "low cost" instead of "free"?

FL Studio is cheap and legit.

That's another that I have come across. I'm not averse to paying for a DAW, but I want to know more about it before I do. I thought I'd try free one(s) to get some idea how it all works. I was hoping there would be people here with hands-on experience to steer me towards or away from various possibilities. Just looking at them on a list of the "best" DAW's, and reading about them there does not do much good if you don't know what they are talking about. So I'm going to dive in with one or two recommended freebies, or, as in the case of some, free trials.

To that end, I downloaded Reaper this morning. It is going to be my first exposure.

Thanks for the suggestion.

posted Hide Post
I use Studio One. Artist is the free version

I also have Logic but S1 integrates with my Presonus SL3 board easier

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6237 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, snwghst.

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I worked as a producer for about 10 years. I used mainly Logic Pro on a mac.

There are a handful of DAWs used by professionals these days. Pro Tools is the gold standard. Logic would be 2nd but its mac only. Cubase and Studio One are distant thirds (in terms of adoption, not quality).

There is also Ableton, but I left it out because it's not geared towards recording live bands.

They all have free "lite" versions that you can use. For live recording on a pc, I would recommend Pro Tools or Cubase. They are extremely high quality and capable. I don't have much experience with Studio One, but from what I know, it is a fine piece of kit.

Any DWA has a learning curve. If you have an analog recording and mixing background and understand the concepts of inserts, sends, busses, fx, etc, then it's just a matter of learning how the software does it. A lot of it is intuitive, but it helps if you've done it in the analog world.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, CSM.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I do not know if I have high recommendations for this… But this past week I needed a DAW and ended up downloading and using audacity . It’s free and fairy workable. (I just printed wet tracks.)

I know there are lots of other options, so choose your tools carefully. I think I’ll eventually get something else mo’ betta.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post