SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash Cam owners: have you needed a CPL (polarizer)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash Cam owners: have you needed a CPL (polarizer)? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Been looking at acquiring a Dash Cam that I can move between cars. Being retired I'm not putting a heck of a lot of mileage on my vehicles but still having a dash cam seems like cheap insurance against those who aren't honest about their responsibilities or who run from accidents.

CPLs or polarizing filters are sold as accessories aimed at cutting windshield glare. Not sure how effective these are, hence this thread and my query.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I do not. Haven't noted the need.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bought one concurrently with my dash cam after viewing the comparison videos on the dash cam review website. When I was in Calgary, my commute was into sunrise and sunset.

It darkens night slightly, but license plates are still very legible.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I do not. Haven't noted the need.

RMD

Same here. When viewing my driving on my playback window, the outside action is clear and easily viewable.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have not noticed any glare off the windshield. I do sometimes get a reflection of the defroster vents, but that has not affected the video.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mine works just fine.

In fact, I got a bully merger side swiping me today and when she found out I had a camera, her attitude changed completely. Second time I have been hit in a month by a woman not paying attention.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Don't have one and don't think I need one.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2569 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one on my dash cam and found that it did make a difference. Worth the extra expense? I am not sure.

Posts: 995 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My polarizer makes the day time videos look much better and there was very little clarity lost at night.

Was it worth the $10 - you bet!

Posts: 3825 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post