SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any sleep apnea sufferers that treat it with a dental device?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any sleep apnea sufferers that treat it with a dental device? Login/Join 
posted
If this applies to you, a few questions for you:

1. How long have you used it and any problems that have developed with your jaw?
2. Have you noticed a reduction in snoring?

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago. At the time I started out with CPAP but ended up not using it after awhile as it was causing me to wake up hourly, even after the style of mask was changed and my settings changed and then changed back to what they had been before. Long term I know this is probably not the best for me but want to look at some of the other options now. A dental device was briefly discussed way back when, but I felt like the clinic I worked with was quick to poo poo them as they would not be as involved in the process and not make as much $$ off of me.

Look forward to any insight you may have, thanks!

Posts: 340 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
My parents and siblings all have apnea. Some use CPAP/ZPAP, some use the dental guards and or tongue thing. I use the tongue thing and as long as I sleep on my side it makes a difference. I still can't sleep on my back but I don't usually anyway.

My brother uses the dental thing AND a tongue thing and says his O2 levels are good. His teeth are definitely being moved outward though. I don't know why he's so averse to CPAP.

I'd say maybe try a tongue suction thing and see how you like it. They're cheap. Then maybe a dental thing.

CPAP are amazing when they are adjusted properly. Changed my parents' lives. I imagine I'll have to get one eventually.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
CPAP would be best but you know that, I'd agree try the dental application, they don't require a prescription or doctor to certify that you need one, which IMO pretty much tells you all you need to know about it.

I takes some time to get used to the CPAP fought it for a year, but now I prefer it to sleep in fact with some sinus issues from allergy it helps me get air through my nose that would have me open mouth breathing/snoring

Check to see that they setup the Ramp-up is active, and set to run for as long as possible at start up on your cpap. Ramp-up will reduces the air pressure on the initial start up to a very low pressure, makes it easier to fall asleep vs having full strength pressure from the get go.

Its easy to set up, just Google the machine and model and Ramp-up, it's generally in the advanced settings of the model. There really isn't any reason they shouldn't

Also a BiPap or APAP may be better as it adjusts the pressure to your body's demand find it superior to the basic CPAP I started with.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Go see a different sleep doctor. You don’t want another sleep study, just ask him for a 2nd opinion on what machine and setting you need. He will need your records.

As stated above, you may need an APAP or BiPAP, or different settings, not a CPAP.

Posts: 11866 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
they don't require a prescription or doctor to certify that you need one, which IMO pretty much tells you all you need to know about it.

Some insurances will not cover it without one.

I have a Herbst Oral appliance and have used one for 10 years or so. My apnea is so minimal mine is mainly prescribed for snoring.
https://somnomed.com/ca-en/den...nt-herbst-appliance/

As another poster mentioned it really only works when I sleep on my side or stomach. But makes a substantial reduction in snoring. I have no jaw issues from using it. Your jaw will be sore for a couple weeks while adjusting the appliance and getting used to it. But after that no more issues.

I really would like a Somnodent Flex as it is supposed to be worlds more comfortable. You can also talk while wearing it. You can talk a little with the Herbst in but you are not going to carry on a conversation.
https://somnomed.com/ca-en/den...nt-herbst-appliance/

But my insurance requires me to use an orofacial surgeon for the device. There are 2 in my area that accept my insurance and both only do the Herbst.

Found numerous dentists willing to do the flex but insurance won’t cover any of it and they were about $2300 last check about 3 years ago.
I’ll check again in 2 years as insurance requires 5 years between sleep studies without a specified medical reason for the check.

They take a bit of getting used to but once you find the sweet spot in the adjustments drymouth is really the only downfall.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I have Central Apnea - They don't know why I stop breathing but I do even while awake while relaxing on the coach watching TV, I can catch the gasp when I stop breathing.

I found a Product called RemZZZ a few years ago and got 6 of them on their free eval - They are amazing. I wash them daily and find they stop some of the issues with air gaps that wake me up.

I would recommend trying them and see if they work for you. They are not covered by insurance and a little spendy but washing them will make them last for a long time.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful with any device that is not being monitored by a dentist. I treated a patient several years ago that was using a positioner and ended up with a complete anterior cross bite. The lower incisors were spaced and flared and the uppers retroclined. I saw him when it was still fixable with braces, but it cost him a lot more than a proper appliance would have.

Posts: 8963 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
with a complete anterior cross bite. The lower incisors were spaced and flared and the uppers retroclined.

I don't know what yer saying but it doesn't sound cheap or pleasant..

The implant may help some stop snoring, but the CPAP/APAP/BiPAP helps with a lot more and if you have one with the humidify attachment then dry mouth won't be an issue.

Guess being a APAP user has me a bit bias on the product since it's stopped my snoring, and hence no more sore throats or pasty dry mouth...

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
with a complete anterior cross bite. The lower incisors were spaced and flared and the uppers retroclined.

I don't know what yer saying but it doesn't sound cheap or pleasant..

Sorry. I'll try layman's terms. The device was putting pressure where it shouldn't be and jacked up his teeth. Smile

Posts: 8963 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The dental devices are expensive ($5k is not unusual) and rarely covered by insurance. Bi- paps have a very specific prescription, usually high pressure settings that most people could never tolerate.
I have had several patients that went for Surgeries and not met anyone yet that said it solved all their issues.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
My wife tried one at first, but she had pretty severe apnea. She had to adjust the device so much all her teeth got loose and the front teeth started tilting forward. Also, hurt her jaw all the time. She ditched it and went with a cpap device. much happier now.

Posts: 2123 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post