SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washing Machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing Machine Login/Join 
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted
What brand does the collective brain trust like for a front loading washing machine?

Not a luddite, but really don't see the necessity of some of the high-tech features found on today's machines. Really don't want a phone-app for a washing machine. I think a lot of times these features are added because they can, not because they serve any useful purpose.

That being said, let the recommendations begin.

Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1462 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We have a top load Speed Queen washer (and drier) with manual knob control. So far 7 years and not one single problem whatsoever. My wife and I had zero interest in a front load washer unit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
Answering this will of course necessitate a repair, but oh well.

We have Samsung and Electrolux machines. The Electrolux is by far the superior machine. It is going on 15 years now, not a problem. I've replaced the Samsung and don't trust it.

Posts: 805 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife & I found that most washing machines "hot" was really barely warm. We ended up with an LG "H" model that did not mix the hot water with cold to "save" energy. It also has a sanitary setting that uses real hot water.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4328 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We've had a top load Speed Queen with the agitator for several years and love it. We still use our 11-year old Maytag Bravos dryer.

Our Speed Queen has the digital buttons and it hasn't been an issue.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000: We have Samsung and Electrolux machines. The Electrolux is by far the superior machine. It is going on 15 years now, not a problem. I've replaced the Samsung and don't trust it.

Electrolux washer and dryer in this house for the last 6 years. I don't hear any complaints from Mrs. 'Hook and my clothes always seem clean. No repairs needed to date.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2563 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Bought Whirlpool washer (top load) and dryer in 2006.
18yrs later, have replaced the door switch on the dryer (easy DIY). Have fed the washer about a bazillion jugs of detergent. That's it.

Posts: 4826 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our top load Whirlpool washer has been terrible. It’s about two years old and I’ve had to replace the water inlet valve twice and another part in the base of the machine (clutch ?) once. That clutch part is going out a second time and it’ll be a matter of days before I’m replacing it.

I owned Kenmore/Whirlpool for years. These modern ones are a shell of the older, non computer board models.

If I can fit a Speedqueen T5 in that space, I’ll upgrade.

Posts: 39 | Registered: September 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
After much studying I replaced my 20 year old GE front load washer (and dryer) with Electrolux 300 series. I chose Electrolux because their good reputation and the fact (I believe) all they make are front load washers. The 300 series is fine, no need to spend more unless you want "additional cycles and features".

https://www.electrolux.com/en/...d-washers/ELFW7337AW

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
We have owned Speed Queen washer and dryer for 6 years without a single issue. The only thing about them that isn't desirable is the dryers hot setting is super hot and we never use it. I had issues with whirlpool washer before we got the Speed Queens. If the Speed Queens ever die in my lifetime I will buy another. Very happy with them.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen Classic Series.

Wait, you said front loading…never mind.

0:01

Posts: 4278 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older Maytag top loader washer and front load dryer with knobs.....I love it and it works 100%.

Posts: 6701 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had a set of Sears Kenmores, lasted 15 years until the drum bearing came apart, repair costs were in the neighborhood of a new washer.

Replaced them with a set of Maytags, 10 year warranty, so far they have been very good, this year the dryer heating coil went out, looks like it got too hot and snapped. Replacement parts were not expensive and easily done myself.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen analog - new in 2016 zero problems but it is top load.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Speed Queen FF7 and DF7 set

Great front loaders. Washer is almost 350#. It’s a beast

Don’t use the eco setting on either, that’s just there for .gov regulations

Don’t use the hottest setting on the dryer, it’ll melt synthetic fibers

Queen size comforter is about the biggest you will get in the washer, a thin/summer weight king size will fit, barely. Will need to pull, fluff and reposition in the dryer to fully dry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen front load with digital controls. I think we've had it at least 5-6 years now. No issues and seem built like a tank. Very heavy. Bucket on the medium to smaller side but more than we need. Would buy again without hesitation.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the washer at work went out, it was replaced with an IPSO, one of the Alliance Laundry brands that includes Speed Queen. I looked at the Speed Queen version (online, as no one locally had one in stock), and it appeared identical.

The IPSO has lasted about 7 years so far doing several loads a day, with no problems or repairs.

I prefer top load, but if I had to get a front load it would be Speed Queen/IPSO.

Posts: 557 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I just bought this GE Combo in the spring and am very happy with it. It replaced a Maytag Neptune that had a discontinued part fail after 20+ years of service.

I like the microban lining on all surfaces that get or stay wet. It has a feature that purges excess water and uses the drum and vent to dry the machine once you've finished laundry. I find that very effective. My Neptune had mildew start a few months in, so far nothing from this one.

The larger machine as a soap dispenser you fill once and it lasts a month, dispensing the correct amount of soap for each load. Unfortunately it was a few inches too big to fit in the house.

The place I bought it from was adamant that 1 oz of modern HE soap was more than enough for most loads and most people use way too much. I followed that advice (apparently how the larger machine dispenses anyway) and have seen no reduction in cleaning. I did run several items that had been done in the Neptune through several rinse cycles until the water purged without soap. All of my cloths have been through at least 2-3 rinse cycles before washing again.

GE UltraFresh Vent System 4.8-cu ft Stackable Smart Front-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR

UltraFresh Vent System With OdorBlock™ - the first and only UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ eliminates excess moisture to help prevent odors ensuring your washer stays fresh and clean

Microban® antimicrobial technology - built into components including the gasket, dispenser and draining system delivering protection that lives on load after load

Built-in WiFi - start, stop and monitor your laundry from anywhere while receiving real-time notifications and updates

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38187 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of them can do what Moms wringer washer did.

26 minute wash and rinse.

My new custom home will have hookups for three washers and three dryers.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2005 we went to Best Buy to buy a washer/dryer set. We picked a brand and model out, just on looks, and the sales guy asked us “why”.
He then compared that brand with the LG. Spin cycle on both. Day and night difference. That would be what I suggest. Find a store that has a live demo.
We’ve had one issue in 19 years that cost me $100 to fix. But I’ve heard Samsung and LG have issues with parts and service. But we would probably buy LG again.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1139 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post