SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1st time on a dirt bike in over 20 years after my wreck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st time on a dirt bike in over 20 years after my wreck Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Rode dirt bikes some in my early teens. Never could afford one but some buddies had them so I rode theirs. Nothing fancy just a motor and two wheels pretty much. None of us wore or even had any gear. I was 13 or 14 I guess and buddy got a new to him bike. We had a nice little route we had made that was paved and off-road. I’d done it countless times on a number of bikes.
Turn at about the halfway point was pretty tight dead end portion of a street and you’d slide the back wheel to get around and pretty much the first time you needed the brakes.
This bike had no front brakes (I was unaware) so instead of pivoting on that front wheel while sliding the rear the whole bike just kept sliding until it hit the raised wall of a driveway.
Put me down under the bike and pant leg stuck in the Kickstarter with the throttle now stuck wideopen spinning me and the bike in a spiral on the concrete until my pants finally ripped off and freed me from the kick starter.
I got lucky and did not hit my head or break any bones but I sure was a road rashed bloody mess with lots of gravel picking and soap scrubbing.
Never rode again after that as we moved away a short time after and all the new friends were getting cars.
Have had the opportunity a few times over the years to get back on one but never enough to really break the fear.
Took my boys over to their buddies last night and they just bought a couple 50s and a 100. My boy is 6 and not quite ready for 2 wheels but he’ll likely get a little side by side in the spring and the 2 year old was having a blast trying to learn the power wheel.
But of course they kept telling me to take the 100 for a spin. Well a bit of peer pressure and not wanting my boys to be afraid of them I dawned the helmet and kicked up some dust.
Did not take long to get the hang of it again. Granted my size 14 boots had some difficulty getting under the shifter of what is essentially a youth bike.

It was a blast that is for sure but I still prefer my 4wheeler. They are less work to ride and I kind of prefer that. I’ll probably pick up a side by side soon so all the boys and wife can ride.

I told another buddy who rides dual sports who has been trying to get me to get one. So of course I am getting bombarded by him with 250s for sale he finds.

I have to say it felt good to overcome a fear I have carried with me for over 20 years.

Anyone want to guess the first thing I did when I got on this bike?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25702 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess a wheelie!!

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stu1000rr:
I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess a wheelie!!

I'm no expert, but I'll bet he checked that front brake first.

They are a ton of fun. Be careful, the minis are a gateway drug.

Since you mentioned preferring the four-wheeler, and there's a ton of good natured ribbing between bike/moto guys and utv/quad guys, I'll leave a little joke for you:

Q: What's the hardest part about riding any quad???

A: Telling your parents that you're gay.

Wink

Posts: 10811 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Checked the brakes, then spun the back end around?

I wrecked a street bike (60 mph and walked away, yes, miracle) when I was 19. I haven’t been on a bike since. I have had a few opportunities, and almost jumped on my friends GSXR 1000, but thought, why?

I have a SxS. Polaris Razor. It is without a doubt the most enjoyable vehicle, recreational or otherwise that I have ever owned. Here in the great state of AZ, I can register it. So it is a street legal off road toy. It has all the necessary stuff to make it Street legal. I also changed out a handful of items to improve it, on and off road. The best upgrade was a great set of tires, and some mirrors that weren’t “required” but make life better.

I highly recommend getting one. It’s like a quad that is a lot more fun.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Street legal you say Beancooker...that is interesting. I have an affinity towards off road vehicles that people are successfully able get plated/street legal.

I’m a pretty big motorcycle enthusiasts but for off road fun I do prefer a good ATV like a Honda Recon or Yamaha Raptor 700 over a dirtbike. When you run into trees or whatever (and you will) it doesn’t hurt as much on an ATV. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I have to say it felt good to overcome a fear I have carried with me for over 20 years.

I'm going on 33 years and won't get back on dirt. I do ride street though.
My accident on dirt was bad.
Good for you getting back on a bike and going back on dirt again.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Checked the brakes is correct.
I am 6’2” and 240 so a bit big for this 100 so no wheelies or kicking the backend out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25702 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just keep your GOPRO ON!!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I can tell you a Honda 250 will ABSOLUTELY fly and has the ability to leap over small buildings...

I quit riding when I was about forty because I knew I was gonna kill myself sooner rather than later. I had a long good run of no injuries and could see the writing on the wall.

Sold the street legal bike when Mrs. Mike got pregnant with the Tomminator and she couldn’t ride anymore.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would state my guess, but I don't want to get your thread locked. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Street legal you say Beancooker...that is interesting. I have an affinity towards off road vehicles that people are successfully able get plated/street legal.

I’m a pretty big motorcycle enthusiasts but for off road fun I do prefer a good ATV like a Honda Recon or Yamaha Raptor 700 over a dirtbike. When you run into trees or whatever (and you will) it doesn’t hurt as much on an ATV. Big Grin

It’s quite nice. Saves having to trailer it to hit trails that are within 20 or 30 miles. It tops out at 73 MPH, so it’s good to go on the highway. I did put DOT approved tires on it, and as I mentioned, quite a few upgrades. But yeah, here in AZ, as long as it has headlights, brake lights, a horn, rear view mirror, and a license plate light, they will issue a plate.
I may just have to drive that to work this morning. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

Although our group mostly sold our ATVs years ago there was a time when we rode them extensively for camping, hunting, fishing, and of course 4WD day trips...used them around the house for home projects and snowplowing quite a bit too.

There is a different mindset in the West, remnants of our cowboy days and riding the plains in freedom, and several (not all) Western States take a more practical approach to regulating ATVs.

When Dad was still alive we would visit him in Wyoming and I always got a kick out of seeing ATVs stopped at an intersection or riding down the main avenue of town...and not just SxS but honest to goodness Quads...and no specialized equipment like horns, mirrors, or street tires.

Come hunting season in some small WY towns, the streets are thick with them.

There are a couple tiny towns in Colorado, probably more than 10 miles from the nearest pavement, and we would ride down the mountain trails and through them on dirt bikes, ATVs, and snowmobiles, or regular 4WD street legal vehicles. Hell, I've stopped off to refuel my ATV at a gas pump at the local General Store while grabbing a candy bar, and you could also stop at the local small restaurant or grab a cabin for the week...the "town" pretty much caters to fisherman, hunters, snowmobilers, and anyone off-roading. As long as your ride had the appropriate annual stickers indicating you had paid your off-road fee you were G-T-G.

One of the many things I love about Western living...but I see signs of that slowly changing someday, and wonder when there will be another attempt to push helmet laws on motorcycle riders.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by Modern Day Savage
quote:
When Dad was still alive we would visit him in Wyoming and I always got a kick out of seeing ATVs stopped at an intersection or riding down the main avenue of town...and not just SxS but honest to goodness Quads...and no specialized equipment like horns, mirrors, or street tires.

Yeah man I’d get a kick out of seeing an ATV on the road too. I do see them blasting down the highway occasionally when I’m near Charlotte NC but that’s just the local chuckleheads riding illegally and being idiots.

Two years ago I was sitting at a cafe in Copenhagen when a plated Yamaha Raptor screamed by. It made my day to learn some parts of Europe allow plated ATVs. I wasn’t expecting to see that while over there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by Modern Day Savage
quote:

Yeah man I’d get a kick out of seeing an ATV on the road too. I do see them blasting down the highway occasionally when I’m near Charlotte NC but that’s just the local chuckleheads riding illegally and being idiots.

Two years ago I was sitting at a cafe in Copenhagen when a plated Yamaha Raptor screamed by. It made my day to learn some parts of Europe allow plated ATVs. I wasn’t expecting to see that while over there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure ATVs are forbidden from interstates and highways, local trails and town streets only here.

No kidding? A plated Raptor on a European street? How cool...I wouldn't have expected that either.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

......if not the first, perhaps the 2nd: Crash?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rode dirt bikes some in my early teens......Have had the opportunity a few times over the years to get back on one but never enough to really break the fear.

Took my boys over to their buddies last night and they just bought a couple 50s and a 100. My boy is 6 and not quite ready for 2 wheels but he’ll likely get a little side by side in the spring and the 2 year old was having a blast trying to learn the power wheel.
But of course they kept telling me to take the 100 for a spin. Well a bit of peer pressure and not wanting my boys to be afraid of them I dawned the helmet and kicked up some dust.
Did not take long to get the hang of it again. Granted my size 14 boots had some difficulty getting under the shifter of what is essentially a youth bike.

It was a blast that is for sure but I still prefer my 4wheeler. They are less work to ride and I kind of prefer that. I’ll probably pick up a side by side soon so all the boys and wife can ride.

I told another buddy who rides dual sports who has been trying to get me to get one. So of course I am getting bombarded by him with 250s for sale he finds.

I have to say it felt good to overcome a fear I have carried with me for over 20 years......

Good for you Black! IMO small displacement dual sport motorcycles are perhaps the most fun of all. In fact I posted a thread about them here a month or so back. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...80051954&f=320601935

Of course ATV's and side by sides are fun as well (and I have both) but having 4 wheels they're just not the same. I will say that since getting a side by side my ATV is seldom ridden anymore.
WV is a pretty friendly state for ATV and side by sides. No registration or license is required and you can ride them on the road, we're "supposed" to stay on roads without a center line, or if on a lined highway only be going something like less than a mile, but no one seems to care because they are routinely ridden on all roads (except the Interstate) including in the town near where I am.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out riding a small Yamaha Enduro in the early 70s. I just looked at a KTM mid-sized dirt bike and was amazed at the difference in engineering, tech, and capability the Katoom has.
Made the old Yamaha look like a moped.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I just walk by my XR400 and think of days gone by. I'm sure getting on it would be a bad idea. Hate to smash the pacemaker.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good on ya Black92lx for getting back on a bike. Smile Dirt bikes were my entry into the wonderful world of two wheeled machines. Dirt bikes are fun as hell but they can unfortunately hurt you in a heartbeat....I got lucky and have only had one bad crash so far and in my case the bike got the worse end of it. I got lucky. But you learn and you ride more carefully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~