SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retirement place to live
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement place to live Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I've always joked I'd retire (whatever that is) in Spearfish SD. Congratulations on the next chapter wherever it is.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hendersonville / Asheville NC would be good.

So would Williamsburg VA. Lots of history in that area.

Good luck-

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would also give it more thought before moving to the far side, I totally agree with the CA exit though.

I'd start with evaluation of where any family members or close friends(either side) that you may want to hang with some. If well connected in CA, NV or AZ are obvious choices. Also consider hobbies and second, at least partime, job prospects.

I've seen about 5 extended family members move far after retiring, only to move back a handful of years later. Also, NC may not be the tax haven you think it is.

The State I keep in the back of my mind is SD. I can only handle the South a few months of the year.

Posts: 6422 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I wouldn't consider SC or TN warm.

I'd recommend the west coast of FL. Lot's of places on that coast where you could get a house in your price range.

Neither would I consider Florida warm. Nine months out of the year it's hot and humid. I was told you get used to it when I moved here 18 years ago. They lied.

If you like seasons, Tennessee is the place you want to be. I'd look in East Tennessee around Johnson City.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
...So would Williamsburg VA. Lots of history in that area...

Ten years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you but not now. Virginia has become a blue state due to a population explosion in the north (near DC) and a decreasing population the rural areas. Think of Virginia as Massachusetts Lite. Frown

I'll vote for East Tennessee where I grew up and wish my old ass was there still.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

Charleston reminds me a lot of Savannah, lots of history in both, but you would need to live 30 miles or so outside (east)of Charleston to get a decent sized house for your stated budget.

....!

Wouldn't that be in the Atlantic Ocean?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
We lived in Hendersonville for 6 years and liked it a lot. I don't know if you can find the house you're looking for in that price range though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re avoiding Memphis. A wise decision however Bartlett is Memphis. Lived in Germantown for years and watched the decline. My nephew still lives in Bartlett and is actively looking to escape- to East Tennessee

Posts: 805 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Southern Indiana suits me. Lots of great small towns within an easy drive from Louisville. Money goes a long way, great gun laws and central location puts 1/2 the country a days drive away.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

Charleston reminds me a lot of Savannah, lots of history in both, but you would need to live 30 miles or so outside (east)of Charleston to get a decent sized house for your stated budget.

....!

Wouldn't that be in the Atlantic Ocean?

LOL, yes it would, my bad!

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
p
The State I keep in the back of my mind is SD.

OH yeah. Sunny and warm there all year long. The OP needs to see sourdough44 lives near the arctic circle, just like SD. Not much wind, either. Especially in winter. It keeps the temperature down.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
One issue to consider beyond the financial is the health insurance. Strangely enough a friend is planning his retirement from the NY area. He considered TN except his health provider stated his coverage would not be effective in the state. Odd but a deal breaker.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Auburn/Opelika Alabama area.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
You and your wife are smart to avoid NY.
The taxes, politics, politicians and gun laws suck.
We do, however, offer great welfare benefits.
Good luck in your search.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I'd be headed for the Carolinas.

Don't forget your escape to a free state karma!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I wouldn't consider SC or TN warm.

I'd recommend the west coast of FL. Lot's of places on that coast where you could get a house in your price range.

Neither would I consider Florida warm. Nine months out of the year it's hot and humid. I was told you get used to it when I moved here 18 years ago. They lied.

If you like seasons, Tennessee is the place you want to be. I'd look in East Tennessee around Johnson City.

I live in Pompano Beach,FL. I'll take hot and humid over cold ANY day. If he wants cooler, the Panhandle area of Florida can be nice and is reasonably priced with nice beaches.....perhaps Pensacola.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
On that Memphis thing, you could look at living in
Desoto county, MS. You'd get the benefits of a smaller community (though still around 150K), more "down home" attitudes, and great quality housing for reasonable costs. Plenty of room to get some room between neighbors. Gun friendly....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
If I weren't anchored here, I'd be headed for eastern Tennessee. My only grouch with it is the high sales tax rate. But do the math before complaining much, it might still be a win due to the lack of income tax.

God bless America.

Posts: 13905 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Why not consider Arizona? Prescott is nice and cooler in Summer than Phoenix or Tucson.

This..Prescott. I retired after 30 years and I have been researching Prescott. All 4-mild seasons, they have more stores and restaurants in a town of 40-50 thousand than we have in our town of 140 thousand!

Humidity and bugs would keep me out of the SE states. Congrats on the retirement.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Why not consider Arizona? Prescott is nice and cooler in Summer than Phoenix or Tucson.

This..Prescott. I retired after 30 years and I have been researching Prescott. All 4-mild seasons, they have more stores and restaurants in a town of 40-50 thousand than we have in our town of 140 thousand!

Humidity and bugs would keep me out of the SE states. Congrats on the retirement.

In 1987, I moved to Prescott sight unseen based upon some reading and thinking about what I'd like in a place to live (and I'd already lived in a number of different parts of the country). I liked it. Most of the good things I'd heard or read were true. However, I was born and raised in St. Louis, and found that I actually like a fair amount of humidity; it was too dry in Arizona. I did gain an appreciation of the desert (Not that Prescott is desert; it's not. But it's in a desert state and region, the SW). It's worth considering if dry doesn't bother you.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post