SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rep. Jim Jordan announces run for House speaker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rep. Jim Jordan announces run for House speaker Login/Join 
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...r-house-speaker.html

Ohio GOP Rep. Jim Jordan, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, announced Friday he plans to mount an anti-establishment run for speaker of the House -- presuming Republicans keep control of the chamber.

“Should the American people entrust us with the majority again in the 116th Congress, I plan to run for Speaker of the House to bring real change to the House of Representatives," Jordan said in a statement to Fox News.

Jordan added, "President Trump has taken bold action on behalf of the American people. Congress has not held up its end of the deal, but we can change that. It’s time to do what we said.”

A Jordan aide said the lawmaker sent a letter to his colleagues announcing his campaign..

Jordan has long suggested he’s interested in a leadership bid next year. The announcement comes a day after Jordan and other conservative lawmakers -- who have hammered the Justice Department over its handling of the Russia investigation -- introduced articles of impeachment against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, the current speaker, has announced plans to retire at the end of the term.

A Jordan bid is considered an uphill climb. First, Republicans must maintain control of the House for him to have a chance. Second, Jordan would face likely competition from House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., and others.

McCarthy, the majority leader, said during a speech to conservatives on Wednesday that he plans to run.

“I do not want to see Nancy to come back as speaker,” McCarthy said at the Turning Point USA conference, referring to Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. “I want the next speaker to come from California, but I don’t want it to be Nancy. I want it to be me.”

Jordan would likely have the 40-plus votes of the conservative House Freedom Caucus. But it is less certain whether Jordan could command the 218 votes necessary to win the speakership on the floor on Jan. 3.

Fox News has been told by multiple sources over the past couple of weeks that Jordan’s candidacy could be seen through the lens of a “spoiler” or “kingmaker.”

Under that thinking, Jordan is likely to command at least 40-plus votes – enough to deprive McCarthy or Scalise the votes for speaker on the floor. But, if either of them -- or another candidate -- bows to Freedom Caucus demands, Jordan, and thus the Freedom Caucus, could then throw their support behind that person.

Jordan is expected to have the support of outside conservative groups affiliated with the tea party, like FreedomWorks, which said Thursday they plan to spend at least a half-million dollars in support of Jordan’s bid.

But Jordan would have trouble attracting widespread GOP support because some Republicans outside the Freedom Caucus don’t appreciate his guerilla tactics. He also still faces scrutiny over what he did and didn’t know 30 years ago about allegations of sexual abuse when Jordan served as an assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State.

Earlier this month, he told Fox News that the allegations are “bogus.”

“I never saw, never heard of, never told of any kind of abuse," Jordan said. "We would’ve dealt with it if we knew of anything that happened.”

It comes amid uncertainty over Republicans holding the House. University of Virginia political science professor Larry Sabato’s “Crystal Ball” this week said for the first time this year Democrats have the edge in retaking the House.

“Put it all together, and the Democrats now look like soft favorites to win a House majority with a little more than 100 days to go,” it said.

Also on Wednesday, a Quinnipiac poll said Democrats lead Republicans by 12 points in a generic House ballot, with Democrats favored over Republicans 51 percent to 39 percent.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm just hoping Pelosi isn't speaker next year.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"President Trump has taken bold action on behalf of the American people. Congress has not held up its end of the deal, but we can change that. It’s time to do what we said.”

I agree. Go Jordan, Go!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I would love to see what Jim Jordan would do in that position.

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm just hoping Pelosi isn't speaker next year.

Or anyone with a 'D' after his name.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I hope he is successful. Things just might be headed in the right direction.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Eh, let's see who's bucking for the job after the election, and let's see who is still on the list of candidates once it gets winnowed down and shaken out.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The swamp/deep state will thwart Jordan just like they thwart all of us daily. McCarthy is the anointed one by the establishment GOP, a man almost fully devoid of intelligence and character, and who will do exactly as he's told by those running the show from Washington.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What is the over/under on the Demonrats and their complicit media labelling him a racist, bigoted, homophobe on or before November 6th (aka election day 2018) or will they hold off until November 7th?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or anyone with a 'D' after his name.

Paul Ryan = D

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
What is the over/under on the Demonrats and their complicit media labelling him a racist, bigoted, homophobe on or before November 6th (aka election day 2018) or will they hold off until November 7th?
They and the criminal eGOP have already begun the assault on Jordan with the attempt to smear him with that wrestling sexual abuse case nonsense.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proud to say he is my congressman.
Have met and spoken to him numerous times.
The guy has guts.
I think they are trying to get him out of congress just like they are trying to get Trump out of office.

Jordan is a great guy, who has no ego. He is an honest and good family man.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
They and the criminal eGOP have already begun the assault on Jordan with the attempt to smear him with that wrestling sexual abuse case nonsense.

Yep. Seems to have died down though once people saw it for what it was.

The next shoe will drop soon.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post