SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Helene
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Helene Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gen. Honore was head of the combined services support efforts in NOLA when DOD spooled up and responded, that is very true. However, it was the USCG Chief of Staff (Admiral Allen) who was appointed to head the overall effort and Brownie (who hadn't done all that great a job) was sidelined. I had to look up this on Wikipedia to refresh the memories, but yes, FEMA is fumbling on some of the very same issues once again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...to_Hurricane_Katrina

Posts: 3406 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As ZSMICHAEL said there's another Hurricane coming at us from the western Gulf and our home/town/Church/life is right, exactly, in the middle of the bullseye on the Cone of Death that extends from the Big Bend to the Keys. It's still a TS now, but expected to be a Cat 2 when it gets here. Yuck!

Praying for His Grace and Mercy but I can't pray the storm turns away somewhere 'cause then, in effect, I'm praying some other "Bob" will get its effects and I can't do that.

My wife's up in PA (I married a pretty, young Yankee girl 'bout 40 years ago) at the Penn State game, but she should be back early Monday. I'm still as battened down from the last one as I can be but I'm hoping this one fizzes out in the middle of the Gulf.

EDIT: Darn! Now they say it'll be a Cat 3.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1678 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing to look at is the radius of hurricane force winds and the size of the storm. That makes a big difference. Katrina was huge Cat 5 storm but hit land as a Cat 3. The surge here was 28 feet which wiped out 30 miles of beachfront.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post