SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of spider is this? (arachnophobes beware)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of spider is this? (arachnophobes beware) Login/Join 
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted
Found this spider on my grill cover last weekend. Left it alone, and it was out of sight by the time I put the cover back on. Pulled the grill cover today, and saw it again, this time with what I'm guessing is an egg sac!

So what do I have here?

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Squishable

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Seems like it'd be fairly easy to kill it with fire since the grill is right there .....

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Harmless.

Some variety of common Wolf Spider.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34394 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Dunno what it is, but at my house that is turned to a stain before the hatch.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Eh, I don't have any problem with spiders generally so long as they aren't the venemous kind (even those I leave alone unless near the house or where I walk the dog).

This girl looks like a bug-killing machine, so I'll leave her be. Enemy of my enemy, and all that.

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Is that an egg sac (I'm referring to the white thing beneath the spider) in the 2nd pic?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Nursery web spider...they can vary in color and pattern and for some reason like to hang out with their front legs doubled up like that...I see them from time to time on my screen on the porch...

Pretty much harmless (unless they make you hurt yourself) Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Is that an egg sac (I'm referring to the white thing beneath the spider) in the 2nd pic?

Yep. I assume that's why her abdomen got smaller. Pictures were taken about one week apart.

The grill cover is sitting on the railing now. While I was grilling, she picked up the sac and moved it to a crevice in the cover. Seems to further confirm the nursery web spider ID from Bisleyblackhawk (thanks!).

posted Hide Post
That, like most spiders, is a good one to have around.

Those babies will eat alot of bugs.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post