SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Militarys Most Powerful Cannon - Electromagnetic Railgun - Shoots 100 miles - Mach 7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Militarys Most Powerful Cannon - Electromagnetic Railgun - Shoots 100 miles - Mach 7 Login/Join 
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
My public school math says that's about 1.5 miles per second muzzle velocity. A MiG-29 can go about 1520mph, per Google, so that is about ~0.42miles per second.

So for aerial targets 3 miles out (ridiculously close), that EM round would take 2 seconds from fire to intercept, and in that 2 seconds any deviation from calculated flight path would likely mean a miss, right?

I see this as a spectacular land to sea weapon (ships are sitting ducks with this), or land to land. Maybe I'm missing something?

A Mig getting to within 3nm of an HVU during a hot war would be a situational awareness failure. Anyway, your scenario is why there is layered defense.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about this gun and technology. Our military can rarely obtain approval to fire on potential threats that are all but next to them. Can you imagine them trying to get approval to fire on a threat beyond the horizon? We need some serious changes to our ROE (that are likely never coming) before putting this tech in place.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I have mixed feelings about this gun and technology. Our military can rarely obtain approval to fire on potential threats that are all but next to them. Can you imagine them trying to get approval to fire on a threat beyond the horizon? We need some serious changes to our ROE (that are likely never coming) before putting this tech in place.

I think the Navy threw a bunch of TLAM's at some targets well over the horizon in Syria not too long ago. Drones kind of blur what the horizon is anyway what with the controller being in the U.S. and target 10,000 miles away.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very nice muzzle flashes! Obviously does not require chemical propellants to produce them.

One advantage of the rail gun technology is that the projectile speed is not limited by the burn rate of a chemical propellant.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post